Just updated MFT on my own for the first time

BACKGROUND: I've had 2.11 installed a few months ago at the dealer that leased me the Edge. They must have messed something up, because I was missing buttons on the left side of the services screen. I recently read that Wilson66604 was able to update on his own, so I thought I would try it out.

I decided to load the update on a usb drive and install it while waiting for a co-worker to finish up, at work. The instructions said that it might take 4 to 45 minutes and that you should keep the car running and in Park. That sounds like a huge waste of gas, and guess what.... IT IS!

So with the car running, you insert the USB drive and it recognizes it immediately and starts to do its thing. It will do several cycles of loading files, and going to a Blank screen, and then the usual "Scheduled Maintenance" screen. The process, for me, literally took all 45 minutes, if not more, so plan accordingly.

I had to get home and could not wait, so during the "Service Pack" section, I decided to leave. About 15 minutes into driving (the car had been sitting for a while running the code already), the radio came on all of a sudden. Then, eventually a screen indicating that the installation was complete came up. Doesn't seem like anything was messed up from driving. But now my TPMS says low tire pressure, but I'm pretty sure I'm OK. I'll have to reset SYNC and see if that fixes it.

Other Findings:

Now, my services screen has the proper buttons. I haven't sent directions to SYNC from my computer or phone yet, but I assume it will work again.

I also noticed a setting in my phone (HTC MyTouch 4G Slide; Android 2.3.4) under the Bluetooth Advanced Settings menu that said "messaging access". Of course, I clicked the check box and proceeded to Pair my phone with SYNC. Then, I went into the messaging section of SYNC (a setting that was previously greyed out) and played around. So far, I cannot get it to read messages (Only played briefly with it) but it DOES send messages just fine! Sync appends a little Signature to the SMS "-This message was sent from my Ford"

I'll post anything else different that I find in this post below here:

{

}

Edited by cal3thousand

BACKGROUND: I've had 2.11 installed a few months ago at the dealer that leased me the Edge. They must have messed something up, because I was missing buttons on the left side of the services screen. I recently read that Wilson66604 was able to update on his own, so I thought I would try it out.

I decided to load the update on a usb drive and install it while waiting for a co-worker to finish up, at work. The instructions said that it might take 4 to 45 minutes and that you should keep the car running and in Park. That sounds like a huge waste of gas, and guess what.... IT IS!

So with the car running, you insert the USB drive and it recognizes it immediately and starts to do its thing. It will do several cycles of loading files, and going to a Blank screen, and then the usual "Scheduled Maintenance" screen. The process, for me, literally took all 45 minutes, if not more, so plan accordingly.

I had to get home and could not wait, so during the "Service Pack" section, I decided to leave. About 15 minutes into driving (the car had been sitting for a while running the code already), the radio came on all of a sudden. Then, eventually a screen indicating that the installation was complete came up. Doesn't seem like anything was messed up from driving. But now my TPMS says low tire pressure, but I'm pretty sure I'm OK. I'll have to reset SYNC and see if that fixes it.

Other Findings:

Now, my services screen has the proper buttons. I haven't sent directions to SYNC from my computer or phone yet, but I assume it will work again.

I also noticed a setting in my phone (HTC MyTouch 4G Slide; Android 2.3.5) under the Bluetooth Advanced Settings menu that said "messaging access". Of course, I clicked the check box and proceeded to Pair my phone with SYNC. Then, I went into the messaging section of SYNC (a setting that was previously greyed out) and played around. So far, I cannot get it to read messages (Only played briefly with it) but it DOES send messages just fine! Sync appends a little Signature to the SMS "-This message was sent from my Ford"

I'll post anything else different that I find in this post below here:

{

}

The first thing that came to mind here... if you had 2.11 previously installed, SyncMyRide would not had offered you the download. Sounds like your service center did a half ass job.

So. now you get SMS read to you by the Sync system? You weren't able to do that before??

If an update to the software has enabled this, then it's not what I had assumed before. I thought this feature was up to the phone but now it sounds like Touch plays a bigger part than I thought.

Did your TPMS ever clear up?

Edited by wilsons66604
  • Like 1

The first thing that came to mind here... if you had 2.11 previously installed, SyncMyRide would not had offered you the download. Sounds like your service center did a half ass job.

So. now you get SMS read to you by the Sync system? You weren't able to do that before??

If an update to the software has enabled this, then it's not what I had assumed before. I thought this feature was up to the phone but now it sounds like Touch plays a bigger part than I thought.

Did your TPMS ever clear up?

Yeah... I thought no update since I was on 2.11. But low and behold, Syncmyride.com offered it up. O_o

And you're right, it was a half-ass job! Because the services screen was all jacked from it. rant2.gif

I'm not certain what exactly triggered the magic of SMS. Solution could have been 2 fold.

And while we're on the subject, I finally got it to READ me a text!!!! happy%20feet.gif In Android you have to enable 'FTP service' in the BT Advanced settings for reading new messages. (BTW, this is a relatively new phone (MT4G Slide) so I'll have to bust out the older phone (MT4G) and see if I can replicate.

As for the TPMS, it was actually right! The right rear tire was low about 8psi versus the others. I'll have to keep an eye on it in the event I have a bum rim/tire.