Remote Start Installation Guide

It should come with it.

otherwise google.. im sure someone out there (maybe not this forum) has posted before.

IMO go with a true aftermarket (dei, autopage, audiovox, compustar...) unit. you will get greater range and more flexibility if you desire. both of those units are actually made by code alarm.

Its no different than any other remote starter.

you will have wires you need to tap into in the kick panel (under door sil), ignition harness, and under hood. only this is it comes will all the necessary parts (hood pins, resistors, crimps...)

Here is one i just put on a car: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18849_AutoPage-C3-RS-625.html (its a 2way unit, add on the bypass for the key and your under 200 for longer range)

Or here is one that is a single button similar to the ford: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16743_Viper-Responder-One-P-N-4203V.html

I am hoping it is plug and play, but I have read many varying accounts of what is and is not required such as hiding a key in the dashboard, installing a hood pin, installing an antenna on the windshield, drilling a hole in the dash for an led, etc.

I am hoping that if i can see the instructions for one of the Ford versions I can learn what is really required and I don't go into the installer completely unprepared.

Keep in mind, 2011 and 2007 are completely different. the redesign was changed in 2011.

2011 are now computer controlled thats why you need to get it programmed.

the 2007 are not. you can either hide the key in the dash or you can get a bypass module. Alot of people are calling newer vehicles "data car starters" all its really doing is signaling the computer what to do. where the older cars (in the edges case 2010 or older) these are not canbus cars on the ignitions. In the case of the 2007 you will have to either hard wire into the ignition harness (if you can get lucky there may be a t-harness, doubt it though), however hardwire the rest of the connections.

Alot of the steps you are concerned about (led hole, hood pin, antenna) the only real one you need to do is the antenna. its just a matter of running the cable and sticking it to the window (its held on with double sided tape usually). The rest of them you can mount under the dash. However the hood pin wire you will need to "think" is being ativated to program if i remember correctly.

This is why i really am a firm believer of the aftermarket starters (as you can tell with all the posts i have mentioned it in). Being that your ford one is actually made by an aftermarket company (code alarm same as audiovox) just a different remote that says ford. you will still run into the same problems as you would if you have troubles with the vehicle due to the installation (dealer being a$$es about the install). they only way you wont get any hassle is if the dealer installs it.

Keep in mind there is always the magnuson-moss act. this covers the consumer from dealers being a$$es and trying not to cover a warranty item.

I just bought a new car and when the finance guy tried to say something about installing aftermarket items, i said you can just save your breath thats what the act covers....

Here is a youtube video of the installation on a 2011 f150. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3sU2KNGamw

it shows how easy the plug-nplay version is. however its only good for fords 2011 and up!! sorry

Edited by baum

DunePearlEdge...sent you a PM. I gave you the contact I had there and if you PM me your email I'll send you the file for the 2011.

I sent partscheap an email a week ago but didn't get a response. I emailed again and got a response today. Horray!

I took out the portions specific to the Edge and attached the pdf here. I'm going to pour through it and see all what is involved.

In the attached they use these acronyms: RKE/VSS/RMST

I assume:

VSS: vehicle security system

RMST: Remote start

What is RKE?

2007 Ford Edge Remote Start Installation Guide.pdf

Its not plug and play. as you can see this is WAY different than that video i posted about the 2011's.

But when you star to cuss about the short range all i can say is i told you so!!

as long as you know how to use a multimeter, reason being is there are many of the same wire colors in the same location as those are stated. Make sure you have a "airbag" friendly dmm. if you have a cheap ones (or a test light) and test an airbag wire Poof.. there it went. airbags and other sensors are not marked differently after the plug.

On a side note i just checked my tech data and if you were to go with an aftermarket unit (a 1 button unit like the second one i posted abot there will only be 6-7 wires you need to connect, and no extra relays like you need to purchase with their kit or if you do the 2 way unit there is 2 more wires for the door locks)

Edited by baum