22" TSW Snetterton

Eatinitup

I was previously looking for OEM 20" Chrome Clads for my Ford Edge but have recently changed my mind seeing as they are rare to find and very expensive but not really a Chrome Rim! I have changed my mind and want opinions on the 22" Snetterton made by TSW. Below is a picture of the rim and also the spec's. I am very new to this game and would appreciate feedback as well as letting me know if these spec's will fit my vehicle. I have come acrossed the rims at a very good price for Brand New Rims!! I am not going with the Chrome, I have chosen the HyperSilver and will even possibly have them Powder Coated in Matte Black once I have them and make that decision. I appreciate all of your help and feedback!!!

22x9 TSW Snetterton

Brand: TSW Alloy Wheels

Model: Snetterton

Exterior: Painted

Manufacturer Part Number: 2290SNT405114S76

Sizing and Specifications

Rim Diameter: 22 inches

Rim Width: 9 inches

Bolt Pattern (Number of Holes): 5

Bolt Pattern (Pitch Circle Diameter): 114.3 millimeters

Offset: 40 millimeters

Item Weight: 40 Pounds

post-20792-0-58580600-1327075548_thumb.jpg

post-20792-0-40180300-1327678741_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eatinitup

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely check with the vendor on fitment...make it their responsibility. But with that said you may want to rethink 22's. They will be very heavy and will ride rougher not to mention actually slow your acceleration. Don't know about previous year Edge's but from 2011 on when they went to larger wheels it changed the rear end too.

Definitely check with the vendor on fitment...make it their responsibility. But with that said you may want to rethink 22's. They will be very heavy and will ride rougher not to mention actually slow your acceleration. Don't know about previous year Edge's but from 2011 on when they went to larger wheels it changed the rear end too.

For Sure!! I have contacted the Vendor but I am awaiting a reply. They are slow at times as usual. The Edge came stock with 20's so I didn't feel that a jump to a 22" rim would halt it that much. The Rims are only 40lbs which isn't that heavy for a 22 and with tires I didn' t feel it would be a big jump.

Yours came with 20's? If so I think you are right on the rear end being OK...I think the 2011 and on have a different rear end for 20" and up but only if it came from the factory that way. Even with that revised rear end and the 3.7 tests showed the 3.5 on 17 or 18's was faster in a sprint to 60.

Yours came with 20's? If so I think you are right on the rear end being OK...I think the 2011 and on have a different rear end for 20" and up but only if it came from the factory that way. Even with that revised rear end and the 3.7 tests showed the 3.5 on 17 or 18's was faster in a sprint to 60.

My 07 didn't specifically come with 20's but the Limited has the 20's in the 2008-2010 models. In all the searching I have done, I have yet to find that the rear end is different from the 07-2010 models including the Limited's with the 20" Chrome Clads. If this is true, then I wouldn't think that the 22 TSW would halt it that much. The 22" TSW is a fairly light rim, weighing in at 40lbs.

Well I would do a little more research to be sure but they did use different ratios as per this thread for sport/non sport: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/5282-final-drive-ratio-for-2010-limited-awd-with-20-inch-wheels/

Wlepse: You have some good information and I thank you very much for it. While I always do my research, I sometimes am not researching the proper things. I have found that the 2007 FWD Edge SEL Ratio's: Final Drive FWD: 2.77; AWD: 3.16. With mine being 2.77 would I feel a hell of a lot of a difference with 22's? It has the optional 18's on there now, I have equipped the vehicle with a K&N Intake and SCT chip. I am not worried about losing some, but I wont do it if I will lose a TON of get up. The current set up I am running right now, is pretty quick for a CUV!

I think it is a relative to what you are expecting. But check out this link: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

They ran several size wheels and compared some performance indicators. I also remember reading an article on the 2011 Ford Edge Sort where they said that even with the added power and different tranny set up it was slower than the SE in a sprint to 60.

Concerning the 2011 acceleration: Motor Trend tested a front-wheel drive SEL and an all-wheel drive Sport. They received a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds with the SEL and 7.6 seconds with the Sport. This is the comparison which is so widely cited on this site as proof that the Sport is "slow". Of course, Car and Driver was able to get a 0-60 time of 6.9 seconds using an all-wheel drive Sport, but they didn't bother testing a non-Sport variant for comparison.

Edge SEL AWD

Weight: 4,234 lbs.

Power: 285 horsepower

14.86 lbs. / horsepower

Edge Sport AWD

Weight: 4,473 lbs.

Power: 305 horsepower

14.67 lbs. / horsepower

The Sport has a better power to weight ratio than a lesser-equipped 3.5 liter Edge model.

Edge SE FWD

Weight: 4,056 lbs.

Power: 285 horsepower

14.23 lbs. / horsepower

Edge Sport FWD

Weight: 4,291 lbs.

Power: 305 horsepower

14.06 lbs. / horsepower

Front-wheel drive models have a better power to weight ratio, which isn't surprising. Again, the Sport has a better power to weight ratio than a lesser-equipped 3.5 liter Edge model.

Looking at these figures, we can see the FWD 3.5 liter model, despite a worse power to weight ratio than a FWD 3.7 liter model, still has a better power to weight ratio than an AWD 3.7 liter model. This explains the discrepancy in the measured numbers.

For sure the power to weight ratio is important in acceleration but the wheel and tyre physics plays a big part, unsprung mass (wheel and tyre weight), coefficient of friction and slip angle (tyre grip) effected by the actual tyre profile and in this case, it is the profile which I believe makes the most difference as this has a big influence on the grip.

The lower the profile of a tyre, can to a point improve handling in a corner (as long as you don't go crazy low) but for improving traction and transferring the power from the tyre to the road, the lower the profile the worst it gets.

