Rear Brake Rotor

jkmmenzies

Rotor will not come off....everything else does but rotor seems to be held by something...any ideas?

I'm thinking rust and/or parking brake.

If you don't have the parking brake on and you've removed all fasteners holding it, all you should need to do is give it a good whack with a mallet to jar it off. Some type of rust loosener is advisable.

Want to post a pic of where you're at?

• 2 weeks later...

Rotor will not come off....everything else does but rotor seems to be held by something...any ideas?

I am having the same problem . Have you found the solution yet. It seems to me the the emergency brake needs to be released but how do you do that.

Thanks

billb3118

I'm thinking rust and/or parking brake.

If you don't have the parking brake on and you've removed all fasteners holding it, all you should need to do is give it a good whack with a mallet to jar it off. Some type of rust loosener is advisable.

Want to post a pic of where you're at?

• 4 years later...

someone answered this in another part of the forum but I can't find the link anymore. their answers helped me but I added some steps. First let me detail what they offered.

1. The rotor is also a drum brake! inside the rotor you will find that it houses a circular brake shoe. Often there is rust build up on the drum that prevents the rotor/drum from easily being removed!

2. there is a small rubber plug on the rotor that when removed will give you access to the drum brake adjuster. My adjuster was around the 12 oclock position and hard to see.

3. you can adjust the brake shoes either tighter or looser depending on the direction you spin the adjuster. Use a flat screw drive to turn the adjuster wheel. it has small teeth on it. rotate the wheel while doing this to determine if you are tightening or loosening the brake shoes

4. Some folks suggested removing the e-brake cable / bracket to free the shoes. this did not help me

5. some folks suggested putting lug nuts back on the studs and using a crowbar or other long bar to turn the wheel while periodically beating on the drum to work the thing off. this did knock much of the rust off but was still hard going.

6. The final answer for me was taking a 16" piece of angle iron, laying it across the rotor resting on lug nuts so it was horizontal. Then I took two short bar clamps forcing the forward one in between the rotor and the rotor shield and the back one just place right on the rotor. The bar clamps pull against the angle iron pushing on the center of the axel area and it allows you to bull directly on the rotor. You still need to tap/ bang with the mallot but it come off more easily and under control. Also an important note, before you use the clamps, make sure the adjustment/ access hole is facing the 8 or 9 o clock position.

7. As you start to work the rotor off, before you get too far, take a drift pin and via the access hole, carefully hammer the shoe back out of the drum. This will avoid ripping the shoes away from the spring that holds them in place

8. remember to adjust the e-brake shoes when you re assemble the system

Hope this helps, I really appreciated the info someone else shared so I'm trying to pay if forward.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Hi, I tried to remove back rotors today using the general information which I found here, but just it didn't turn out, the rotor wasn't removed though I regulated a flat wheel with teeths and to remove a tension of the emergency blocks. Now I want to try to take advice to make a stripper from металлическог a corner 16". Look at my image

thumb400.jpg

, I correctly understood principle of work of what I will need to make? I don't want anything to damage therefore I ask a question.

P.S.: also I want to specify, back rotors how freely have to rotate? (with the wrung-out emergency brake). Disturbs me that I put quite strong effort to shift a rotor and to rotate it hands. At the same time the flat wheel with teeth doesn't hold apart a block. This normal state? or it is a prolema of the basic bearing? I will upload video where it is visible as it occurs.

Edited by EDST777