Automatic Lights not working with HID Kit

HI Guys,

I just got my HID kit installed yesterday in my '11 Edge Sport, but I've noticed a couple small issues I'm curious if others have experienced.

the kit is a 35w 9006 bulb HID kit with 4300k bulbs. It was completely plug and play, no additional wiring and really had no issues at all setting the bulbs into place like some others have mentioned. But I instantly noticed a couple issues :

1. If the lights are set to auto, even when dark enough it doesn't seem to turn on the HID's. If I turn the switch to ON, they still won't come on. I actually have to turn the switch all the way oner to OFF and then back to on again for them to initialize and come on. Has anyone else ran into this, is it an issue with 35w kits maybe? (should have gone with a 55w?)

2. My one light has a really odd beam pattern, the driver side seems to be pushing more light off towards the passenger side road. I'll play around with that today though and see if i can't get that worked out.

Being in canada, the stock halogens are always on for "day time running lights". with the HID kit though, the lights aren't on unless you turn the switch to ON. A little concerning but that's a side note. If anyone has any input, please add comments.

So apparently after working on them a little more they aren't quite as seamless as I first thought. I understand the shaving now others have mentioned, shave down one of the plastic clips. So I got that done as well as drilled holes in the back caps so I could get those placed back on as well.

I get it all back together nicely to find out they won't come on at all now. I reseated all the connections and still no go. I plugged back in one of the stock halogens and they light up, so it's not a fuse, something specific to the HID's. If it was a bulb, ballast or something else, then I'd think one might not light up, but both don't turn on now. The chances of both shorting or getting damaged is very slim.

As a long shot, I also unplugged the battery for a couple minutes but that didn't help either.

Help, any suggestions? I talked to the guy I got the lights from and he thought I may need a relay. I haven't heard anyone else here mention one and if a relay was required, I'd think they wouldn't have worked from the start.

Update : I got my lights working again. Turning the plug around on the ballast plug got them going again. I tested with a multimeter to realize that the plugs (even though on correctly for the clips) were on backwards. Turning the plug around has them all working again. What I don't understand is how they were working yesterday. I'll have to wait till nightfall to test the auto lights setting.

Were you ever able to get the lights to work with the auto-on/off setting? Which HID kit did you buy? I just got my DDM Tuning 55W kit in the mail today and will be keeping your comments in mind when I install it. As I have done with all of my other mods on my Edge, I'll be videoing the install and posting a new thread sharing it for other's use.

I'll keep you posted, I didn't get to take it out tonight. I'm trapped in my own garage lol

I got a chance tonight to test the lights a little more. With the switch to the off position and starting the edge, then turning on the lights everything turns on great now. I turned the switch over to auto and the lights remained on,

So after I drove a bit and turned off the vehicle, I left the switch in auto. The lights remained on for the timed period as usual. At that point I was optimistic. When I came back to the vehicle howver and started it up, with the switch still in auto, I seen the lights flash on for a second and then went out. Turning the switch off and back on again, brought the lights on but still having an issue with the auto setting.

Sweet, they look great!

I've had some more time to play around with this, and my problem runs deeper than just the auto switch. Now this is taking in some assumptions but this is how my lights are acting. On my way to work yesterday, lights worked fine, acted the way they should. On my way home from work however is a different story. The HIDs wouldn't turn on at all even if the switch was on the ON position. Frustrated that I still have issues, I went inside to contemplate. After a few minutes I came out to test again to see that the lights were then working fine in my garage with the door closed and the lights out??? Another observation I had made, at night the instrument cluster brightness settings have a different gauge on the LCD (more bars for brightness) and during the day there are less. It is almost like there is a sensor and if the outside light is a certain brightness it still only supplies DRL power to the headlights, which isn't enough to light them up.

This morning they worked great again but it's still dark for my drive to work.

Kc300c, did you have day time running lights on your edge? With your kit do they come on during the day I'd you turn them on?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guyz, i have a 2011 edge and i just did the conversion from halogen to xenon. Just to let you, a lot of people are complaining about flickering issue and lamp out error on the dash. I just intalled my kit and i have none of this issue. I will go ahead tonight and take pictures of my hid lights on my edge. I will post them shortly. I did the installation myselft. It was pretty easy and i can help anyone that need help to install they hid kit.

saynt, how would you rate the light output from the 35w hid kit in comparison to the stock lights?

Hi Bova,

they're definitely an improvement. Well worth the upgrade over the stock bulbs. I really liked the colour temp 4300 i went with on the 35w kit, although like the threat stated, my automatic switch doesn't turn the lights on when it's dark out. I've since purchased the 55w kit from DDM like kc300c and just finished getting them installed and adjusted correctly last night. I went with a 5000k temp which is nice and bright, but if i was to buy bulbs again, i'd probably lean towards the mid 4000's.

the 35w kit wasn't over powering, but offered nice bright light, they still over powered street lights and didn't have any problems with on coming traffic flashing. the 35w kit is excellent... the 55w is just crazy bright.

was your 35w kit DDM?

I'm torn between 35w 4500k for $55 shipped or 55w 5000k with wire harness for $81 shipped.

No, my 35w kit wasn't DDM. I purchased it from a guy in town unknowing how easy they were to install (plug & play). I'm not sure what the make is but it's a descent kit. If i knew at the time how easy they were to install i would have just went with DDM in the first place and save myself a bunch of cash. chalk it up to a learning experience.

I have the 5000k 55w kit installed currently and they are definitely brighter. Are you installing more for practicality or for the look?. If you do a lot of night time driving outside of city centres, i'd suggest going with the 55w kit. If you mainly drive in urban environments, then i'd say go with the 35w.

• 2 weeks later...