High pitch whine

One of my rear seat passengers heard a high pitch sound which I had never heard. Now of course, I can't stop listening to it! It almost sounds like a ringing in the ears or a whistling and it has no apparent cause. It is most noticeable in the rear driver's side seat. I've ruled out the door speaker and it doesn't change when the engine is revved so I'm at a loss as to the cause.

Has anyone else heard this noise? If so, do you have a clue about what causes it?

I'm bringing it in tomorrow anyway to get my nav and sat radio installed, so I'll ask the dealer to check it out as well.

Thanks in advance.

I noted it as well, it usually happens when the car is first started, and seems to die off (or i get used to it) after a bit of driving. I think it might be an electrical noise possibly around the sub in the trunk area. It can be annoying, but i just turn up the stereo and cant hear it anymore. It happens with the radio on or off though. Let us know what you find. It is intermittent, some days i dont hear anything even with the radio off.

Edited by sim

I noted it as well, it usually happens when the car is first started, and seems to die off (or i get used to it) after a bit of driving. I think it might be an electrical noise possibly around the sub in the trunk area. It can be annoying, but i just turn up the stereo and cant hear it anymore. It happens with the radio on or off though. Let us know what you find. It is intermittent, some days i dont hear anything even with the radio off.

Yes, I thought it was stereo related as well, but I don't have the sub yet, and the door speaker is not the source as far as I can tell.

I asked the dealer to check it out for me and explained as clearly as I could what the sound was like, so hopefully it won't be a "couldn't reproduce customer complaint"! Both the service assistant and the business manager of the dealership are personal friends of mine, so they'll follow through on it. If necessary I'll sit them in the back seat until they hear it themselves!

Yes, I thought it was stereo related as well, but I don't have the sub yet, and the door speaker is not the source as far as I can tell.

I asked the dealer to check it out for me and explained as clearly as I could what the sound was like, so hopefully it won't be a "couldn't reproduce customer complaint"! Both the service assistant and the business manager of the dealership are personal friends of mine, so they'll follow through on it. If necessary I'll sit them in the back seat until they hear it themselves!

Looks like I'm going to have to tie them up in the back seat! They said they can't hear anything! :banghead:

So much for friendship!

Edited by speedtrap63

I've noticed it as well. It is usually when the car is accelerating. I thought it might've been some engine noise through the stereo myself.

It really wasn't enough to upset me. If you can't notice it, what's the big deal anyways? :shift:

It wasn't a big deal to me either until a passenger mentioned it, and then I heard it all the time. Of course once the stereo is turned up, no more whine!

Alternator whine? Its caused by a difference in electrical potential between two points. You need to isolate your power to your head unit from the engine. Wait....is this a factory system with no modification? If so, is the whine only coming from one speaker?

Edit: This may help...

Noise Problem Troubleshooting: Whining noise

reh

Edited by rehtaf

Alternator whine? Its caused by a difference in electrical potential between two points. You need to isolate your power to your head unit from the engine. Wait....is this a factory system with no modification? If so, is the whine only coming from one speaker?

Edit: This may help...

Noise Problem Troubleshooting: Whining noise

reh

This is a factory system, but the whine is most noticeable when the unit is off and as far as I can tell it doesn't eminate from a speaker at all. I had my ear against the rear seat driver's side speaker and it was no louder than when sitting in that seat. Although, its gotta be coming from somewhere, so maybe I just can't isolate it.

Thanks for the Crutchfield article, I'll check out some of the things.

I see no one has mentioned the fuel pump as a possible source of the whine.

Just a thought for another place to try and isolate the noise.

Since if it happens with the radio off, I would doubt the radio is the source.

Any ways good luck tracking it down, and please keep everyone updated.

• 5 years later...

I heard a high pitched whine in my garage just after I pulled the Edge in and turned it off. This was the only time I noticed it but it was so unusual I called my wife in to try to track down the source. Later, I noticed a neighbor was using her electric leaf blower. The blower seemed to be making the same high pitched whistle that I heard. :hysterical3: