2012 Edge SE - Stock Head Unit Replacement

All of the time, money, effort and aftermarket parts needed for this..... Why didn't you just get MFT in the vehicle to begin with? :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

Uhhh... because it's MFT? I have only had mine for a month and every day I learn to hate MFT even more. An aftermarket solution couldn't help but be better when it arrives.

• Like 1

Uhhh... because it's MFT? I have only had mine for a month and every day I learn to hate MFT even more. An aftermarket solution couldn't help but be better when it arrives.

I have MFT in my 13' Fusion Titanium and not only have I installed aftermarket systems for a living at some point and time in my life, but I am a software engineer/network engineer and I can personally say, I have had 0 issues with MFT. Maybe you guys are just trying to break the damn thing.. But it works flawless for me. Maybe the ocassional wrong number was pressed due to fat fingering the display but if thats what makes people mad.. They need to stick to HAM radios!

My objection to MFT is not whether it works or not - it's the whole concept. When I am driving a vehicle I want controls and instrumentation that help me not distract me. What is wrong with REAL gauges... why do I have to give up proper instrumentation to have stupid menus next to the speedometer? What is wrong with REAL buttons... why do I have to take my eyes off the road to adjust basic things like climate control or audio controls? Oh sure, I can use voice commands for some of those things except that SYNC is actually an acronym for "Seriously You'll Never Control" and it seems designed specifically for planned disobedience.

My '11 Mustang has the electronics package with navigation and it is lightyears ahead of the Edge in usability. The SYNC system still doesn't work very well but I don't need it. I have real gauges (well semi-real... they don't move much) between a real tach and speedo and there are real buttons and knobs on the center stack for audio and climate control. I can adjust them by touch without having to look at what I'm touching.

And it's not just MFT. Who's brilliant idea was it to replace the mechanical turn signal switch that has worked for 100 years with some electronic thing? That's Ford's answer to the question nobody asked. They seem to want to impress this brain-dead texting generation with "gee whiz" electronics that add nothing to the job at hand... driving the vehicle.

</rant>

Oh BTW, I am an amateur (HAM) radio operator and one thing I can tell you is that our equipment is designed for function and never just technolgy merely for the sake of technology.

Edited by TheWizard

My objection to MFT is not whether it works or not - it's the whole concept. When I am driving a vehicle I want controls and instrumentation that help me not distract me. What is wrong with REAL gauges... why do I have to give up proper instrumentation to have stupid menus next to the speedometer? What is wrong with REAL buttons... why do I have to take my eyes off the road to adjust basic things like climate control or audio controls? Oh sure, I can use voice commands for some of those things except that SYNC is actually an acronym for "Seriously You'll Never Control" and it seems designed specifically for planned disobedience.

My '11 Mustang has the electronics package with navigation and it is lightyears ahead of the Edge in usability. The SYNC system still doesn't work very well but I don't need it. I have real gauges (well semi-real... they don't move much) between a real tach and speedo and there are real buttons and knobs on the center stack for audio and climate control. I can adjust them by touch without having to look at what I'm touching.

And it's not just MFT. Who's brilliant idea was it to replace the mechanical turn signal switch that has worked for 100 years with some electronic thing? That's Ford's answer to the question nobody asked. They seem to want to impress this brain-dead texting generation with "gee whiz" electronics that add nothing to the job at hand... driving the vehicle.

</rant>

Oh BTW, I am an amateur (HAM) radio operator and one thing I can tell you is that our equipment is designed for function and never just technolgy merely for the sake of technology.

Sales seem to be up higher in the past year or so, then they have been in YEARS. I'd say that some people just don't adapt well to Technology. Technology will always and forever be the driving force in the way the world moves. We all love 71' Chevelles with a specially ordered 454 turbo jet in it.. But those days are over, unless you buy one restored.

Obviously if people all felt the same way, they wouldn't be all over the Fords. Personally, i sit in my drive way and learn the controls and set them to the way that I want them, then I don't touch them until I am stopped again. Once I have found my control settings that are comfy for me, it's smooth sailing..

Also BTW, never even seen a HAM radio, they are somewhat before my time..

Gee, it's a real shame that I apparently don't adapt well to technology despite being the IT Director for a billion dollar company. I guess I should just quit my job because new technology is obviously beyond my comprehension. :runaway:

In my work, we never spend money on technology unless it improves the functioning of our business. I bought the Edge despite the foolish electronics because of other factors such as the size, comfort, performance, mileage, and looks. If I could have had all the other features I wanted without the MFT system I certainly would have done that.

I'm glad you can set your temperature and fan speed in your driveway so that you never have to change them while moving even if weather conditions change. And I guess you never need to use the heated seats. Certainly it's really convenient for you that you have no need for gauges on your dash. To each his own I guess.

