Another Transmission problem?

bojo539

I am having the same problem as posted in the TSB regarding the transmission in 1st gear, however, I am also having a problem with shifting into 5th gear. When the trans shifts into 5th (I believe) around 40-43 MPH, the RPM's jump by about 500 when it shifts, making the trans seem like it is almost slipping. When it does so, you can even hear the engine rev as it shifts. It almost reminds me of how it sounds when you would shift with a manual transmission and not let off the gas when you pressed the clutch. Have there been any other reports of this or does anyone know any info about it? Any info would be helpful as I am getting ready to take it in for service and would like to give the dealer something to work with. Thanks!

43mph is when it shifts into 6th.

I get a very slight sound and flick on the tach that tells me it is shifting into 6th and just hanging onto the gas a bit too long. I wouldnt rate it as a problem and asked the techs about it when i took it in for an oil change, but they didnt think there was anything that could be done. No TSB to my knowledge about that one yet.

They also couldnt replicate the delayed shifting into 6th - it holds 5th until 55+/- which is about 2k rpm before shifting. It only seems to happen in hot weather - which we have had plenty of here. Its ok if i go on the highway as i am speeding up anyway, but on suburban streets where the limit is 45mph i dislike it not shifting up to top gear to get a little more fuel economy and quiet in the cabin.

• 2 weeks later...
43mph is when it shifts into 6th.

I get a very slight sound and flick on the tach that tells me it is shifting into 6th and just hanging onto the gas a bit too long. I wouldnt rate it as a problem and asked the techs about it when i took it in for an oil change, but they didnt think there was anything that could be done. No TSB to my knowledge about that one yet.

They also couldnt replicate the delayed shifting into 6th - it holds 5th until 55+/- which is about 2k rpm before shifting. It only seems to happen in hot weather - which we have had plenty of here. Its ok if i go on the highway as i am speeding up anyway, but on suburban streets where the limit is 45mph i dislike it not shifting up to top gear to get a little more fuel economy and quiet in the cabin.

Is this under normal or full acceleration? Notice any red oil spots under car?

First thing is check the trans fluid level. Don't rely on someone else. Look in manual or I'll tell you how if needed. Its easy. Saying it "only seems to happen in hot weather" makes me think its could be overfilled. If no underlying issues anyway. We'll see...

The slipping you feel is from torque converter or diffs. Trannys typically don't "slip" but jurk and/or make a gears grinding sound if theres a problem.

The shift delay and a slight increase in rpm betwwen gears is normal and controlled by the OBC, springs in the tranny. Common in new cars. Gives it a smooth ride. Not head jurking. Shift points are controlled by the OBC also. A handheld programmer will change both of these values but not eliminate the delay. Dunno if ones available for the Edge yet.

Just drove wifes edge and at 45 mph tach reads 1100 rpm.

I am having the same problem as posted in the TSB regarding the transmission in 1st gear, however, I am also having a problem with shifting into 5th gear. When the trans shifts into 5th (I believe) around 40-43 MPH, the RPM's jump by about 500 when it shifts, making the trans seem like it is almost slipping. When it does so, you can even hear the engine rev as it shifts. It almost reminds me of how it sounds when you would shift with a manual transmission and not let off the gas when you pressed the clutch. Have there been any other reports of this or does anyone know any info about it? Any info would be helpful as I am getting ready to take it in for service and would like to give the dealer something to work with. Thanks!

I am having the same problems with my Edge between 40-48 mph (5th gear). I took it in for service and was told that the noise is normal and occurs in all Edges "after they have been broken in." I asked to speak to a Ford Rep. about it and was told that the dealer cannot give out their number. I find this hard to believe that it is normal for any vehicle to perform in this fashion. My gas mileage around town is less than 15 MPG and I am not sure if this is somehow related.

Sounds like you are having the same exact problem as me. Did not notice a problem until I passed the 4,000 mile mark. I have not experienced this with any of my previous vehicles, although this is the first one I have had with a 6 speed trans. I have tried both harder and softer acceleration, and it still seems to be present no matter what RPM it shifts into 5th at. Also, 5th seems to be the only one with the issue, all the other gears shift without such a large jump in RPMs. It is a pretty noticable jump in RPM though, especially when you are driving with the windows down and can really hear the engine rev when it shifts. Luckily, I am so pleased with the vehicle overall that it's not going to kill me to have to live with it- thank God for the famous Ford 2 year lease program. Hopefully the issue will be corrected when I'm ready for my 2009 Edge.

Sounds like you are having the same exact problem as me. Did not notice a problem until I passed the 4,000 mile mark. I have not experienced this with any of my previous vehicles, although this is the first one I have had with a 6 speed trans. I have tried both harder and softer acceleration, and it still seems to be present no matter what RPM it shifts into 5th at. Also, 5th seems to be the only one with the issue, all the other gears shift without such a large jump in RPMs. It is a pretty noticable jump in RPM though, especially when you are driving with the windows down and can really hear the engine rev when it shifts. Luckily, I am so pleased with the vehicle overall that it's not going to kill me to have to live with it- thank God for the famous Ford 2 year lease program. Hopefully the issue will be corrected when I'm ready for my 2009 Edge.

When I picked my Edge up from being serviced by the Dealer, I was told that the noise when shifting into 5th was odd and probably should not happen, but since no codes came up from the computer to identify a problem, nothing could be done to fix it. They told me that Ford was called and they knew nothing about the problem. They said that probably not enough people have brought them in for service for the problem, hence Ford has not been made aware of the problem. They said that hopefully over time Ford will become aware of the problem and address it.