Burning smell and black-colored oil leak...

CFDBattChief

We own a 2007 Edge SEL Plus AWD, and recently we have noticed a burning smell coming from somewhere in the engine compartment. We notice it after a long drive, 20 miles or so. After raising the hood, nothing unusual found. The PTU has been replaced by dealership quite some time ago, and the drips on the concrete are not reddish in color, but a very dark, black color. Based on where my wife parks, it must be coming from the back half of the engine... Somewhere between the center of the engine and the firewall. Based on the color of the drippings, it cannot be engine oil, and cannot be tranny fluid. Any ideas anyone? The car has been serviced regularly, and has approximately 135K miles on it.

CFDBattChief

when motor oil is used it turns dark almost black in color, so from the sounds of it, it could very well be this. Did you inspect around the oil drain plug?

there are only 3 fluids that it can be, oil, tranny, or power steering. most likely its oil and most likely coming from the drain plug. Ford uses an interference fit drain plug and is only good for so many uses. especially if you have a joe blow teenager changing your oil and he force fits the plug back on there. more than likely you're copper washer on the drain plug is worn out and the plug is ran all the way agains the pan allowing seepage

If the leak was engine oil, I would suppose that it should match the color and texture of the oil in the engine, and it does not. It is very black in color, and thicker than engine oil. I service the car regularly, and have not found the drain plug to be leaking, either.

If it is gear oil leaking from the PTU, what is the normal color of it? When ours leaked a few years ago and was replaced, what was on the floor resembled transmission fluid.

I appreciate the help from c_bova, FordGuru, and Pete K.

CFDBattChief

If the drips of what I am finding on the floor were engine oil, I would think that they would be the same color and viscosity of the engine oil that is in the engine. The drips are thicker than engine oil and very black in color. Also, I am the one who services the car, and I change the oil in it regularly. I have not noticed any drips coming from drain plug, either.

When the PTU was replaced a few years ago, we had a fluid on the floor that resembled transmission fluid. Would "gear oil" for the PTU look like what I am finding or more like transmission fluid?

My thanks to c_bova, FordGuru, and Pete K for your help.

CFDBattChief

Gear oil looks like motor oil.

Lighter color when new, and darkens to black as it ages, and absorbs dirt. One tool that can narrow it down in a hurry is a $50 UV dye kit. Dump in a little bit of the dye, drive for a day or 2, put on the magic glasses and turn on the light. It will glow green, all the way back to the exact leak point. Once you onw one, you will wonder why you didnt buy it years earlier.