PTU needs replaced / convertor / 02 sensor

hill392

Well it seems my 2007 Ford edge SEL now needs the PTU replaced at a cost of $1600.00 and a catalytic convertor and 02 sensor as well ($1300.00)..Plus transmission fluid change at $189.00. All this comes after the ECM was replaced. When the ECM was replaced it was covered ( barely at 78,000 miles ) under the 80,000 mile warrenty. Not so lucky this time as the car has over 80,000. Total price comes to $3500.00 this is includes diagnosis plus oiul change..Not sure what I will do now. The srevice rep. suggested I talk to a salesman and trade the edge in. This is ridiculous. I bought the car preowned with 24,000 miles on it and currently still owe $8000.00. Car has been at dealer for 2 weeks now while I try and decide what to do. Sales department is lacking in customer service, does not seem interested in working with us on this. I think I am going to have the PTU fixed and see if I can replace the convertor and 02 myself and save some money. Any suggestions on what to do? This is the first car I have ever had this many problems with. I own a pontiac with 170,00 miles that has had no major problems and a chevy with 180,000 miles still running strong with no major problems. Seems Ford has dropped the ball with the Edge.

Well it seems my 2007 Ford edge SEL now needs the PTU replaced at a cost of $1600.00 and a catalytic convertor and 02 sensor as well ($1300.00)..Plus transmission fluid change at $189.00. All this comes after the ECM was replaced. When the ECM was replaced it was covered ( barely at 78,000 miles ) under the 80,000 mile warrenty. Not so lucky this time as the car has over 80,000. Total price comes to $3500.00 this is includes diagnosis plus oiul change..Not sure what I will do now. The srevice rep. suggested I talk to a salesman and trade the edge in. This is ridiculous. I bought the car preowned with 24,000 miles on it and currently still owe $8000.00. Car has been at dealer for 2 weeks now while I try and decide what to do. Sales department is lacking in customer service, does not seem interested in working with us on this. I think I am going to have the PTU fixed and see if I can replace the convertor and 02 myself and save some money. Any suggestions on what to do? This is the first car I have ever had this many problems with. I own a pontiac with 170,00 miles that has had no major problems and a chevy with 180,000 miles still running strong with no major problems. Seems Ford has dropped the ball with the Edge.

I know what I would do.

I would locate a late model salvage yard that has guaranteed used parts, and have them installed by somone I trust, outside of the dealership.

Immediately upon complation, the for sale sign would go on the window.

Having been through the ecm thing, I feel your frustration. In my case though, dealer told me to take a hike with 44,000 miles, so I ate the total replacement cost.

The salvage yard sounds like a good idea.. I am thinking of having the dealer fix the p.t.u.and taking care of the convertor and 02 sensor myself. Dealer tried selling my wife a used Pontiac g6..what?I mean really! Even with all the problems I am having I still like the edge..there's no way I'm down grading to a Pontiac.. They also had a pre-owned 2008 edge they would sell us for $25,000..I'm sure they would! To there credit though they would give us $1000.00 more than what we owe on the edge as it sits..