Interference or Non-Interference Engine?

Eddie P

Our 2008 Edge stopped running today. It's at the shop now, I'm just doing a little thinking and was wondering if this was an interference or non-interference engine? Sort of a worst case scenario type of thinking...

BTW, my apology if this has been asked or covered before. I looked but couldn't find the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie

Edited by Eddie P

Our 2008 Edge stopped running today. It's at the shop now, I'm just doing a little thinking and was wondering if this was an interference or non-interference engine? Sort of a worst case scenario type of thinking...

BTW, my apology if this has been asked or covered before. I looked but couldn't find the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie

It doesn't use a timing belt, so it makes no difference-- the Edge uses a timing chain.

Edited by flyerjmr33

Even timing chains can break so it does make a difference - although I doubt that's the problem in this case. Could be a crankshaft position sensor.

I spent 35 years in the automotive business and never once saw a BROKEN timing chain--- I've seen many that have stretched and skipped a couple of teeth where the engine would not run--- but NEVER a broken one---

I spent 35 years in the automotive business and never once saw a BROKEN timing chain--- I've seen many that have stretched and skipped a couple of teeth where the engine would not run--- but NEVER a broken one---

I had a 75 cutlass that wouldn't start and I was told the timing chain broke. Maybe it only slipped a little. But I assume it is possible if rare.

I had a 75 cutlass that wouldn't start and I was told the timing chain broke. Maybe it only slipped a little. But I assume it is possible if rare.

Did they show you a broken chain???

More than likely, what broke was that nylon drive gear on the camshaft--- But, I'll bet it happened when you shut it down and tried to start it again.