Tpms sensors question

KonaBlueSport

I have a 2001 Edge Sport. I don't want to run the 22's in the winter with the heavy salting that's done in my area.

So I purchased a set of 18 in Edge wheels from eBay. The issue is that they do not come with tpms sensors. I'm not sure if the 2011 Edge comes with in valve stem sensors or the strap on bands. Which one is compatable with my Edge???

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

Last month I bought a brand new 2011 Edge Limited AWD with the 18 in. chrome wheels and cut the final deal including 4 Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow winter tires.

Having winter tires out here is not a choice, living in Quebec, Canada, winter tires are mandatory from December 15th to March 15th since 2008 but TPMS are not .... From a safety point, it is a good thing to install winter tires from mid-November to Avril.

Trying to save the chrome wheels from going thru tire changes twice a year that would surely bring some minor damage to the finish everytime (looks easily damageable), I bought a full set of GLR Wheels, a nice looking winter mag wheels model Escobar-M http://www.glrwheels.../escobar-m.html on for 110 $/ea to mount my winter tires. From then, I will be able to change the wheels seasonnaly myself.

Being who I am, I've decided that I wouldn't go thru 4-5 months with the full 4 inches left display showing a warning message on everytime I (or my other half) drive the Edge so I bought 4 TPMS from the dealer AND the programmer. I know, I would not go thru the warning message for 5 months, while dealing for these this week, the TPMS warning light keeps coming on and off on my 2009 Dodge Charger and I hate it !!!

Back to the TPMS, right now and until December 14th, in Canada, Ford dealers are selling tires and tire parts (National Tire Event) at 10-15 % discount, so I bought a full TPMS kit :

4 TPMS called TPMS-12 (part no. 9L3Z-1A189-A) for $56.60 /each

1 programmer called TPMS-19 (part no. 8C2Z-1A203-A) for $32.60. Yup 32 bucks !!! - That programmer is the exact same piece sold for 45 $ by tirerack.com here : http://www.tirerack....itoring+Systems

By Friday, my mechanic will have received and installed the wheels and tires and I will program the TPMS sensors and let you know how it went.

Edited by slypx

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I would share my experience with TPMS's on the 11 Edge. I purchased 4 Ford TMPS sensors and the programmer as SLYPX did for my winter tires/rims.

I was originally going to go with after market TPMS's and have them cloned but the Ford OEM's came down to an almost justifiable price. I put Bilzzaks on 18" chrome OEM's. Drove for a week with no alterts then one morning it went off. Tried to use the programmer that evening but no go. I could not get the Edge in learn mode. Found in a mustang forum which indicated putting the car in run mode then cycling the hazzards 3 times puts in in learn mode. Tried it an it did and it did but it did not detect anything from the programmer. Went back to the tire place a few days later an they tried with thier programmer with no success. Turns out their programmer needs an upgrade as it only supported up to 2010 for the Edge. I believe they were band type TPMS in 2010 and earlier Edges. Was told I would have to go to the dealer to get them programmed. Decieded tonight to try the key (non push button start) directions for the programmer. Worked like a charm. Had them programmed in less that a minute. Turns out the instructions for push button start that tirerack has posted is incorrect, at least for the Edge.

There are a lot of theories out there and on this board on how TPMS work. I can confidently tell you there is no auto learning or programming for the Edge. A second set of TPM's need to be programmed. Let me tell you, living with the TPMS malfunction message and chime everytime you start the car becomes irratating after a few days. Don't think I could do it for 4-5 months!

Hope this helps someone out. This is a great site and others have provided some great info here.

Edited by john747

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Last month I bought a brand new 2011 Edge Limited AWD with the 18 in. chrome wheels and cut the final deal including 4 Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow winter tires.

Having winter tires out here is not a choice, living in Quebec, Canada, winter tires are mandatory from December 15th to March 15th since 2008 but TPMS are not .... From a safety point, it is a good thing to install winter tires from mid-November to Avril.

Trying to save the chrome wheels from going thru tire changes twice a year that would surely bring some minor damage to the finish everytime (looks easily damageable), I bought a full set of GLR Wheels, a nice looking winter mag wheels model Escobar-M http://www.glrwheels.../escobar-m.html on for 110 $/ea to mount my winter tires. From then, I will be able to change the wheels seasonnaly myself.

Being who I am, I've decided that I wouldn't go thru 4-5 months with the full 4 inches left display showing a warning message on everytime I (or my other half) drive the Edge so I bought 4 TPMS from the dealer AND the programmer. I know, I would not go thru the warning message for 5 months, while dealing for these this week, the TPMS warning light keeps coming on and off on my 2009 Dodge Charger and I hate it !!!

Back to the TPMS, right now and until December 14th, in Canada, Ford dealers are selling tires and tire parts (National Tire Event) at 10-15 % discount, so I bought a full TPMS kit :

4 TPMS called TPMS-12 (part no. 9L3Z-1A189-A) for $56.60 /each

1 programmer called TPMS-19 (part no. 8C2Z-1A203-A) for $32.60. Yup 32 bucks !!! - That programmer is the exact same piece sold for 45 $ by tirerack.com here : http://www.tirerack....itoring+Systems

By Friday, my mechanic will have received and installed the wheels and tires and I will program the TPMS sensors and let you know how it went.

Just an update on my situation

A little work kept me away from home and had me far from my PC ...

After installation, the tpms was not reprogrammed, I was waiting to get THE message and after a month, none came yet !!! I provoke a "low pressure" situation and the message came on ....Filled it again with normal pressure and it dissappeared - Everything is OK !!!

Will see what happen for the spring tire change ...

Edited by slypx

• 4 months later...

Spring update ...

As posted here : http://www.fordedgef...9630#entry79630

I, for one, last fall, put up my winter tires on with new rims and 4 Ford original new sensors last October and never had to deal with programming them. I was ready for it, I had bought the programmer for it.

2 weeks ago, had the summer chrome clad wheels put back on and no reprogramming at all ...

The learning process seems automatic each times.

PS : Never heard about the "Canadian theory" of the TPMS, but I've got a Canadian 2011 Edge limited and living in Canada (Montreal area)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Update for info ...

Went back on winter tires last Friday (Nov. 15th) and self-learning process did it again !!! So in resume, this is the third wheel changes I did (Original chrome clad to and from Winter mags) with succes without reprogramming, without a warning message and with a TPMS fully working ... Did the low pressure test again today and warning came on ... Fill some air in it and gone is the message ...