Its to do with the slip angle or contact patch and a the lower the profile you go will reduce the contact patch which can be compensated a little by going wider, its about getting the right balance.

Depends on whether you want to only go in straight lines (drag race) or want to go around a track with high corner speeds.

For sure the power to weight ratio is important in acceleration but the wheel and tyre physics plays a big part, unsprung mass (wheel and tyre weight), coefficient of friction and slip angle (tyre grip) effected by the actual tyre profile and in this case, it is the profile which I believe makes the most difference as this has a big influence on the grip.

The lower the profile of a tyre, can to a point improve handling in a corner (as long as you don't go crazy low) but for improving traction and transferring the power from the tyre to the road, the lower the profile the worst it gets.

Its to do with the slip angle or contact patch and a the lower the profile you go will reduce the contact patch which can be compensated a little by going wider, its about getting the right balance.

Depends on whether you want to only go in straight lines (drag race) or want to go around a track with high corner speeds.

The 22" wheels have a 265 mm width, 18" wheels combinations use a 245 mm width, and the 17" wheels have a 235 m width. The ratio of the wheel's rim width to the tire's width also plays a factor in the contact patch shape. I'd expect the contact patch to be greatest using the 22" wheel and tire package. As I've mentioned in a previous thread wheel and tire package selection is based on what criteria is most important to the vehicle's intent. I believe with a tall and heavy vehicle such as the Edge, the best improvements that can be made are handling improvements. The stock vehicle will never be an ET machine due to its so-so power to weight ratio.

The 22" wheels have a 265 mm width, 18" wheels combinations use a 245 mm width, and the 17" wheels have a 235 m width. The ratio of the wheel's rim width to the tire's width also plays a factor in the contact patch shape. I'd expect the contact patch to be greatest using the 22" wheel and tire package. As I've mentioned in a previous thread wheel and tire package selection is based on what criteria is most important to the vehicle's intent. I believe with a tall and heavy vehicle such as the Edge, the best improvements that can be made are handling improvements. The stock vehicle will never be an ET machine due to its so-so power to weight ratio.

The tyre profile is the side wall and it is the percentage of the tyre width. But to push the vehicle forward, the tire needs to flex in order to push and the higher the tire wall the more it can flex and push. A wheel with a rubber band around the outside would not transfer the power from the wheel to the road very efficiently. This is why tyre pressure is also important, not enough pressure is bad as it will increase the rolling resistance and this resistance will give poor traction efficiency. And too high pressure will reduce the rolling resistance but the hardness of the tire will reduce its ability to flex and reduce traction.

This information is all very good and fun to read. We have to remember though, My EDGE in question is not a 2011. The EDGE I currently own is a 2007. The specs on the Rims and Tires I have chosen are below. I have found one member who is driving a FWD 2007 EDGE with the same Tire and Rim package I have chosen and his 0-60 times have yet to be affected since he added the Intake and Chip to his vehicle. I already have the K&N Intake and SCT chip so I should be good. As far as the ride, he has lowered his 3" front and rear and said that even before he lowered the vehicle, the ride was very smooth with the set up of tire that he used. After the lowering, he still has the same opinions.

Tire:

PARADA SPEC-X 265/40 R22 106V

Wheel:

22x9 TSW Snetterton

Brand: TSW Alloy Wheels

Model: Snetterton

Exterior: Painted

Manufacturer Part Number: 2290SNT405114S76

Sizing and Specifications

Rim Diameter: 22 inches

Rim Width: 9 inches

Bolt Pattern (Number of Holes): 5

Bolt Pattern (Pitch Circle Diameter): 114.3 millimeters

Offset: 40 millimeters

Item Weight: 40 Pounds

• 1 month later...

Took me a while to make my mind up on what I wanted but finally purchased the RIMS and TIRES. Figured I would post a picture of it to let everyone know how it went and looks.

Tire:

265/40R/22 Yokohama Parada Spec-X

Rim:

22x9 TSW Snetterton Hypersilver [5 x 114.3] [40mm backspacing]

As far as power, I really don't feel I lost much if any at all. The Cold Air Intake and SCT Tuner helped tons in this field!

post-20792-0-96074700-1331648191_thumb.jpg

I just bought some American Racing Hot Rod Nova Chrome 20" wheels to replace the tiny 17" ones that my SE came with. I also bought the 255/45/20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X, and couldn't be happier. Didn't give up much at all, if any, in ride comfort. It also handles much, much better with the lower V-rated profile tires. Love Yokos's; been using them for years.

I just bought some American Racing Hot Rod Nova Chrome 20" wheels to replace the tiny 17" ones that my SE came with. I also bought the 255/45/20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X, and couldn't be happier. Didn't give up much at all, if any, in ride comfort. It also handles much, much better with the lower V-rated profile tires. Love Yokos's; been using them for years.

I totally agree with you 100% on the Yoko's. My 18 inch tires were bald as hell so they were probably the reason why they were so loud but the 22 Yoko's are the quietest tires I have ever had. I don't hear anything out of them.

To be honest, I always always wanted a set of Black Rims.. I also happen to know a family friend who owns Central Florida Powder Coating here in Orlando and could get them done for next to nothing but... My wife said DONT GO BLACK and Honestly now that they are on, I wonder if it would look better in black or just keeping them Hypersilver...?

Just personal prefrence. ALL black wheels makes me think of taxi cabs, no definition. A pain to keep clean, but great if you have a lot of brake dust. :lol:

You need a polished lip to seperate the wheel, and the tire.

I have a set of 2010 Sport take offs on my 'Splorer' now, but also have 2012 Sports that I will install as soon as my tires come.

Explorer2012.jpg

Xgotsnewshoesyo.jpg

I like em! I think they'd look great in Black, why the warning JETZ?