Tire Replacement AWD

dinodinomyte

The front tires on my 2011 AWD are worn more than the rear. I wanted to just replace just the fronts, but was told by a mechanic that because of the AWD, all 4 tires may need to be changed at once. He wasn't sure if this was the type of AWD that needed this. There are at least 3 different types.

This is why you should rotate your tires.

If they aren't too worn now, rotate the front to the back and the back to the front.

This is why you should rotate your tires.

If they aren't too worn now, rotate the front to the back and the back to the front.

And cross them when you move the backs to the front (right rear to left front, left rear to right front).

I just did mine this weekend because I thought I needed brake pads and/or wheel bearings. Turns out the brakes have a lot of material left all the way around (38K miles) and the noise was from a bad tire, not the wheel bearing.

• 9 months later...
I just paid the price dearly for this. My Edge has 61k miles & started to make a growling noise from the rear end, turns out it was because the front tires had a 1" diameter difference causing strain on the rear end. They had to replace the entire rear end, the dealer said it wasn't covered under warrenty because of the tire isue. It ended uo costing me $3300!

I just paid the price dearly for this. My Edge has 61k miles & started to make a growling noise from the rear end, turns out it was because the front tires had a 1" diameter difference causing strain on the rear end. They had to replace the entire rear end, the dealer said it wasn't covered under warrenty because of the tire isue. It ended uo costing me $3300!

How did they end up being 1" apart? Were 2 of the tires replaced? Who replaced them?