2012 Ford Edge Limited AWD

I think I got a fairly good deal yesterday. I wasn't planning on buying new (was looking for a 2011 with around 15 - 20k miles on it), but ended up springing for a new car.

We got: 2012 Edge Limited AWD, with the Driver Entrance package, the 20" rims, and the equipment group 301A (HID lights, sunroof, navigation, and a toss in of all weather mats. The MSRP on the ford site for this config is 41580. The car was a demo and had exactly 6000 miles on the odometer.

Took it for $36250, plus TTL

They also gave me 3000 for my trade - which was way more than it was worth - a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer with 120k miles that was in an accident and had hail damage all over. They started at 1500 for the trade and worked up. Private sale I think I could have gotten about 3800 for it ..... almost not worth the tax difference and the warranty I would owe a new buyer in Massachusetts.

I ended up springing for the added warranty too - I really threw it around - but we are planning on keeping the car for at least 9 - 10 years. We had the lancer since it was new. The warranty was $2300 for 10 year / 120,000 miles, with $100 deductible after the factory warranty. I really don't know if that will be worth it in the end but it added like $30 a month to the payment plans and with all the electronics, sunroof, etc., I figured it has a reasonable chance of paying for itself.

Thoughts? Did we make out OK? I was feeling pretty damn anxious about buying a new car ... originally I wanted to spend only about 31k max, this is about 5k more than that but it's brand new, so I should be able to get an extra 2 years out of it vs. a car with 25,000 miles. We are currently driving around 10 - 12k per year.

Edited by Parafly

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest question would be about the warranty. It doesn't sound like you got a Ford Factory backed warranty, but instead got an aftermarket one.

I would check some of the online prices with different Ford dealers who sell the factory warranty at a discount if your dealer didn't offer the ESP one, or if he didn't want to deal on it.

Too many horror stories about aftermarket coverage not covering items as well as a Ford warranty, or who will or will not accept aftermarket warranties for payment of repairs. With a Ford warranty, any dealer in the US (and probable Canada) would honor it.

Just something to think about since you mentioned it and the price you paid for it.

YEAH, check out the warranty. If it's not a ford Premium Care, see what you can do to change it. My wife'ws sister had an extended plan on her Five Hundred, but it was not a Ford warranty, it was an after market one, and when she had repairs to be done, 2 times the parts were not covered. One time it was for $900, and the next time it was $1,300 Had it been a Ford Premium care, the parts would have been covered, The warranty she got cost $1,100, plus the money she had to pay for the repairs, it was like throwing $3,300 out the door.