Review: 2007 Lincoln MKX

2007 Lincoln MKX Review

When compared feature to feature, the 2007 Lincoln MKX stacks up very well against an impressive group of similarly priced luxury crossovers and even surpasses them in many respects. Things like cooled front seats, a panoramic sunroof and a 14-speaker THX audio system tend to get your attention just like free buffalo wings during happy hour at T.G.I. Friday's.

But it doesn't take long for you to realize that the 2007 Lincoln MKX needs more going for it than a class-leading menu of treats. | READ MORE HERE |

I keep hearing that the brakes on the 2007 MKX are less than satisfactory, but my road experiences thus far tell me differently. I think they are fine.

We have about 900 miles on our MKX are are delighted with our selection. Sure, there are a few things left out, such as the passenger assist handle and back cover, but in so many other respects the car is great.

Ride comfort and handling are outstanding. So far gas mileage is as advertised.

I found the perfect pet cover for the back seats and bought a Weathertech cargo cover. Life is good.

Well, they certainly didn't care for the MKX. Not everyone wants a CUV to drive like a sports car. Not everyone wants the interior to look like the battle bridge of the starship Enterprise either. Seems to me that if you like an attractive, roomy, smooth riding luxury CUV with unmatched levels of equipment, the MKX is a pretty good choice. The only legitimate gripe is the brakes, and that is being taken care of with the tire changes being made. I drove an MKX for a weekend test drive and thought it was a pretty nice vehicle.

Well, they certainly didn't care for the MKX. Not everyone wants a CUV to drive like a sports car. Not everyone wants the interior to look like the battle bridge of the starship Enterprise either. Seems to me that if you like an attractive, roomy, smooth riding luxury CUV with unmatched levels of equipment, the MKX is a pretty good choice. The only legitimate gripe is the brakes, and that is being taken care of with the tire changes being made. I drove an MKX for a weekend test drive and thought it was a pretty nice vehicle.

We have the Michelin Latitude HP's on our MKX. These tires were rated very well on tirerack. They are partly responsible for the handling and ride comfort. I don't know if they improve braking, but as I said, the braking on our MKX is just fine.

We have the Michelin Latitude HP's on our MKX. These tires were rated very well on tirerack. They are partly responsible for the handling and ride comfort. I don't know if they improve braking, but as I said, the braking on our MKX is just fine.

You have the better tires from the factory. The earlier buit units had a different brand that were not as good in the grip department, leading to some of the poorer braking distances reported by some of the magazines.

• 2 weeks later...

During May '07, as I would walk into work, I kept admiring a Copper coloured Edge. Then I started researching them online. When I came across the MKX, I said to myself "self; THAT was a nice looking photo". I think for a few days I would try to read everything I could about the MKX. Well I came home one night and told the wife, lets go 'look' at one. I think I was about 90% ready to buy. The first dealer I stopped in at, I was given the White MKX like the picture at the top of this page to drive. I was thinking of the white/maple interior, but that MKX had the charcoal one. Well, as I drove it, I liked the dark interior, it just seemed to make me feel cosier inside it. And I thought the light coloured interior would be too difficult to keep clean.

I didn't want the rear heated seats, nor trailer tow package. So I had the dealer locate me one, equipped the way I wanted. I had done my homework, and knew another local dealer had the same vehicle on his lot. That dealer had the nerve to tell me he wanted a $500 deposit before he would get it for me. Hell, I could have paid him cash for the whole thing. I got up and told him keep your car, I'm off to another dealer, and walked out.

So, 45 Min's later I'm looking at a 'completely loaded' MKX at another lot. White/black. Everything on it. Then I run into a deal breaker and tell him to locate me one. Except this time, I say: " I don't want that license plate bracket on the FRONT bumper". He wants to balk about it, I point out to him on his row of MKX's and Edge's that this is the only one with it, and it sucks. Finally, the general manager comes to me, and wants to know If I'll take $300 because of that plate & bracket. I say, OK. He says, "You just bought a car". My head is thinking of plugs I can make to fill the holes after I remove it, so in I go to order touch up paint.

$41 K (includes the $2300 sales tax) and 1 Hour later we are driving it home.

My impressions. I LOVE IT! But what do I think about the complaints being tossed around on other sites? Hard seats, no their NOT hard, their firm and after you settle into them, the side bolsters will start to nestle you and they seem just right. You want softer seats, you get a Town Car. Brakes? Well Ford is getting away from the instant grab when you hit the break pedal, that's why it seems there is excessive travel til you slow a 2 1/4 ton truck. Best A/C I have ever experienced. Bad side to my impressions. Yes it could have used more wood on that center column instead of that painted plastic, and now I have to be careful not to scratch it. It should have had Michelin's on it and 20" chrome. But I can live with it as is.

This is a LINCOLN. I want to tool in it, and look sharp and I want the car to be noticed, and that it is. I don't want to see another one like mine wherever I drive. I did pass a black one, and sorry, but it sucked. you could hardly tell what it was , Why would that be? I'm NOT going to drive it like it was a sports car. I reached an age, where I could finally get INTO a Lincoln and I want to treat it with respect. I've had 3 sun-roof's before and this one is nice, but I'd rather have it closed and shaded almost all the time, but it's nice to open it and show others how different it is. The car/truck just needs more bell's and whistle's is all, it will get them in a few years, The '08 has more. Hell even the 09 Flex will have a backup camera. sheesh. Best audio I've heard in a car, THX!

I DO like the gauges, It's meant for me to drive and not keep my eyes on the dash. I even turn the white LED's on the gauges down now to 1/2 power. I've tinted the side windows, like above. I've put on S.S. sill plates, and WeatherTech mats thru out. Undercoat, and LED license plate bulbs. That engine is really nice too, so quick to start and it idle's beautifully. QUIET! Plenty of pep, when I want to get on the interstate. I could go on and on, addressing issue's others have, and service work I've had done, but the bottom line is, every-time I get into it, I love it, every-time I look at it, I love it. I have NEVER had a vehicle as sweet as this Lincoln. And you know what, I also thought it was a great price for it too.

And greeting's to you all, also.

PS, Did I mention how sweet it is?!