2008 Ford Edge Extended Warranty

nena0906

Hello:

I am in the process of purchasing a 2008 Ford Edge 3.5l V6 w/ FW drive with 58,000 miles. I am seeking advice/thoughts on purchasing an extended warranty for 4 years or 48,000 miles. Live in MA and use car a lot in snow as well!! I am looking for advise on a decent purchase price for an extended warranty that covers everything. The used dealer quoted me almost $2000 for one that covers everything which I do think it quite high. What is a reasonable price to pay for one and should I take a basic one or a similar one that cover all (power train, etc.)? Thanks so much!!

Hello:

I am in the process of purchasing a 2008 Ford Edge 3.5l V6 w/ FW drive with 58,000 miles. I am seeking advice/thoughts on purchasing an extended warranty for 4 years or 48,000 miles. Live in MA and use car a lot in snow as well!! I am looking for advise on a decent purchase price for an extended warranty that covers everything. The used dealer quoted me almost $2000 for one that covers everything which I do think it quite high. What is a reasonable price to pay for one and should I take a basic one or a similar one that cover all (power train, etc.)? Thanks so much!!

$2k may not be that high if you're talking about an additional 4 yrs/48K miles. That's the equivalent of a factory ESP of 7 yrs/100K miles which typically runs $1500-$2000. And you're beyond the 3/36K bumper to bumper warranty so it should be higher.

I can't think of any expensive known issues with a 08 FWD model other than wheel bearings and those are way less than $2K to fix. If there are others I've overlooked someone will speak up.

Hello:

Hi nena. :D Just a few added issues/questions here to go along with those already mentioned. First, unless Ford has recently changed the rules for used car purchases or the Dealer is pulling a fast one, you can not purchase a Genuine Ford ESP Plan if you are over the 3 year/36,000 mile New Car Warranty (4 years/50,000 miles for Lincoln). The Genuine Ford ESP Plan (the Ford Extended Warranty) must be purchased before the New Car Warranty expires. And at 58,000 miles, you are outside that window of opportunity.

Also, if you were purchasing a Genuine Ford ESP, the Plan time/mileage limits begin with the original in-service date of the vehicle (the day the first buyer purchased it). As an example, at 58,000 miles you would already be outside the mileage limit of a 4 year/48,000 mile Ford ESP Plan. In other words, a 4 year/48,000 mile ESP Plan only extends the New Car 3 year/36,000 mile Warranty coverage by 1 year/12,000 miles and again you are already outside that limit. So if you want 4 years/48,000 miles of extended coverage with a Ford ESP, you would be looking at a 7 year/84,000 mile plan. Can't speak for how other third-party plans word their policies, but that is how a Ford ESP is written.

That most likely leaves you with a third party/aftermarket extended Warranty. Most of us here would advise you to avoid those like the plague, as they are usually nothing but trouble. Bottom line though is we can not give much helpful pricing advice until we know who the extended Warranty contract is with. Ford ESP (to my knowledge technically can't be) or another third party Warranty company (and if that is the case, who is the contracting company)? Also, keep in mind that just because you are purchasing the Extended Warranty through a Ford Dealer does not mean it is a Genuine Ford ESP Plan (the only Ford backed Extended Warranty Plan). Many Dealers sell third party/aftermarket Warranties without the customer ever realizing what they are buying until they have a Warranty claim and get the runaround.

Post back with more information when you can and good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hello all:

Thank you SO much for your helpful advice/thoughts! It's not a Ford Warranty at all and it's a 3rd party extended warranty that the used car dealer is offering. I have found additional warranties good to have--for some reason I have bad luck when purchasing used vehicles (even only 2 years old!) and have managed to get my car repaired using the warranties I purchased! I just called a dealership in RI (Flood Ford) that in another forum was recommended for great pricing. They say their used car warranties are 100% backed by Ford and a 4 year or 48,000 miles bumper-to-bumper extended warranty would be $2255! Yeah-not paying that either! And there was a deductible I believe. I told him this was too high but he would not budge on the price.

Hello all:

Thank you SO much for your helpful advice/thoughts! It's not a Ford Warranty at all and it's a 3rd party extended warranty that the used car dealer is offering. I have found additional warranties good to have--for some reason I have bad luck when purchasing used vehicles (even only 2 years old!) and have managed to get my car repaired using the warranties I purchased! I just called a dealership in RI (Flood Ford) that in another forum was recommended for great pricing. They say their used car warranties are 100% backed by Ford and a 4 year or 48,000 miles bumper-to-bumper extended warranty would be $2255! Yeah-not paying that either! And there was a deductible I believe. I told him this was too high but he would not budge on the price.

Hi nena. :D Well, learn something new every day. :stats: Seems there is an "out-of-New Car Warranty" Genuine Ford ESP Plan available. Here is the Flood Ford link to the contract sample - Link - ESP Sample Contract If you scroll down to "Section C - Type of used Plans" and "Section D - Coverage Terms and Cost" it lists the stipulations. I actually think I have read this information in the past and just completely forgot. They say "...when it goes, it goes quick...", and I guess I am proof of that. :hysterical::banghead:

What I would recommend is also contacting Harold Ziegler Automotive Group - LINK - Harold Ziegler Automotive Group (866-943-7778). There are several previous threads where I discuss my own ESP price shopping and I found the lowest prices at Harold Ziegler AG and Flood Ford. I eventually decided to go with Harold Ziegler AG for the intangibles. I dealt with Michael Case, and it was a very professional experience, so listen/wait through all of the voice mail system prompts and see if he is still the Ford ESP contact there. At least this way you will have a few competitive quotes. And don't be afraid to mention your previous price quotes to see if you can get a better deal. Also, if you click on the HZAG link I provided and look on the left side, you can find a "Vehicle Eligibility" link that explains the eligibility requirements for the various Ford ESP plans (new/used etc.).

And yes, the the "almost $2,000" third party and $2255 Genuine Ford ESP price quotes do sound relatively expensive, considering the pricing of the ESP Plans on a new/still under New Car Warranty vehicle. Unfortunately however, I guess that is what happens with the used/out of Warranty vehicle plans since they naturally incur higher Warranty claims risk. Just my personal opinion, but if you decide to go ahead with one of the plans despite the cost, I would pay the little bit extra and go with the Genuine Ford ESP Plan. The peace of mind is worth it (my opinion, of course).

Again, learn (or relearn? :hysterical: ) something new every day. :grouphug:

Let us know how you make out and good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just purchased a 2008 Edge and am looking into warranties, too. I heard that a water pump replacement on the Edge could be a $2000 repair by itself, so paying +/- $2500 for a warranty could pay for itself. Does anybody know how long a water pump on the Edge typically lasts? The warranty I am considering would cover it until 117,000 miles.

In my previous vehicles, I've had to replace the water pump at around 100k. Is the Edge any different?