Replacement McGard lug nuts

The Outrage

Update: Per McGard, the correct lug nuts for use on a 2011 or 2012 Ford Edge Sport, in chrome black, are model number 64030.

I purchased some McGard lug nuts, model 64029. For those who have installed aftermarket lug nuts; will these work properly? Are the lugs' overall length sufficient to adequately secure the wheel?

The specifications follow:

Type: Cone Seat Bulge

Thread Size: 1/2" - 20

Overall Length: 1.45"

Edited by The Outrage

I purchased some McGard lug nuts, model 64029. For those who have installed aftermarket lug nuts; will these work properly? Are the lugs' overall length sufficient to adequately secure the wheel?

The specifications follow:

Type: Cone Seat Bulge

Thread Size: 1/2" - 20

Overall Length: 1.45"

And....Do they have the correct taper?

Edited by RJG

• 4 weeks later...

Ditch McGard. I've had these on since I bought it in June and have had no problems, they look great, and they're all locks.

http://www.amazon.co...29769166&sr=8-3

DSC_5488.jpg

I've read on multiple forums that the black chrome Gorilla lug nuts have issues with rust. The McGard lugs have a lifetime rust warranty, and the Gorilla lugs do not (only one year), which would indicate that rust is likely a valid concern. Also, I believe McGard lug nuts are manufactured in the United States. The Gorilla lug nuts have no country of origin listed, but I've read they are produced in Taiwan.

McGard claims different lug nuts are required for the 2011 and up model years on the Edge (the thread depth required is greater). Gorilla lists the same lug nuts for all years of the Edge, from 2007 on, but that may only mean that their application guide has not been updated. McGard's website application listing is also out of date. McGard lug nuts are included from the factory with the Edge Sport, so my assumption is that they are aware of the requirements of the Edge.

I had considered the Gorilla lug nuts, but the reports of rusting have kept me away.

• 1 month later...