Looking for a 2011 Edge-questions

CaptKirk

Your last statement about the audio source is spot on.

I'm not so sure about the hyper statements though. My personal experience (16 months. 20k + miles) it doesn't matter how long I give the system to boot up. MFT decides to randomly pick features to fail. Ex. My iPod has been the car since day one. No new music added but MFT decides to render it unusable cuz it's indexing. Voice response...I hit the button and she answers me 5 minutes later.

I'm sure you will realize these features as the months go on.

I have had the same indexing problems you speak of. Just out of curiosity what iPod are you using? I am using the 2nd gen iPod Nano. My indexing only lasts at longest 2 mins. I have cd's and sirius to also listen to so doesn't really bother me that much. As far as the voice response time that sucks. Longest I have had to wait is a few seconds, however it has made the chime then went back to playing music. I have noticed on mine it only does it when I first start the car up. If I do it after I have been driving for a few mins there is very little lag in voice.

Really there is no difference. Wether you have problems 5% of the time or 80% of the time. Anything over 0% is unacceptable.

I think Ford's CEO Alan Mulally would understand this. Hell, he designed the 777 cockpit. Do you think he would have accepted 2 lockups in 2 months in his aircraft?

This malfunctioning MFT should not be taken lightly. Aircraft or autos...people's lives are at stake here.

I hope to hell that I don't kill someone because I'm preoccupied with my F'd up MFT.

The tag line for Ford Sync is Hands on the wheel and Eyes on the road

With MFT, my hands are off the wheel & my eyes are off the road.

This is a major FORD FAIL and I don't understand why some people still try to sweep it under the carpet.

Sorry there is a huge difference between 5% of the time and 80% of the time........ There are no lives at stake..... What is really that important with the MFT that you couldn't pull over and figure out what you need to... Unless there is auto pilot installed and no one told me I really don't think any ones life is at stake. It even tells you do not touch the screen unless safe to do so...

comparing a million dollar aircraft and a $30,000-$40,000 car is a bit far fetched.... The aircraft is in the sky and a car is on the ground.. A car malfunctions unless it is the brakes, headlights at night or the steering you are still good to go...

I don't believe anyone is taking the problems with MFT lightly... Many have just had less problems than others..... I personally knew this car pretty much had a computer in it. I never expected it to work 100% of the time. My garmin Nuvi doesn't work 100% of the time. This one just bothers people so much because of the cost of the car.....

A major fail would be if it didn't work 80% of the time for everyone.... The other thought is if it was a major fail then no one would be buying one of their vehicles with MFT.....

• Like 2

I chuckled when I saw

"My daughter's MFT in her 2012 Focus works flawlessly except for 2 lockups requiring a fuse pull right after she got it 2 months ago. And she's a "real" person. "

"Except for 2 lockups in 2 months"???? "Requiring a fuse pull"? There should be none. My wife has an 11 Equinox with voice control and touch screen and has not had one lockup. I have an 11 Edge and have regular problems, and it is not because I do not wait long enough after car start or I do no know how to use the system. I also refuse to consider pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery as a solution.

I am patient and I will just wait and see. I appreciate Ford doing the Beta testing, but if it does not resolve problems for basically all owners, I think they are in for some big problems, operationally and PR.

I did some searching around and There seems to be a common issue with the 11 equinox having engine issues with stalling and leaving people stranded, also steering issues and HVAC controls shorting out and transmission issues... your wife has been lucky.... I will take a MFT that frustrates me slightly...... At least I know I will make it home.... Ford is trying to fix the issues with MFT many Equinox owners have been told sucks to be you by their dealers....

Sorry there is a huge difference between 5% of the time and 80% of the time........ There are no lives at stake..... .....

I beg to differ. Lives ARE at stake. Lives are lost every day in auto accidents.

The malfunctioning MFT can cause people to take their eyes off the road and hands off the wheel. This is dangerous and could cause an accident.

I remind you that Ford uses the tag line but their own MFT system goes against the philosophy of "hands on the wheel & eyes on the road"

Comparing the price of an airplane to a car...should a more expensive vehicle be more safe than a less expensive vehicle?

A major fail would be if it didn't work 80% of the time for everyone.... The other thought is if it was a major fail then no one would be buying one of their vehicles with MFT.....

Ford has done a very good job of keeping the real MFT issues quiet. If the general public knew about the issues before purchasing, then it would be a different story.

I've seen many posts on this and other forums where a new buyer drives off the lot only to find that the system defective.

I'm not sure where you come up with 80% requirement for a major FAIL. I still call it a major FAIL.

Edited by wilsons66604

I did some searching around and There seems to be a common issue with the 11 equinox having engine issues with stalling and leaving people stranded, also steering issues and HVAC controls shorting out and transmission issues... your wife has been lucky.... I will take a MFT that frustrates me slightly...... At least I know I will make it home.... Ford is trying to fix the issues with MFT many Equinox owners have been told sucks to be you by their dealers....

You can find issue with every car. That doesn't help MY issues wit MFT

Heck. I had my dealership tell me I was out of luck too.

Seriously? Show me one post where I or anyone else has tried to sweep this under the rug or say that there weren't actual, serious problems.

There is a huge difference between one problem every 30 days and having major problems every day.

If you can't even acknowledge that then you're not being rational.

I think you need to get out of this walled garden and see how the rest of the public feels about MFT.

Try Face Book for example. On that forum, people are free to express their opinions without being chastise for what they post.

Why all the hostility and supposition against those who report no big issues with MFT, and...heaven-forbid..even go so far as to say they like the system?! Now I can certainly understand a certain frustration level by some who have genuinely serious problems with MFT, but some seem to have taken it to the level that they almost seem to hate those who don't have those same problems...that's just crazy. To say someone must work for Ford, to paraphrase, just because they post on here that their MFT works is, well, just as silly as me saying that someone who bitches and complains here all the time must work for GM LOL. See....just silly!

I have no reason to doubt anyone who's said their MFT is fubar'd, nor have I ever questioned their reasons for saying so publicly. But a little common courtesy and respect though works both ways. And I still stand by my own experiences with MFT in saying it's worked flawlessly and is a big plus in ownership of my own particular car. It's a daily driver and has been since picking it up last October, has been on a couple extended road trips, and MFT, other than nav, is used extensively every time I'm behind the wheel. Just brain farting here, but maybe my own use of voice command almost exclusively (except for those seat heaters!) and staying away from buttons "helps"? Also, and again just pure speculation, since Canadian cars don't have all the MFT functions (no web browser, or all the sirius functions), the system itself is not as "challenged"?

Happy motoring! :)

• Like 1