Passenger Airbag light on or off???

:sos:

My husband and I got in a discussion this morning. Is the light for the "passenger air bag off" supposed to stay on or off??

Ours goes off, but it is off if no one is in the passenger seat or someone is in it. It would seem to me that the light should stay on if no one is in the seat. If my 90 lb daughter sits in the passenger seat, the light isn't on either and I would think it would come on.........if the airbag is disabled.

I hope this question makes sense....I tried to find the info in the book.....but couldn't seem to find it. Someone else will probably find the answer right away! lol.

thanks for your help on this. I just want to be sure if I haul a child in the front seat by necessity sometime that they are working right.

This is how a salesman would explain it; when you start the car with no one in the seat, it runs the weight test, and determines their isn't enough weight to set the pass. airbag function (why pay for 2 deployments if no one was sitting there)? It lights up to notify you, it is not armed, and by armed, I mean just that, a small explosive charge is used. Since you wouldn't want to see that light glow all night long as you drive, it turns the light off for you.

I 'think' any weight above 40 lbs. sets the discharge function to 'lite', and a weight higher than ?? 90 lbs. set the deployment charge to normal.

I also think the manufacturer's stress that you strap children in the rear seats, and just adults should sit in the front, you know, like at the dinner table, there to be seen, but not heard. So into the back where there not even seen, and if that's not good enough for them, well they can take the bus then..... oh sorry, I was thinking of my own.

As explained it only comes on when there is something in the seat that isn't heavy enough for the airbag. My dog turns it on. If someone is in the seat but it's not on then the airbag is armed.

Did you try looking in the owner's manual? Tons of info in there.

As explained it only comes on when there is something in the seat that isn't heavy enough for the airbag. My dog turns it on. If someone is in the seat but it's not on then the airbag is armed.

Did you try looking in the owner's manual? Tons of info in there.

You are simply brilliant.