Kayak on The Edge

I quickly mounted my roof racks on a 2011 Edge Limited with a BAMR. First time I've every installed roof racks on a bare roof. I've always transported kayaks on cars with roof racks. Time to send Ford a friendly suggestion.

I've attached a photo of one of my kayaks. The boat's 18 feet long and dwarfs the Edge. I put the boat on the bare rails, but need to install a Thule Slipstream which contains a roller. Unfortunately, rear crossbar's a long way from the rear of the car and you definitely need a roller assembly to slide the boat. Also, the Slipstream provides better support for the boat's hull. I can add my tiedowns right where the bulkheads meet the hull for added rigidity.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to secure the bow. I may run a Bison Hookm through the grille. Next, run a line from the bow to the Hookm. I'll attach a stern line to the tow hitch.

post-95-015436800 1303068274_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I quickly mounted my roof racks on a 2011 Edge Limited with a BAMR. First time I've every installed roof racks on a bare roof. I've always transported kayaks on cars with roof racks. Time to send Ford a friendly suggestion.

I've attached a photo of one of my kayaks. The boat's 18 feet long and dwarfs the Edge. I put the boat on the bare rails, but need to install a Thule Slipstream which contains a roller. Unfortunately, rear crossbar's a long way from the rear of the car and you definitely need a roller assembly to slide the boat. Also, the Slipstream provides better support for the boat's hull. I can add my tiedowns right where the bulkheads meet the hull for added rigidity.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to secure the bow. I may run a Bison Hookm through the grille. Next, run a line from the bow to the Hookm. I'll attach a stern line to the tow hitch.

That looks awesome.

For the front, I've seen some just run a loop under one of the fender bolts under the hood.

Whatever you do, more pics please.

That looks awesome.

For the front, I've seen some just run a loop under one of the fender bolts under the hood.

Whatever you do, more pics please.

Thanks, I'll post photos or ideas once I try out a couple. I picked up a pair of these http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=768&idcategory=0 and the others with just the grommet. I'd prefer to use a a strap around the bumper or something instead of opening the hood because we all know how difficult the hood closes on the Edge.

I miss the tow bolts Volvo used on my XC 70. The bolts bolted to the car's frame/body making an extremely secure tiedown point at bow and stern.

• 11 months later...

I'm scratchin' my head on how to secure the bow and stern. I have a 14' kayak that I'll have on haulraisers. I'm trying to decide how I have to modify some hooks under the Edge to be able to secure the kayak. I'd love to see what you decide to do.

I use one the following under the hood - http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Watersports/Accessories/530-Quick-Loop-Strap for a bow tiedown. Stern, tie off on the trailer hitch. I'm still looking for a good bow tiedown method too.