Can you change the K on the 2011 fog lights?

Hey, I thought I saw a topic about someone making the driving lights brighter. Are they led's or can you throw different bulbs in there and make them brighter?

yogregb did it.

We presume that he installed the lights behind his current bar. I was going to check behind there and see what kind of room there is. Seems to be just 2 hex to remove by the wheel well for access. Will probably do that this weekend.

search DRL light bar here and on Google to find out the type of thing he used. They were about $150.00 for the knock off philips-type DRL led bars.

Edited by cal3thousand

Something is wrong with the search btw.. i searched "fog" in titles only and zero threads came up.

Instead of cluttering up the forum with a similar thread.. i got a dumb question about the "fogs".

Are they fogs? Or just driving lamps? I have even been thru my owners manual, and I can't find anything that tells me how to turn on the "fog lamps". The obvious answer is no switch exists, but i want to make sure.

Also, how do i know if I have the "auto" headlights feature. I can turn my headlamp switch to it, but how do i know if its working? (in daytime). Would it have been a separate option on my window sticker? Maybe i just don't have it, because I have a Sport.

Edited by jackson5

Something is wrong with the search btw.. i searched "fog" in titles only and zero threads came up.

Instead of cluttering up the forum with a similar thread.. i got a dumb question about the "fogs".

Are they fogs? Or just driving lamps? I have even been thru my owners manual, and I can't find anything that tells me how to turn on the "fog lamps". The obvious answer is no switch exists, but i want to make sure.

Also, how do i know if I have the "auto" headlights feature. I can turn my headlamp switch to it, but how do i know if its working? (in daytime). Would it have been a separate option on my window sticker? Maybe i just don't have it, because I have a Sport.

They are just nice looking parking lamps. Not nearly enough throw for a fog light.

Its actually a vertical firing led that is being diffused through an acrylic bar that has slits molded in.

They are just nice looking parking lamps. Not nearly enough throw for a fog light.

Its actually a vertical firing led that is being diffused through an acrylic bar that has slits molded in.

thanks.. cuz i was trying to pull outward on my headlight knob which i read about somewhere.. it doesnt pull out.. so i guess i dont have it.

The Auto setting is just that when it becomes dark enough the headlights will kick on. There is a sensor in the middle of your dash. There are no constantly on daytime running lights unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

yogregb did it.

We presume that he installed the lights behind his current bar. I was going to check behind there and see what kind of room there is. Seems to be just 2 hex to remove by the wheel well for access. Will probably do that this weekend.

search DRL light bar here and on Google to find out the type of thing he used. They were about $150.00 for the knock off philips-type DRL led bars.

Hey Cal3, you ever get a chance to pull the bars out? I ordered the Phillips yogregb used and will be installing next week, just wondering if you had any insight in getting the OEMs out of there before I inevitably start breaking things back there ;)

Hey Cal3, you ever get a chance to pull the bars out? I ordered the Phillips yogregb used and will be installing next week, just wondering if you had any insight in getting the OEMs out of there before I inevitably start breaking things back there ;)

Actually I did have a look.

While wrapping my grille in vinyl, I pull the front bumper cover and had a good look back there. There's enough room in there to mount a desktop computer if you wanted. :lol:

Unfortunately, my camera (phone) was acting up that day so I only have one image of it:

Light%20Bar%20-%20Back%20side.jpg

This shot was from the wheel well with the liner pulled back. You could get to this point on each side without taking the full bumper cover off (although it takes only 10 minutes after the first time).

You can see where the pigtail connected to there at the bottom of the light bar. The LED sits in there firing upwards shooting a beam the length of the bar. There are about 4 clips holding the whole unit in (I didn't venture far enough to take them out yet as I was busy wrapping the grille). Looks like you could remove just the grey plastic and cut out (dremel) a section to fit your light bars in back and fire them through the bar.

Plenty of room to mount a relay if you wanted to change how the lights were controlled.

I'm thinking about putting some LED bars in there with a controller that would display a "power on" sequence on start up. We'll see.

Which LEDs did you purchase?

Actually I did have a look.

While wrapping my grille in vinyl, I pull the front bumper cover and had a good look back there. There's enough room in there to mount a desktop computer if you wanted. :lol:

Unfortunately, my camera (phone) was acting up that day so I only have one image of it:

Light%20Bar%20-%20Back%20side.jpg

This shot was from the wheel well with the liner pulled back. You could get to this point on each side without taking the full bumper cover off (although it takes only 10 minutes after the first time).

You can see where the pigtail connected to there at the bottom of the light bar. The LED sits in there firing upwards shooting a beam the length of the bar. There are about 4 clips holding the whole unit in (I didn't venture far enough to take them out yet as I was busy wrapping the grille). Looks like you could remove just the grey plastic and cut out (dremel) a section to fit your light bars in back and fire them through the bar.

Plenty of room to mount a relay if you wanted to change how the lights were controlled.

I'm thinking about putting some LED bars in there with a controller that would display a "power on" sequence on start up. We'll see.

Which LEDs did you purchase?

These ones

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Philips-Day-Light-LED-Daytime-Running-Lights-DRL-p/led_ddl_sku_7c.htm

Sounds like they should fit pretty soundly back there.

Did you jack up the Edge and take the wheel off before pulling the cover back? And were there only the 2 screws you first surmised (and plenty of clips I'm sure) holding it in place?

The vinyl wrap looks great btw. Thanks for the pic!

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment!

I did not have to jack up the vehicle to open the wheel well. There's actually 3 hex screws (7/32" IIRC) or 5.5mm.

I honestly feel that only those 3 would be require to work in this area. BUT since it is so easy to remove the bumper cover, I would pull the whole thing and work on it in my living room or something.

What I did was lay a utility blanket down and pulled off the Bumper Cover and lay it on it's face.

Steps to remove front bumper:

open hood

unscrew 4 plastic screws and remove the 4 anchors ( you'll see what I mean )

loosen the 2 hex screws in front of the anchors (don't remove them)

unscrew and remove the 7/32" fender screws in the wheel well (3 each side)

Look inside the well and locate the screws that are upside down holding the bottom of the bumper cover to the car. (6-8 or so?)

On each side, locate above the wheel well, the area where the fender meets the bumper cover.

Put your fingers inside on the bumper cover and pull it back until it unclips from the fender (it will pop slightly and you might be apprehensive at first. But if made sure to get all the screws, nothing should break.

Also unclip the pigtail for the light bars on both sides.

After you have done both sides and have laid down utility blanket or cardboard, remove the last 2 screws that you loosened in the 3rd step.

At this point, you should be able to lift the whole face off and lay it down. Be careful, as it will have a tendency to fall on its face if just stood up.

Here's the instructions I used. It was for a 07-10 model, but everything is essentially the same:

http://mechanixtrix.com/Article/Article.aspx?ArticleId=405

• Like 1

Dude that's awesome...thanks so much for the advice and the link! Now I'm thinking you've got the right idea with taking the bumper off...who knows how tricky the retrofit will be, or what kind of fabrication needs to be done.

I'll try to take detailed pics and put together a diy for anyone else who's interested.

Dude that's awesome...thanks so much for the advice and the link! Now I'm thinking you've got the right idea with taking the bumper off...who knows how tricky the retrofit will be, or what kind of fabrication needs to be done.

I'll try to take detailed pics and put together a diy for anyone else who's interested.

Cool.

I look forward to your write-up.