2011 Ford Edge dash lighting dim at night?

I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited that I picked up a few days ago, and I've noticed at night that the lighting on the speedometer and the two LCD's on either side get pretty dim, even when the brightness is turned all the way up. During the day they are much brighter.. I wish I could make the display not dim at all.

I've already figured out how to do this on the 8" touchscreen as there is an option for that, but I can find no such option on the dash.. anyone have any tips or tricks?

I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited that I picked up a few days ago, and I've noticed at night that the lighting on the speedometer and the two LCD's on either side get pretty dim, even when the brightness is turned all the way up. During the day they are much brighter.. I wish I could make the display not dim at all.

I've already figured out how to do this on the 8" touchscreen as there is an option for that, but I can find no such option on the dash.. anyone have any tips or tricks?

As soon as you turn on the parking lights or headlights, the dash will dim. There's no work around unless you're willing to get in there an replace whatever emitter is in there. If it's LED, you could get one that puts out more light.

I assume that the LCDs have built in back lighting that would be nearly impossible to mess with; whether CCFL or LED.

Another idea would be to trick the system to 'not dim' when the light switch leaves the off position.

Check the settings in the Touch menus.

Try turning off auto dimming.

I saw those before, and it seems to affect the big 8" touchscreen, but not the speedo and the two smaller LCD's.. were you able to find a way to keep them bright on your Edge?

I saw those before, and it seems to affect the big 8" touchscreen, but not the speedo and the two smaller LCD's.. were you able to find a way to keep them bright on your Edge?

I found a way to make them dim. I suppose you can turn off the auto dimming feature and then they should stay bright.

I'm not sure how the this plays into the mix but check your hard switches for instrument lighting to the left of your steering column, Is yours turned all the way up?

On the Touch menu for the display lights, I select Auto Dimming then there is a slider control to tell it how much of an offset to dim when the lights come on.

It controls all displays. In fact, when the lights automatically turn off, I see a bar graph in the left hand LCD telling me that the display is being set to bright.

• 4 weeks later...

I found a way to make them dim. I suppose you can turn off the auto dimming feature and then they should stay bright.

I'm not sure how the this plays into the mix but check your hard switches for instrument lighting to the left of your steering column, Is yours turned all the way up?

On the Touch menu for the display lights, I select Auto Dimming then there is a slider control to tell it how much of an offset to dim when the lights come on.

It controls all displays. In fact, when the lights automatically turn off, I see a bar graph in the left hand LCD telling me that the display is being set to bright.

On my Edge, even with everything set to bright (both the physical control to left of steering wheel and the settings on 8" LCD) the displays still dim, and the speedometer dims pretty significantly. By now I have pretty much learned to live with it, but I always liked the really bright analog dials on electroluminescent displays (like Lexus, etc) and during the day the speedo is nice and bright.. wish I could make it stay that way. Small grumble but hey :)

• 2 years later...