Edge Hitch Cover

Hi everyone-

My wife just bought an AWD SEL Plus in Creme Brulee, with all the toys. I didn't want the tow hitch initially, as I have an F150 and have no plans to tow with the Edge. However, after looking around, I found that the tow hitch was pretty much unavoidable in the color and options my wife wanted, at least this late in the model year.

So now we have the tow hitch, but I was a little disappointed that Ford and the dealer had not provided any kind of hitch cover. Since we won't be using it, I really don't want dirt to start getting up in there. Plus, I'd like to hide it as much as possible since my wife wasn't thrilled about the look of it to begin with.

Has anyone been able to find a plain black hitch cover that would fit the 1 1/4" Class II receiver? I thought this would be a sure thing at Advance Auto or Pep Boys, but no luck. Even JC Whitney couldn't find one for me.

I know there are some nice options for branded hitch covers out there, but I would prefer something that protected the receiver and took attention away from it, rather than drawing more to it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Brian

We also didn't need the Hitch.. I have a F-250 diesel that'll pull more than anything we'll ever own, but the other items like the engine oil cooler, larger radiator, upgraded battery and cooling fan were worth the extra. There will probably never be a trailer hooked up to our Edge.

For your hitch cover... how about this for $2.99...

2211_tn.jpg

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-TC114~2211.htm

Bryce

Edited by Bryce

Bryce-

Thanks for the link. That is the only one I came across as well. I was hoping to find something without the DrawTite logo on it, and I found a Hidden Hitch one also. I guess if that's all that's out there, I'll have to go with it. Now I just have to restrain myself from ordering a bunch of other stuff to justify the shipping.

I agree that the extras with the tow package are worth the upgrade in themselves. We had a tough time finding the Edge my wife wanted, so we didn't even get to see one with a hitch in person until I finally found one over an hour away. I initially thought the hitch popped through the painted part of the bumper, but I was relieved to find it only intruded through the plastic where the exhaust tips also come out.

In the end, my wife actually kind of laughed at me about it. She barely even noticed it.

If anyone else knows of a retail store where I can pick one of these up, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new Edge SEL Plus this weekend, and the dealer put a 'Ford Oval cover in the tow package.

I, too, didn't need the Tow package but taking it was inevitable. There are some benefits, though.

For the $350, you also get a bigger radiator, better cooling, and I think better transmission coolkng.

Should help the overall life of the vehicle.

-Larry

I bought a new Edge SEL Plus this weekend, and the dealer put a 'Ford Oval cover in the tow package.

I, too, didn't need the Tow package but taking it was inevitable. There are some benefits, though.

For the $350, you also get a bigger radiator, better cooling, and I think better transmission coolkng.

Should help the overall life of the vehicle.

-Larry

Larry-

I totally agree with the benefits of the package. When we were first looking, we saw an Explorer with the hitch through the bumper and my wife commented on how she didn't like the look of it. I had to agree with her, it was an eyesore, and it was really a pointless option to pay for since I have an F-150 I tow with. Once I realized the extras that came for $350, and the fact that it was pretty well-hidden, it made it much easier to compromise.

To be honest, the tougher compromise was probably the $750 on the chrome-clad wheels. These were another option that was difficult to avoid in a fully loaded SEL Plus.

-Brian