My mpg is finally improving!

dbe

Just a little something on my mpg… every since I've reached 4000 miles I have been consistently getting at least 400 on each fill-up. When I first bought the Edge, I was getting about 300-350 miles a tank. I took a trip last weekend with my wife and kid (he's 18 months) and got 482 before I had to fill up (I filled up right before we left). My trip was about 50 miles city, 100 miles steep hills (down and up), and the rest flat highway; I also had to pass a lot of people. I noticed a couple of things too. When I was going down a steep hill, I would use my brakes and the transmission would seem to disengage. I would be going like 65 and the rpm's would be at like 1000. As soon as I stepped on the accelerator, the transmission would engage the proper gear. I also noticed that if you are going down hill and you want to maintain your speed without using the brakes, just turn off the overdrive and it will find the proper gear to maintain your current speed. I’ve also noticed that after about 4000 miles my transmission will engage 6th gear when I’m only going 40mph. I’m sure a lot probably would think that is annoying but it really improves my city mpg. One other thing, when I feel up I can never put 19 gallons in my tank; it only lets me put in about 17.5 gal. The last trip I made and got 482 was on 17.8 gallons (that’s how much it let me put in when I had to filled up after the trip). I believe that puts that trip at about 27 MPG.

GREAT news, dbe. About how fast do/did you drive? FWD or AWD?

When I was on my trip, I kept it around 65 to 70mph (I had my wife and little boy). There was times I would get up to about 90-95 when I would pass someone. Most of the time I drive about 70-75 on the freeway. I think the reason I get really good gas mileage is because I don't try to beat everyone off the line. I didn't buy the Edge because I thought it was fast (btw... it isn't), I bought it because of its looks. Everytime I get into by father's corvette (07 Z06, 7.0liter), he reminds me what real power is. Yep, if your picturing it, he bald with the chest hair sticking out of the top of his shirt. But I'll tell ya, I feel stupid every time I step on the gas in my Edge. I love my Edge, but not because of its 265hp. Oh yeah, it's an FWD. I also was reading some previous post about ARCO gas and how it sucks; well, that is the only gas I buy. My advise is just lay off the gas, there is nothing to prove (I'm not directing this to you jeffreybehr). Maybe it will be a different story when ford puts in twin turbos, likely in '09 or next year (read it in a magizine yesterday). They even said that the TT's would run off of the cheap stuff.

When I was on my trip, I kept it around 65 to 70mph (I had my wife and little boy). There was times I would get up to about 90-95 when I would pass someone. Most of the time I drive about 70-75 on the freeway. I think the reason I get really good gas mileage is because I don't try to beat everyone off the line. I didn't buy the Edge because I thought it was fast (btw... it isn't), I bought it because of its looks. Everytime I get into by father's corvette (07 Z06, 7.0liter), he reminds me what real power is. Yep, if your picturing it, he bald with the chest hair sticking out of the top of his shirt. But I'll tell ya, I feel stupid every time I step on the gas in my Edge. I love my Edge, but not because of its 265hp. Oh yeah, it's an FWD. I also was reading some previous post about ARCO gas and how it sucks; well, that is the only gas I buy. My advise is just lay off the gas, there is nothing to prove (I'm not directing this to you jeffreybehr). Maybe it will be a different story when ford puts in twin turbos, likely in '09 or next year (read it in a magizine yesterday). They even said that the TT's would run off of the cheap stuff.

dbe,

I was wondering, do you have your air conditioner running at all? Also, what kind of mileage did you get at first. The mileage your getting is loads better than what I am and I was wondering if it got better over time.

dbe: " My advise (sic) is just lay off the gas, there is nothing to prove..." Indeed. I wrote in another thread that our fuel consumption is directly proportional to our right-foot pressure on the throttle. Getting good fuel mileage is a learned skill that most of us have little of.

Your news is still encouraging. Thx.

dbe,

I was wondering, do you have your air conditioner running at all? Also, what kind of mileage did you get at first. The mileage your getting is loads better than what I am and I was wondering if it got better over time.

