Tires on 2008 Edge

jamers1

I know there was a lot of previous discussions on the 2007 tires. Specifically that the Continental tires on the 2007 would be replaced in 2008 with another brand to improve stopping distance.

I plan to get the 20" rims on the Limited and told my Sales guy that I thought the $895 price tag for the 20" Chrome rims over the 18" Chrome rims was kind of steep considering the '07 model Ford only charged $750 to upgrade from an 18" Aluminum rim to 18" Chrome rim. My Sales guy said the added cost was probably due to the larger tires however when checked it, I found out that 245/60 R18 and 245/50 R20 have exactly the same dimensions. So it's not like you're paying for more rubber...in actuality you get less rubber and more rim.

It would have been nice to at least bump the size to a 255/50. For $895 it better be a darn good brand. Can anyone confirm the brand yet?

I know there was a lot of previous discussions on the 2007 tires. Specifically that the Continental tires on the 2007 would be replaced in 2008 with another brand to improve stopping distance.

I plan to get the 20" rims on the Limited and told my Sales guy that I thought the $895 price tag for the 20" Chrome rims over the 18" Chrome rims was kind of steep considering the '07 model Ford only charged $750 to upgrade from an 18" Aluminum rim to 18" Chrome rim. My Sales guy said the added cost was probably due to the larger tires however when checked it, I found out that 245/60 R18 and 245/50 R20 have exactly the same dimensions. So it's not like you're paying for more rubber...in actuality you get less rubber and more rim.

It would have been nice to at least bump the size to a 255/50. For $895 it better be a darn good brand. Can anyone confirm the brand yet?

Ya, but the lower profile tires on the 20" rims cost more anyhow... go to tirerack.com and price them... Supply and demand thing.

It's hard to do an apples to apples comparison in those sizes. I did find that Bridgestone makes the Dueler H/L 400 in both sizes and the price difference is a mere $24 per tire. The Goodyear Fortera 245/60 R18 and the Goodyear Eagle RS 245/50 R20 were priced exactly the same. I'm not really seeing much here to justify the pricetag.

Unless you are in love with the chrome plated plastic of the Ford wheels, save the money and get some after market 20's, and some 265/45/R20 tires to put on them.

That way you can pick the style of wheel, and brand and type of tire you want, it will probably cost more but be truely custom.

That's just my 2 cents, but it is your money, so you will need to do what makes you happy. :happy feet:

Unless you are in love with the chrome plated plastic of the Ford wheels, save the money and get some after market 20's, and some 265/45/R20 tires to put on them.

That way you can pick the style of wheel, and brand and type of tire you want, it will probably cost more but be truely custom.

That's just my 2 cents, but it is your money, so you will need to do what makes you happy. :happy feet:

I went with 275/45/20's with Enkei Chrome wheels. Plan on between $1500.00 and $1600.00 for new tires and wheels.

Well, it could be more depending on what you get of course. That is what Hankooks and the Enkei's ran for me.

Thanks for the suggestions but I plan to lease so I can residualize the cost of the rims. I'm really only paying for about have the rims cost so the thought of dropping $1500 for a rim tire combo is more than I'm willing to spend in that area. I like flash but within a reasonable budget.