Undercoating "Homestyle"

fishx65

Just got done undercoating my 2011 SEL. Not a hard job if you have a set of ramps or a lift. I just used ramps. Mine was pretty clean so I just gave it a quick wipe-down with grease and wax remover before starting. I used a chunk of cardboard in one hand to avoid overspray and went to town with 7 cans of rubberized undercoating. Took me about 2 hours but I still need to remove the wheels to reach a few areas I wanna hit. I was gonna take it in but I've never been to happy with all the overspray the so called "professionals" seem to get all over the rims and body panels. After a lot of research, I went with 3M's Professional Rubberized Undercoat. Kind of expensive but works fantastic and has a shorter drying time. With an online code, I was able to get it from Advance Auto for around $6.50 per can. I plan on touching it up every year cuz Michigan's winter salt factory is a killer.

Just got done undercoating my 2011 SEL. Not a hard job if you have a set of ramps or a lift. I just used ramps. Mine was pretty clean so I just gave it a quick wipe-down with grease and wax remover before starting. I used a chunk of cardboard in one hand to avoid overspray and went to town with 7 cans of rubberized undercoating. Took me about 2 hours but I still need to remove the wheels to reach a few areas I wanna hit. I was gonna take it in but I've never been to happy with all the overspray the so called "professionals" seem to get all over the rims and body panels. After a lot of research, I went with 3M's Professional Rubberized Undercoat. Kind of expensive but works fantastic and has a shorter drying time. With an online code, I was able to get it from Advance Auto for around $6.50 per can. I plan on touching it up every year cuz Michigan's winter salt factory is a killer.

doesn't anybody see a problem using a rubberized coating as rust proofing?

doesn't anybody see a problem using a rubberized coating as rust proofing?

Yes, I don't think it's a good idea to use a rubberized undercoat for rustproofing as it would probably trap water in interior panels. A rustproofing product is much different then a undercoat product. 3M makes a few good rustproofing products that can be sprayed inside interior panels. Rubberized undercoat is strictly for underneath a vehicle and needs to be applied properly. If not done and maintained properly, it can actually do more damage then good. If done right, it can keep a "salt belt" vehicle's bottom rust free for a really long time.

Yes, I don't think it's a good idea to use a rubberized undercoat for rustproofing as it would probably trap water in interior panels. A rustproofing product is much different then a undercoat product. 3M makes a few good rustproofing products that can be sprayed inside interior panels. Rubberized undercoat is strictly for underneath a vehicle and needs to be applied properly. If not done and maintained properly, it can actually do more damage then good. If done right, it can keep a "salt belt" vehicle's bottom rust free for a really long time.

I agree, you said it all for me, I think an oil base product is a better solution, I also live in a salt belt, I oil my cars after 2 years after delivery, and then every other year, some say do it after 4 years as cars are better built to fight rust.