My flash drive quest is over!

Okay, I got tired of having the hard drive in the console. I decided to downsize. The problem is that the average flash drive sticks out too far and I'm afraid I'll hit it and damage either the drive or the car. I tried a couple of the truly tiny ones, but they got too hot. I finally found the Sandisk Cruzer Fit. 16G, under $20, doesn't overheat, and here's how it looks.

20120117_105918.jpg

Okay, I got tired of having the hard drive in the console. I decided to downsize. The problem is that the average flash drive sticks out too far and I'm afraid I'll hit it and damage either the drive or the car. I tried a couple of the truly tiny ones, but they got too hot. I finally found the Sandisk Cruzer Fit. 16G, under $20, doesn't overheat, and here's how it looks.

20120117_105918.jpg

Now that is using your brain... Very nice indeed!

I was going to do the same but didn't want to decrease the storage capacity then I read a thread about an extra port on the APIM. I plan on storing the drive inside the console but I am holding off doing this since we are having so many issues with the system. I don't want to give Ford any reason to try to blame anything else for the problems.

I was going to do the same but didn't want to decrease the storage capacity then I read a thread about an extra port on the APIM. I plan on storing the drive inside the console but I am holding off doing this since we are having so many issues with the system. I don't want to give Ford any reason to try to blame anything else for the problems.

Well, I was using this drive, and I had 80ish GB of songs on it, but a problem occurred to me. I like putting it on random, and I don't like hearing all of the crap b-sides of albums I bought for a song or two. I also thought about the APIM thing, and may do it in the future as a giant CD changer, but I think the flash drive as a daily listening tool is a winner.

If I do the glove box thing, I'll use this.

I think if you stay with a newer 2.5" you'll be fine. I had originally played around with an old laptop HDD that was a 40GB in an enclosure but it didn't always power off the bus. The others that I have been using were powered off the bus without issues and ranged in size from 160-750GB. I did have one drive that came with a dual ended USB cable so you could get power off of two ports but I never needed it. Overall all the newer drives worked fine...when MFT decides it wants to play nice.

But where the hell did you find a 1TB flash drive for $50? I have only seen the one from Swiss Army that was released at CES and the list price is 3k!

I think if you stay with a newer 2.5" you'll be fine. I had originally played around with an old laptop HDD that was a 40GB in an enclosure but it didn't always power off the bus. The others that I have been using were powered off the bus without issues and ranged in size from 160-750GB. I did have one drive that came with a dual ended USB cable so you could get power off of two ports but I never needed it. Overall all the newer drives worked fine...when MFT decides it wants to play nice.

But where the hell did you find a 1TB flash drive for $50? I have only seen the one from Swiss Army that was released at CES and the list price is 3k!

A 1000GB in a flash drive, show us a link to the drive...I am sure its an error on your part...but look here

http://nextechnews.com/2008/03/1tb-flash-thumb-drives-on-the-horizon-array-based-flash-the-key/

• 2 weeks later...

Well our MFT no longer recognizes my external drive. It used to give the warning that the device wasn't recognized everytime you started up but would eventually come around. This is no longer the case and I have confirmed the drive is fully functional when connected to a PC. I even tried the reboot app they gave me but nada. So if the rewrite doesn't fix this I will likely be getting something similar. I don't want to take teh chance of connecting this up inside the console and not being able to disconnect/reconnect to try to get it functional. This MFT is so frustrating but I'll take this failure over the loss of heat.

wlepse,

Have you tried disconnecting the posative battery cable, waiting a few seconds, and then reconnecting it? The system will then reboot, takes a few minutes, and then see if that clears up your problem. Service dept said that this is a lot more effective than pulling fuse 29.

wlepse,

Have you tried disconnecting the posative battery cable, waiting a few seconds, and then reconnecting it? The system will then reboot, takes a few minutes, and then see if that clears up your problem. Service dept said that this is a lot more effective than pulling fuse 29.

Yeah unfortunately I have tried battery cables, master resets fuse pulls and reboot apps...nothing ever seems to make this thing function correctly. The dealer recently replaced the APIM but we are still having issues and they basically told us to wait for the rewrite. What I think is strange is that up until recently the failures were always random. We never knew what we were going to see but with this USB failure it has been ever start for the last couple of weeks. Now that I am thinking about it more I am not sure if it has worked since the APIM was replaced. I know the ports work and that they still can read exFAT file systems since the reboot app works so I am at a lose to what the cause could be.