Yes, I have my AC on all the time; I live in Arizona. I started off by getting about 18 to 20 MPG. I don't know how much the AC affects the MPG, but I do know for a fact that it does. Another thing I noticed is that when the vehicle is left in park while idling, you can almost see the fuel gauge move. My fuel economy improved noticeably at about 4000 miles. My transmission also seemed it needed a brake in. It seems to run a lot better. It always finds the optimum gear, when not accelerating or at a slight acceleration, to maintain the lowest RPM's at the needed torque to maintain the current speed. I can go 45 MPH and maintain that speed at 1100 RPM's. I can even go up slight inclined hills and maintain speed and RPM. BTW, I just returned from my complimentary 5000 mile oil change. So, I think my Edge is officially broken in. Just be nice to your baby and it will be nice to you!

Yes, I have my AC on all the time; I live in Arizona. I started off by getting about 18 to 20 MPG. I don't know how much the AC affects the MPG, but I do know for a fact that it does. Another thing I noticed is that when the vehicle is left in park while idling, you can almost see the fuel gauge move. My fuel economy improved noticeably at about 4000 miles. My transmission also seemed it needed a brake in. It seems to run a lot better. It always finds the optimum gear, when not accelerating or at a slight acceleration, to maintain the lowest RPM's at the needed torque to maintain the current speed. I can go 45 MPH and maintain that speed at 1100 RPM's. I can even go up slight inclined hills and maintain speed and RPM. BTW, I just returned from my complimentary 5000 mile oil change. So, I think my Edge is officially broken in. Just be nice to your baby and it will be nice to you!

This is encouraging! Our Edge is making combined city/hiway about 18-20 mpg right now. We have about 500 miles on it. we went on a trip last weekend and it made 24 mpg mostly highway. we were pleased. We traded our 2002 Suburban and our 2000 Buick (our 3rd car) for it. Our Suburban made 15-16 no matter what we did and our Buick made 27 mpg highway. So if our Edge continues to improve as yours did we will be thrilled. PLUS I LOVE driving the Edge.......no more big truck to park for me! :shift:

• 3 weeks later...
This is encouraging! Our Edge is making combined city/hiway about 18-20 mpg right now. We have about 500 miles on it. we went on a trip last weekend and it made 24 mpg mostly highway. we were pleased. We traded our 2002 Suburban and our 2000 Buick (our 3rd car) for it. Our Suburban made 15-16 no matter what we did and our Buick made 27 mpg highway. So if our Edge continues to improve as yours did we will be thrilled. PLUS I LOVE driving the Edge.......no more big truck to park for me! :shift:

As of right now the Edge has 6500 Miles and is averaging 17.6-18.0 MPG city and about 26.5MPG on the hwy. A/C on and off w/ these numbers temps ranging from 70-85F. It's FWD, 100% stock.

There is also www.fueleconomy.gov and you put in pretty much same info and it tracks your mileage for you. I have 3776 miles and got 18.3mpg this tank. Thats about 70% city and 30% hwy. I dont know why, but I also have an 03 Mustang GT and when it hits the 3000 mile mark, due for an oil change, its gas mileage starts to suck. Pretty much the same thing for the Edge I have noticed. My mileage went down to 15.5 when I hit 3000. Thus I got an oil change and it went back up. I dont know how accurate it is, but that is just what I have noticed about my vehichles.

You don't think the Edge is fast off the line??? Tromp that gas pedal to the floor, and hang on to the steering wheel...it kicks ass!

Gas mileage has been a consistant 21 mpg city, 27 mpg highway since day one. I have almost 13,000 miles on it now....

You don't think the Edge is fast off the line??? Tromp that gas pedal to the floor, and hang on to the steering wheel...it kicks ass!

No, I don't. Spunk yes but not fast. Is it lighter than others in class? Never looked. AWD helps it off the line. I dunno, wifes car, but any tire spin of line? Feels good and a nice quite ride but not made to go fast as some will learn I fear. Don't forget its top heavy and needs 150 ft+ to stop from 70mph. A f350 needs 135 ft or so to compare. Be safe!

Anyone else notice how tight the steering feels or is it just me?