RDS problem

Anybody else having RDS problems? (RDS is the extra stuff broadcast along with the FM signal, such as song name, etc)

Mine has two faults:

- Really slow info updates. Quite often the RDS song data will take many minutes to update. Sometimes it will just be blank for 20 to 30 minutes. Sometimes the display will retain the old song data, even though several new songs have played and gone. Once I didn't even get any RDS for several days, then it just started working again. At first I thought it might be a problem at the radio station (ie: not broadcasting the data), but when we compared my wife's Nissan beside my Edge, the Nissan had almost immediate RDS updates constantly, without fail. The Edge wouldn't even display it for a while, then showed old info.

- Second problem is with the station type shown on the large display vs the small display (near the speedo). When listening to a classic rock station, the words "Classic Rock" appear on the large display, but the small display shows "Education". On another station, the RDS shows "Adult Hits" on the large display, but the small display shows "Cultural". The small display never gets it right. Dealer says he can't do anything about it (as usual).

• 1 year later...

I had the RDS genre issue resolved. The Power Control Module needs to be updated.

The dealer worked with Ford to troubleshoot the issue, they replace my APIM, ACM, instrument cluster, APIM again and re-flashed just about everything a few times before Ford figured out it was the PCM (it took them months)

• 4 months later...
arabski, on 17 Dec 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

Guys, is there anything specific to be configured to be able to turn the RDS feature on?

I click RDS "ON" button in radio options, it thinks for 10 seconds, and it goes off again...

Since you are in Bahrain, I assume your Edge is a "GCC" spec model (if it was sold through a dealer in GCC, it is), unfortunately, Ford Middle East are a bunch of idiots! the MyFord Touch vehicles in GCC have the RDS disabled for no apparent reason.

Make a complaint to Ford Middle East , or send them a direct e-mail (menacac@ford.com). Maybe more complaints will make them act. Though when I complained, somebody called me & just claimed that RDS was not available in GCC, even after I explained to him that my 2008 Taurus had it working fine!