2008 Escape Loaner Car - And You'll Never Guess.....

Dropped my Edge off at the dealer this morning so they can address a few minor problems. Rattles, squeaks, missing things etc.

They gave me a 2008 Excape XLS as a loaner.

First thing I noticed when I got in....an absolutely terrible glare/reflection from the dash.

No BS. I didn't even have to try and look for it. The glare is so clear I can see the top of the steering column and the "emergency flasher" control.

I can even read the reflection from the "Passenger Airbag Off" display.

Now...yes...I have an Edge and I'm somewhat partial but..I really did look at this with a non-prejudice eye.

The reflection on the Edge (that I have to "look" for) is nothing...NOTHING compared to the Escape.

I have a 2008 Escape and have absolutely no glare issues. I have been in the edge and the glare is without a doubt much worse.

Well, who knows then. Maybe it is a combination of interior color, angle of the sun, longitude/latitude and amount of humidity in the air, combined with actual measured eyesight of the observer.

:wacko:

I have an Edge and have no problem with the glare. It is very evident with me in this Escape.

You have an Escape and have no problem with the glare. It is very evident with you in the Edge.

Go figure.

• 3 months later...

Well, who knows then. Maybe it is a combination of interior color, angle of the sun, longitude/latitude and amount of humidity in the air, combined with actual measured eyesight of the observer.

:wacko:

I have an Edge and have no problem with the glare. It is very evident with me in this Escape.

You have an Escape and have no problem with the glare. It is very evident with you in the Edge.

Go figure.

Hey Good Hands. How's TN? I have had an Escape, which I just traded for my new Edge. Unless my wife gets that NXT Goop out and smears it all over the dash I don't have a glare problem with my Edge either. However that Escape I just traded was a 2006 and it had awful glare in the windshield. I looked like a real Bozo driving with a Black Towel on the dash but otherwise it was very distracting. My Edge interior is Black and the Escape was Gray. Maybe the Black absorbs the UV better. I had tire issues with my Escape also. All four positions wore on the inside bead.

SRE

Hey Good Hands. How's TN? I have had an Escape, which I just traded for my new Edge. Unless my wife gets that NXT Goop out and smears it all over the dash I don't have a glare problem with my Edge either. However that Escape I just traded was a 2006 and it had awful glare in the windshield. I looked like a real Bozo driving with a Black Towel on the dash but otherwise it was very distracting. My Edge interior is Black and the Escape was Gray. Maybe the Black absorbs the UV better. I had tire issues with my Escape also. All four positions wore on the inside bead.

SRE

Loaner was an 08; can't remember the color. I think some people are just more sensitive to things than others are. I really have to look for the reflection on my Edge. It was blindingly obvious on the loaner Escape.

Others find it the opposite. Others don't see either.

Could be dash color. Angle of the sun based on what state they are in. Outside temperature. Sensitivity of eyes. What their vision is...

Oh well.

TN is good...has been very, very good to me.

• 5 months later...

The only time I notice any glare in the Edge is while driving in a very bright sun and directly into said sunlight. not if I'm going away from or at an obtuse angle.

there is almost no glare in my gf's '08 Highlander, which I drove this past weekend and was surprised. I think the windshield angle on the Edge is much more sloping, combined with a pretty flat dash (on top) which causes the reflection towards the driver. without redesigning the entire windshield and dash I don't think there's much else they could do.

just don't use shiny Armor All... which I already did. without it I bet I wouldn't have half as much glare

Edited by bri719

• 2 months later...

The glare from the tan dash of my Edge is quite noticeable under almost any conditions. So much so I've given thought to cutting a piece of the black Marine Grade Vinyl I have and laying it over the dash to reduce the glare. I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Other than that, we are extremely pleased with the Edge AWD SEL+. Mileage is acceptable, it's a Domestic car, comfortable, responsive and tows wonderfully. And the trans, if needing a way to select other than D or low, is a nice bit of work. I suppose the "Adaptive Hill-descent" feature was supposed to address the gear selection process but, although a nice feature, I would prefer manual selection and an instrument panel indicator showing what gear it's in at any time.

We got lucky with it because it only had 12K miles and we got it for under $24K. As a "Certified" car, it has a 100K mile powertrain warranty and 24K miles remaining on the bumper to bumper. Better than the new car warranty, to my way of thinking.

All-in-all, after 13K miles, a darn good car

And, to my eye, it's a "Looker".

Disclaimer: I've never been associated with Ford in any manner whatsoever and the preceding opinions are RMMPE's and RMMPE's alone. They are not endorsed by the Department of Homeland Security, the Coast Guard, the Coast Guard Academy, the Coast Guard Auxiliary, rubber duckies anywhere, Snopes, Snopeydog, Mustang Survival, Stearns Safety Gear, ACI, Comcast.net, Dell, AOL, Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, Mozilla, Godzilla, Mothra, YouTube, or any other entity that may be connected/disconnected to/from this post in the wildest legal or illegal sense.