"XXX KM To Empty" - Why Do I Get A Diifferent Number Every Fill Up??

Dreamss

I just don't get it....Each time I fill up, the screen which shows me how many km's I have to empty is completely different. 

For example, I filled up back around 2 months ago and I was showing 579 km's to empty once I left the gas station which I was thrilled to see. Then the next time I filled up I showed something close to 499 until empty. I filled up yesterday and couldn't believe it but now showed 454 km's to empty? Why would I get such different results?

On almost all accounts, I prob had less than 20 km's left to empty or approx 1/8th in the tank give or take by the reading. 

Don't know if it makes a difference or not, but when I find gas at a really good price, I tend to fill then overfill, meaning I will slowly pull out the nozzle 3 to 4 times so I can get it extra full but I doubt this makes a difference?

The results are not a few km's away, we are up to 100 at times? What are people showing when they fill up all the way? Is there something I need to reset prior or after filling up to make it read correctly?

Now, second question:

As much as I am showing 499 km's to empty, knowing in my head I should probably have more, when I drive highway or city I notice that it's not 1 for 1 with my millage. I was driving highway on cruise control set to 105 and I was getting roughly 2 km's on the tachometer for every 1 km being reduced on my KM to empty screen I guess making up for the lower number? Is this normal? Not always the same in the city but I have seen this.

Lastly,

How sensitive is the fuel indicator? I am asking as I've put gas in on 2 occasions and the km's to empty has not reflected it and didn't rise. I was in a bad situation about 2 months ago, had something like 5 km's left till empty and only had $10 on me. I put in the $10 but the millage left to empty never went up, it stayed at the same 5 km's.

Any help to these 3 questions would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Tony

I just don't get it....Each time I fill up, the screen which shows me how many km's I have to empty is completely different. 

For example, I filled up back around 2 months ago and I was showing 579 km's to empty once I left the gas station which I was thrilled to see. Then the next time I filled up I showed something close to 499 until empty. I filled up yesterday and couldn't believe it but now showed 454 km's to empty? Why would I get such different results?

On almost all accounts, I prob had less than 20 km's left to empty or approx 1/8th in the tank give or take by the reading. 

Don't know if it makes a difference or not, but when I find gas at a really good price, I tend to fill then overfill, meaning I will slowly pull out the nozzle 3 to 4 times so I can get it extra full but I doubt this makes a difference?

The results are not a few km's away, we are up to 100 at times? What are people showing when they fill up all the way? Is there something I need to reset prior or after filling up to make it read correctly?

Now, second question:

As much as I am showing 499 km's to empty, knowing in my head I should probably have more, when I drive highway or city I notice that it's not 1 for 1 with my millage. I was driving highway on cruise control set to 105 and I was getting roughly 2 km's on the tachometer for every 1 km being reduced on my KM to empty screen I guess making up for the lower number? Is this normal? Not always the same in the city but I have seen this.

Lastly,

How sensitive is the fuel indicator? I am asking as I've put gas in on 2 occasions and the km's to empty has not reflected it and didn't rise. I was in a bad situation about 2 months ago, had something like 5 km's left till empty and only had $10 on me. I put in the $10 but the millage left to empty never went up, it stayed at the same 5 km's.

Any help to these 3 questions would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Tony

You km to empty will be based on some average fuel economy. Not sure which one though since there is many different fuel economy numbers stored. There is 2 trip screens, each one with its own fuel economy number and in addition, on the fuel economy screen, you have bar graphs for programmed intervals + an overall number. My guess is that it uses some recent average, so your km to empty will fluctuate quite a bit.

Fill-up habits will have nothing to do with the calculation.

Fuel sending units have a lot of filtering to eliminate display fluctuations due to slosh. So adding $10 might not register very fast.

BTW: Its not a good idea to "overfill". You run the risk of getting liquid fuel in your vapor lines which could cause failues to the EVAP system.

I've also noticed that the tank will still have 2+ gallons left when the fuel gage shows empty (0 km to go). The gallons (liters) used seems pretty accurate.

Thanks for replying, was hoping for some logical feedback!

Based on taking a trip and doing only highway driving, cruise set to 105 km's / hour non stop for a 8 plus hour road trip, for a limited AWD, how many km's can I expect to do on a full tank? 600 kms +\-?

No stops, just get on highway and 1st stop would be to refuel.

Thanks again!

Thanks for replying, was hoping for some logical feedback!

Based on taking a trip and doing only highway driving, cruise set to 105 km's / hour non stop for a 8 plus hour road trip, for a limited AWD, how many km's can I expect to do on a full tank? 600 kms +\-?

No stops, just get on highway and 1st stop would be to refuel.

Thanks again!

Well, I average 20 MPG, mostly highway but at higher speed. So assume you could get 22 MPG and the AWD has a 21 gallon tank, then you can go 462 miles = 760 km.

Well, I average 20 MPG, mostly highway but at higher speed. So assume you could get 22 MPG and the AWD has a 21 gallon tank, then you can go 462 miles = 760 km.

I've got a FWD with the 67 liter tank, on a normal fillup it takes about 50 liters of Gas to fill the tank after the light comes on (showing 80 kms left) at that point I have usually traveled approx 500 kms, so a full tank for me seems to yeild about 580 kms (mixed driving 60% highway, 40% city), I would think pure highway may take you 600 kms but I wouldn't count on much more. Usually when I fill up it shows 580-620 kms to empty.. I guess it depends on the pump and how full the tank gets. I usually let the pump click once, then start again, and stop when it clicks for the 2nd time.

M.