Ford Sync and iPhone

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if the Apple iPhone will work with Ford Sync? I can't seem to get an answer anywhere.

I have both and so far the phone does work although text messaging doesn't and voice mail doesn't. It works in most every other way so far as I can tell so far. If you have anymore specific questions let me know I will advise. Since I've only had my edge for a couple of days.

Marcello:

Something I don't get -

My phone, a Windows Mobile 6 phone, does voice, but not text messaging, email, etc. through SYNC. Also, it did not pick up my Media files. Am I missing something? I would think MS to MS systems...

Thanks G

MS Sync comes up a little short in my opinion. While it does do as advertised...there is much more it should and could do. Lousy interface. Constant errors with indexing music on my 5th. Generation Ipod. Iphone text messaging doesn't work. It is basically a bluetooth hands free phone system and a way to hard wire a MP3 player to the radio. Actually disapointed until a extensive software update is done!

My phone, a Windows Mobile 6 phone, does voice, but not text messaging, email, etc. through SYNC. Also, it did not pick up my Media files. Am I missing something? I would think MS to MS systems...

Same issues here. I have a Sprint/HTC PPC6800 Windows Mobile 6 and I can't get text messaging or streaming audio to work.

Hey Marcello:

Don't take this the wrong way, eh? We like what you guys are doing (I do at least), but you've got some enthusiast/techies here. We're curious how to make it better, not ganging up on your work!

G

I think its a bluetooth thing more then the sync problem. I'm having the same problems with my Nuvi 660

Edited by dslag6

No, I get and make calls...how can that be a Bluetooth issue,,,its a question of my text's etc...making it in...feels like a software question.

If the phone dosen't have the newest bluetooth version that sends the text and music to the sync it won't work. I'm not sure on this, but that what someone told me about my nuvi. On my nuvi all the calling stuff works but not the text stuff.

My Apple iPhone works fine with SYNC (after I changed text of contacts from capitals). The iPod function displays the music library and the iPhone function displays all my contacts.........I have not tried text message yet. The SYNC option has been great for me because I no longer fumble around with my phone trying to dial a number which I can't see because I can't find my reading glasses!

My Apple iPhone works fine with SYNC (after I changed text of contacts from capitals). The iPod function displays the music library and the iPhone function displays all my contacts.........I have not tried text message yet. The SYNC option has been great for me because I no longer fumble around with my phone trying to dial a number which I can't see because I can't find my reading glasses!

It won't text message or do virtual voicemail! Phone, Contacts, & Call History Only. The more I use Sync the more I'm convinced it could be a whole lot better with a MAJOR software update. Right now it really doesn't stand out from any other vehicle systems that have Bluetooth & control an MP3 player. I wouldn't go out of my way to have Sync but I would for Bluetooth and MP3 player functionality.

It won't text message or do virtual voicemail! Phone, Contacts, & Call History Only. The more I use Sync the more I'm convinced it could be a whole lot better with a MAJOR software update. Right now it really doesn't stand out from any other vehicle systems that have Bluetooth & control an MP3 player. I wouldn't go out of my way to have Sync but I would for Bluetooth and MP3 player functionality.

I do not have any problems using SYNC with my iPod. It displays the music library and switches between artist, album, track, etc with voice command. With the iPhone, it is all in one so I just plug into USB and leave iPhone in the console and I'm good to go. I don't text message anyway but I realize many people do.

Which other vehicles can control MULTIPLE mp3 players, not just ipods, with voice control?

I'm sure the iPhone features are different than normal cell phones so give them a few months to get it fully integrated. The good news is whenever the software update is ready you can just pop it onto a usb flash drive and upgrade it.

No, I get and make calls...how can that be a Bluetooth issue,,,its a question of my text's etc...making it in...feels like a software question.

There are a multitude of Bluetooth profiles that exist. The profile that is most commonly implemented by phone manufacturers is the HFP profile (or a subset of it). This allows SYNC to make phone calls and act as a handsfree device for your phone. The fact that you can or can't use a certain feature of your phone (i.e. text messages) is a function of the Bluetooth profile implementation on the phone, not SYNC. For example, Windows Mobile 6.0 does not support text messaging over Bluetooth hence you can't send or receive messages from the phone on SYNC.

Furthermore, visual voice mail is an iPhone only feature that is not in any Bluetooth specification. Until it is specified by the Bluetooth committee it won't be possible to make use of it over BLuetooth.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

There are a multitude of Bluetooth profiles that exist. The profile that is most commonly implemented by phone manufacturers is the HFP profile (or a subset of it). This allows SYNC to make phone calls and act as a handsfree device for your phone. The fact that you can or can't use a certain feature of your phone (i.e. text messages) is a function of the Bluetooth profile implementation on the phone, not SYNC. For example, Windows Mobile 6.0 does not support text messaging over Bluetooth hence you can't send or receive messages from the phone on SYNC.

Furthermore, visual voice mail is an iPhone only feature that is not in any Bluetooth specification. Until it is specified by the Bluetooth committee it won't be possible to make use of it over BLuetooth.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Do you know what we can look for in a phone that has the right Bluetooth profiles to work with the SYNC's Text.

Does anyone have a phone that does the Bluetooth text? If so what Bluetooth profile is It?

Thanks for clarifying that, Mark. It's great to have feedback right from the "source." :)

Oh, and I was able to get streaming audio to work -- I had to make sure the PPC and SYNC were paired first before initiating the streaming audio on the PPC.

I'm looking forward to the "Owner to Owner" section of the syncmyride.com site to open up. I think it'll be a great forum to share SYNC-specific information.

• 2 years later...

Really? Cause I've been trying to get the voice dialer to work since purchasing the Edge in the summer. It'll recognize all my voice commands, except when I want to call someone from my contacts. What sort order do you have the addresses in? (last, first?).

Do all the contacts have to be in sentence case? or just the ones I want to ask sync to dial?

thanks,

JP

• 8 months later...

MS Sync comes up a little short in my opinion. While it does do as advertised...there is much more it should and could do. Lousy interface. Constant errors with indexing music on my 5th. Generation Ipod. Iphone text messaging doesn't work. It is basically a bluetooth hands free phone system and a way to hard wire a MP3 player to the radio. Actually disapointed until a extensive software update is done!

What phone does work with the SYNC texting feature?

• 1 month later...