Edge wheel bearing troubles

I've only got 25 000 km on my Sport and one of the rear wheel bearings is shot, Wtf? This thing has never been on gravel roads and hasn't hit too many potholes I expected more from FORD on quality and reliability. This POS has been in the shop for many months in the year and a half that I've owned it. One problem after another...... Now it's feels like the tranny is losing its drive when accelerating from a stop sign for a second or two, will it never end! Hell my old ford Aerostar with 350.000 km on it only took $400 dollars a year to maintain. Seems as though Ford is going backwards on quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1923 T Bucket, which has something like 1940 brakes on the front. The bearing and seals have Ford on them. That is how long bearing should last. Ford started having a lot of warranty work on bearings in the early 90's. The T birds and explorers were notorious with rear diff bearing problems. The fungus has spread across the product line. The Escapes seem to have gotten more than their share. I am sure it is related to being manufactured in China. Does the NTSB keep track of problems like this? I'll bet Ford could compile some numbers, but we will never see them.

• 1 month later...

It's going back to the dealership next week to get the other rear wheel bearing replaced. It's also getting a checkvalve in the transmission done as well. :(

Is this being done under warranty? My first wheel bearing was done under warranty, but it sounds like one or both of the rear wheel bearings are going, and I have 66K miles. Just wondering if you knew what kind of damage this would do to my wallet.

Is this being done under warranty? My first wheel bearing was done under warranty, but it sounds like one or both of the rear wheel bearings are going, and I have 66K miles. Just wondering if you knew what kind of damage this would do to my wallet.

Did they replace the hub assembly the first time? If not then you might be able to get it covered now since that's the root cause of the bearing failures from what I understand.

Did they replace the hub assembly the first time? If not then you might be able to get it covered now since that's the root cause of the bearing failures from what I understand.

They did, but that was the left front. This is one or both of the rear bearings, or possibly even the differential or carrier. I can't feel any roughness when spinning either rear wheel, nor in the driveshaft. And there is no real noise that you can hear outside the vehicle at speed. This noise and vibration comes up through the chassis. Since an alignment and balancing all 4 tires didn't help, I'm not sure what else I can do at home to pin this down.

They did, but that was the left front. This is one or both of the rear bearings, or possibly even the differential or carrier. I can't feel any roughness when spinning either rear wheel, nor in the driveshaft. And there is no real noise that you can hear outside the vehicle at speed. This noise and vibration comes up through the chassis. Since an alignment and balancing all 4 tires didn't help, I'm not sure what else I can do at home to pin this down.

Doesn't sound like wheel bearings to me. A good mechanic can use chassis ears to pinpoint the source.

And the answer is: Right rear wheel bearing, plus a trailing arm, for $575. They claim Ford recommends the trailing arm replacement as "that is part of what causes the wheel bearings to fail", and that both of them don't need to be replaced. The service writer is clueless, doesn't know what a TSB is much less how to find one. So I am on the search. I've watched a lot of threads since my original wheel bearing issue and this is the first time I am hearing about trailing arms.

• 1 month later...

Duh, and there it is: 10-2-09. Replace the trailing link along with the hub and bearing assembly. Apparently I cannot read and the memory is gone as well. Still annoyed at the dealer, but I should have remembered this one.

I'm a little late here but it was done under warranty, that's both rear wheel bearings within 27 000km and a year and a half. Not confidence inspiiring. I'm told they replaced the right trailing arm also.