You may want to look into HAM radio a little more because the technology is quite current and advanced including even packet data transmission (the stuff the Internet runs on)... allowing amateur radio operators to support authorities during emergencies such as Hurricane Sandy. When the next tornado or hurricane comes through Florida and your cell phone doesn't work, you may be very thankful for the services of the Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) volunteers providing long distance communications to first responders and other authorities. Don't mock something you know nothing about.

Gee, it's a real shame that I apparently don't adapt well to technology despite being the IT Director for a billion dollar company. I guess I should just quit my job because new technology is obviously beyond my comprehension. :runaway:

In my work, we never spend money on technology unless it improves the functioning of our business. I bought the Edge despite the foolish electronics because of other factors such as the size, comfort, performance, mileage, and looks. If I could have had all the other features I wanted without the MFT system I certainly would have done that.

I'm glad you can set your temperature and fan speed in your driveway so that you never have to change them while moving even if weather conditions change. And I guess you never need to use the heated seats. Certainly it's really convenient for you that you have no need for gauges on your dash. To each his own I guess.

You may want to look into HAM radio a little more because the technology is quite current and advanced including even packet data transmission (the stuff the Internet runs on)... allowing amateur radio operators to support authorities during emergencies such as Hurricane Sandy. When the next tornado or hurricane comes through Florida and your cell phone doesn't work, you may be very thankful for the services of the Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) volunteers providing long distance communications to first responders and other authorities. Don't mock something you know nothing about.

In all of this /wristing that you are doing.. I am getting two things out of this.. 1. you want turn knob dials and 2. you hate having to look at your dash to turn something on/off.. Grow a pair dude and stop fucking whining.. If you don't like the options it came with hence MFT, you could have gotten an older model that has all of the turn knob's you can imagine.

Climate control tends to work very well, thats why its automatic.. It adjusts itself and if you don't like the options it has chosen, you adjust them.. The same damn way you do it with turn knobs.. Either way, you are still looking at the dash board to turn them on/off.. It's the same with heated seats.. Bad troll is bad, give up. It makes no sense.

Congrats on your IT position.. I am a chief engineer for Level 3 Communications, I am sure you internet comes from me, whoever you are! :doh: :doh: :doh:

And in Florida, we party when it hurricanes.. We don't need no stinkin HAM cricket sounds filling our airwaves! g'day!

I'll be at my boat this weekend at "River City Brewing" company.. I'd love to hear about your Billion dollar IT comp.. i'll even buy the first round!

I'll be at my boat this weekend at "River City Brewing" company.. I'd love to hear about your Billion dollar IT comp.. i'll even buy the first round!

Sorry, I never said it was "my" company nor that it was an IT company. The company I work for owns and/or operates about 220 gas stations and convenience stores.

I would seriously consider meeting you at River City because it's a great place to spend some time except that your attitude in other posts makes me less inclined to think you might be able to carry on a polite (or even interesting) conversation - so I'll pass on the invitation, thank you. But please enjoy your visit to our fair city.

Sorry, I never said it was "my" company nor that it was an IT company. The company I work for owns and/or operates about 220 gas stations and convenience stores.

I would seriously consider meeting you at River City because it's a great place to spend some time except that your attitude in other posts makes me less inclined to think you might be able to carry on a polite (or even interesting) conversation - so I'll pass on the invitation, thank you. But please enjoy your visit to our fair city.

It was a joke.. I would only continue to troll on you whilst drinking my beer. I have lived in jacksonville, hence the reason my boat is there. I wouldn't go as far as saying FAIR but it has some advantages.

• 3 months later...

Not a fan. Looks plain. Oem has nice lines that flow with the dash. What I want to see is a plug and play harness that gives me speaker lines and a remote to run to an amp with oem radio. Make it easy to add on without taking it to an installer.

Wiring diagram anyone for a 2013?

Edited by Edged Up

• 2 months later...

Hate to raise a topic from the semi-dead, but I am looking into installing my audio system from my previous vehicle into my 2012 Edge. I have the basic radio, and I plan on keeping it that way. I would love to have a touchscreen and built-in nav... but my Note 2 does the job quite well. What I'm needing help with is 1) how do I get the dash apart enough so I can get to the back of the radio and 2) does anyone have a wiring diagram so I know which wires go to which speakers? I'm planning on doing an AudioControl LOC into my 4-channel Alpine amp and mono Alpine amp. I'm picking the AudioControl over the JL because of the separate sub outputs and the knob to be able to control the sub separately.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1) The first half of this shows you how to disassemble the dash pretty well: http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INST99-5829CH_web.pdf

2) http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/7415-edge-mid-range-touchscreen-stereo-upgrade-top-to-bottom/

Toward the bottom of the above post, he describes how to take doors off, and right below that he has all of the speaker wire colors. Should help you identify what is going where.

Edited by Geoff Pe

• 2 weeks later...

With all these mods.....wonder if anyone thinks of resale value down the road....and how these mods basically make the car un saleable.....at least at a dealership where they have to back their sales. So you spend a few thousand on mods that no one would understand what you did....but you, and kill off another few thousand of resale value. Much cheaper to just buy the loaded model to begin with.