On the search for lightweight 20" rims

jackson5

The mileage is starting to get annoying, (averaging 16mpg), and my excitement over the 22" bling will subside soon. I'm sure people have done a lot of research on nice lightweight 20" rims. I dont want to go smaller than 20", as i do like big-ish rims.

I'm trying to decide if i want any chrome in there, i am more of a black rim guy really, especially with its contrast on a white car. I am very picky about rims and rarely see any i love.

Anyone want to post examples of your aftermarket rims to give me some ideas? Even if they arent 20's..

Edited by jackson5

The mileage is starting to get annoying, (averaging 16mpg), and my excitement over the 22" bling will subside soon. I'm sure people have done a lot of research on nice lightweight 20" rims. I dont want to go smaller than 20", as i do like big-ish rims.

I'm trying to decide if i want any chrome in there, i am more of a black rim guy really, especially with its contrast on a white car. I am very picky about rims and rarely see any i love.

Anyone want to post examples of your aftermarket rims to give me some ideas? Even if they arent 20's..

What kind of rims do you like the most? thin spokes? large swept spokes?

With a Sport, I would stick to the black face and chrome or polished lip look. I prefer 18s on these cars unless the brakes are going to be upgraded with a BBK that has larger rotors. I like the rotor to fill up most of the wheel well. Nothing I hate more than seeing a car with tiny brakes and huge rims.

On another note, I measured the face of my CC 18s and it measures 20" at the lip.

Edited by cal3thousand

What kind of rims do you like the most? thin spokes? large swept spokes?

With a Sport, I would stick to the black face and chrome or polished lip look. I prefer 18s on these cars unless the brakes are going to be upgraded with a BBK that has larger rotors. I like the rotor to fill up most of the wheel well. Nothing I hate more than seeing a car with tiny brakes and huge rims.

On another note, I measured the face of my CC 18s and it measures 20" at the lip.

ya i mean 18's would be ok, only if they were super light tho.. its a bit small for this vehicle to me. there would have to be a big upside. im missing my small fast car lately.. hopefully its just a phase.

ya i mean 18's would be ok, only if they were super light tho.. its a bit small for this vehicle to me. there would have to be a big upside. im missing my small fast car lately.. hopefully its just a phase.

Was just looking at choices on Tire Rack and it seems that 20" wheels will be about 5-10 lbs heavier than their 18" counterparts per wheel.

Was just looking at choices on Tire Rack and it seems that 20" wheels will be about 5-10 lbs heavier than their 18" counterparts per wheel.

ya i keep looking at the KMC rockstars, which are 27 lb per 20" rim. Seems lighter than most. Escpecially if my 22"s are the rumored 40-50 lbs EACH like ive read.. a 15-20 pound per wheel reduction could easily translate into 2 more mpg, not to mention way better take off from a stop.

I was gonna take off my 22" wheel/tire TODAY and put it on an actual scale. And get a pic.. has anyone done that before?

I wont believe the rumors of 90-95 lbs a wheel until i see it with my own eyes... i want picture proof, and ill provide it if no one has yet.

oh and i agree... my tiny brakes look stupid in these wheels..

Edited by jackson5

ya i keep looking at the KMC rockstars, which are 27 lb per 20" rim. Seems lighter than most. Escpecially if my 22"s are the rumored 40-50 lbs EACH like ive read..

I was gonna take off my 22" wheel/tire TODAY and put it on an actual scale. And get a pic.. has anyone done that before?

I wont believe the rumors of 90-95 lbs a wheel until i see it with my own eyes... i want picture proof, and ill provide it if no one has yet.

Please do it... I would love to see this...

In fact, I will pull my CC 18's and weight one this weekend if you bust out the 22's.

Please do it... I would love to see this...

In fact, I will pull my CC 18's and weight one this weekend if you bust out the 22's.

i just let my wife borrow it to go on an errand... unfortunately im thinking of passing it to her within a year... i like fast small cars, and i had a bit of an impulse buy.. luckily i only owe $24k on it already.. put $15k down. when she gets back, ill find a few mins to go do this test..

what is this "CC" code you always talk about? Thats a VW model.

Edited by jackson5

i just let my wife borrow it to go on an errand... unfortunately im thinking of passing it to her within a year... i like fast small cars, and i had a bit of an impulse buy.. luckily i only owe $24k on it already.. put $15k down. when she gets back, ill find a few mins to go do this test..

what is this "CC" code you always talk about? Thats a VW model.

I'm lazy to type out Chrome Clad. :lol:

And the truth about the 22" rim/tire combo, with maybe a +/-3 lb variance. I knew they weren't no 90-95 lbs a corner...

Did a few separate weights to get a good average:

Good lord that's heavy.

dude, i been waiting for your 18" CC wheel weight forever.. my Sport 3.7L has got incredibly fast as it hit 1000 miles. i'm almost deciding to keep it, but not quite. it really moves now, even with those 20" rims. i can imagine it must seriously haul ass if i had some wheels half the weight on it...

dude, i been waiting for your 18" CC wheel weight forever.. my Sport 3.7L has got incredibly fast as it hit 1000 miles. i'm almost deciding to keep it, but not quite. it really moves now, even with those 20" rims. i can imagine it must seriously haul ass if i had some wheels half the weight on it...

I'm so sorry... my jack got..... jacked :lol:

I need to run out to Harbor Freight to get a new one and haven't had time to. I will try my darndest to do it Saturday. Will PM you after I do it.

• 3 weeks later...