Rust on 2010 Edge LTD

cbambenek

I have a 2010 Edge Limited and have noticed paint bubbling and surface rust underneath the front lip of the hood on the drivers side. Has anyone else have issues with this? I have 63K on it and it is very clean other than this spot. The color is Cinnamon of it makes any difference. Has Ford reported any issues with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris...

Hey Chris,

Don't we have a warranty for rust - something like 6 years or so. Wife is out with my MKX, otherwise I would check the manual. YES, I do let her drive it............on occasion !

Have friends out in Northfield, Akron, & Burton......................you near them?

Joe

Edited by JOEHIO

Hey Chris,

Don't we have a warranty for rust - something like 6 years or so. Wife is out with my MKX, otherwise I would check the manual. YES, I do let her drive it............on occasion !

Have friends out in Northfield, Akron, & Burton......................you near them?

Joe

The warranty is only for rust-through, not surface rust. Although it won't hurt to ask.

Hey Chris,

Joe

Thanks Joe,

Yes we do, but the dealer said it's three years or 36k. which I think stinks, the body should not any rust in three years regardless of the miles. It's going to cost $400 to repair. Oh well... By the way, I am south of Akron near Canton.

Chris...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, My wife has an '09 Edge Ltd and she found these same spots on her liftgate and other areas. The service manager and the dealer himself looked at it and said that it was not rust and that it came from parking under something!

Well my wife doesn't park under anything except trees and the garage roof! But, her brother is an engineer for Ford and here is the story...

Back in 2001 some higher up yuckity yuck thought that this particular brake pad was the best pad ever and ordered that this pad be used on all vehicles when it was possible. Well, the brake dust is the cause of these rusty looking spots. Why is it not happening on all vehicles?...when it was possible and the fact that this guy has since been canned.

The dealers all know about it but no one wants to be the guy that starts a brake pad replacement under warranty avalanch. Since it is not safety related it will not shoiw as a recall. I am not sure if a tech bulletin exists, probably not.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Look like , the problem with the paint of my ford edge just start !!!!!, this ford edge sport 2011 bough brand new 10 months ago , now with only 3000 miles ..... the paint is full of brake dust stuck on it and look like spot of dust everyehere, that not the bad thing i will have to use a clay bar to remove it and pray to dont scratch to much the paint........... but now i just notice 5 spot of rust growing under the paint on the left side where the wheel is ....... that unacceptable for a new car !!!!!!!!!!! plus my ford edge consume 12mpg ( 20l/100km) on the city since i owned it , what wrong with it ............ anyone have this kind of problem ???? or im the only one got a crap ????