Black Book value

igcitng

On my quest for a new Edge, dealers are telling me that my Kelly Blue Book calculatin is way off. Being told black book is what they will pay. I have not found online access to black book pricing. Can anyone help? My 2008 has low miles and is still under warranty and in excellent condition. I don't see how they can compare it to something they would buy at auction. On used lots they go for big bucks right now.

On my quest for a new Edge, dealers are telling me that my Kelly Blue Book calculatin is way off. Being told black book is what they will pay. I have not found online access to black book pricing. Can anyone help? My 2008 has low miles and is still under warranty and in excellent condition.

Black book is the local book that the dealers actually use to track wholesale prices based on auctions. It takes into account local conditions and up to the week supply and demand constraints. I don't think it's available online but if you know someone at the dealership they can probably check it for you.

I don't see how they can compare it to something they would buy at auction.

Why not? Let's say you're the used car sales manager. You can buy a nice used 2008 Edge at auction for $X or you can buy a nice used 2008 Edge from akirby for $X + $2K. The retail price is the same so why would you pay more for mine than you would for the same vehicle at auction?

There are exceptions for cars that are unique or in short supply/hard to find at auction or a car that the dealer thinks will fetch a premium over a typical auction car. But realistically, when you trade-in a vehicle you're only getting wholesale value (black book). Anything above that is coming from the new car deal (outside of the exceptions).

What are used ones selling for? That's probably the best gauge.

Kelly Bluebook says my trade should be 21,300. Edge SEL's with twice as many or more miles are selling for 25-27k. Mine is extra clean, still under warranty. Still smells new. So I think it is better than a garden variety auction car.

Dealer is going to try to make money on you. Whether from the car or from the trade in.

If you don't like the trade-in ... go elsewhere to sell it, and then come back and give them the loot for your new Edge.

Try a CarMax if you want to see a comparable rate for selling to a "dealer". They'll give you a quote that's good for 7 days. Otherwise, sell it yourself.