SYNC add-on

Anybody think I can add this to my 2007 Nav/Audiophile system in the future? Other than not having a phone button on my steering wheel, I am wondering if an interface or dealer install may be down the pike

I don't know, but I would be interested.

Pay them enough and they will do whatever you want. What about a gps with handfsree built in? LIke this...nuvi 660

DOH...you have nav already. Sorry they overcharged you and many others. It looks good though. Hmmm... Ford Sync. It uses M$ software and thats where I stopped reading. Means it may work and it may not with your device. Better chance with a device running M$ software. PFFT! Hate em!! Lets see...OK.."price to be announced". Typical! Here we go "On models where Sync is optional, it will be priced at $395. On certain lower-series vehicles where enabling equipment – such as steering wheel audio controls -- is not standard, additional equipment may be required at an additional cost."-Ford Press

Then add labor, tax, donut break fees, etc. For that price, buy a i-phone or similar and be done with it is my advice. Portable is always good. I'm letting others be i-phone gunny pigs for now. Maybe even a lappy for that price? Or better yet, put the $ in an IRA! You'll need it later in life! Trust me!!

GL whatever you decide!

Sync will have bugs for atleast a year knowing MS and may never work with all devices. Cool... but overpriced. Took 10k people 5 years to create vista which only gives us DX10 and eye candy that xp could already do. Never did or will fix there last OS...XP. Beware! Ever try calling the tech support? Your lucky if the person speaks good English. Be talking to someone from India. Try it! Ever wonder why MS owns banks? MS got a copy of every email on win 98 pc's! I dont care...but why? Even if you use mac or linux, MS gets some of your money if you pay taxes. Then hackers steal it! Sniff! Sniff! I smell it!!! Do you?

OH, and dont trust your nav. Its not that smart. Some roads are not up to date or even still there. Told me to turn right on an outfall line! SO..I did! LOL! Even Drove in the ocean and told me to drive threw the marine base(which they wont let you do) on last trip. Still need a map for backup. Mine may be worse than your's which is a Garmin nuvi 650. Dunno. Just know how to get there from real map or it may take you the long way with many traffic lights and small towns. Anyone seen something similar?

Deciphered? Which part? Sorry to go over your head or bore you. This is a forum..yes? You came to a for expecting to not read? :headscratch: Are one liners a conversation? Have those in real life? I don't. Now thats boring! Maybe reading more will increase your read rate? I dunno! Have I offended you in some way? Sorry if I did! Do I need to include pics? Fonts to small? Double Spacing? Whats the problem? Need help with some other post of mine? Be specific!

I gave my 2 cents to bluedart and nobody else has anything useful or opinions to add thus far. I gave AN OPINION!! Links for reference even. Maybe he will find it useful...maybe not. He asked a question and I answer it. Did I not? Is that not why we are here?

OK..cliff notes version,

Yes they will do it. Will cost $500+. Not worth the money. MS is slow with updates. New MS software always has bugs and could take a year to get them fixed. Better off buying new phone or saving the money. May be cheaper too. FYI...NAV maps are not up to date.

That better/simple enough???? Sounds like a kid in a hurry w/ poor grammar. Not than mine is any good to begin with. Appropriate for a txt msg I guess.

Once I learned to type fast...I type like I talk. Don't you?

Lets see what starter has to say....Bluedart... was my post of any help or use to you? What about mkx or sues post?

:backtotopic:

Edited by rehtaf

I don't want to drift too far from the OP's original question, but a quick comment on the Nav. So far, I've found it to be fairly dead on. We drove up to NE PA last week, where I'm pretty much lost. When getting off the turnpike, I saw a sign for my destination that said to turn right. The Nav was telling me to turn left. So, questioning the accuracy of the GPS, I turned right. I never saw another sign, and drove around for ten minutes while ignoring the Nav. Finally I gave in, and sure enough, it took us directly to the location.

Have I noticed a few roads that haven't been updated? Sure. Will it be better in some locations than others? Probably. I still think it beats the heck out of messing with a map or confusing online directions.

Back to the Sync. I'm definitely interested in adding it on, especially since my wife tends to talk on her phone everywhere she drive, which scares me. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $500+ however, when I can buy a portable bluetooth device that can be moved into different cars for about $100. I guess it all depends on whether or not the voice commands and text messaging capabilities are worth it to you. I'm still on the fence on this one.

Aye! BT device and FM transmitter w/ new i-pod less than $350 and portable. More for less! Just lacks the voice but pushing a button my lazy arse can even handle. Most cells have voice built in so Sync's only addition would be voice for mp3's. Unless I missed something. I burnt mine to one dvd. 4.4GB is enough for me. I didn't mean to imply the nav wont get you there. Just that it may not be the best route.

What seems to be a first for Ford, is that they have something that no other competitor seems to have yet. Sync. I've been asked why the radio doesn't support HD radio and I agree. I believe it is cheaper to pick up a satellite signal and decode it, rather than waiting for the price of HD radio electronics to drop enough that the auto manufacturers start to add that option into the head unit's.

This goes back a few years to here:

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_dis...m?release=20129

However, technology moves too quickly and by the time it ends up in a vehicle it's usually outdated and so all these radio navigation/media systems will be in a few years also. Does anyone remember a phonograph player that mounted onto the transmission hump of a car? Supplanted by the 8-Track*, then cassette, then CD/DVD, now iPOD, soon mini hard-drive, flash cards. Not to mention clothing that already has built in media storage/player. What happened to the Pager craze of just 10 years ago?

Since mobile phones store song's, might sync pull a song off your phone and play it thru the car system? Is an iPOD WiFi enabled yet? If not perhaps v2.01 will be.

With a THX II car audio systems, you should be able to hear how poor the quality is in your MP3's now. Flash Cards, cheaper daily, Navigation maps delivered thru mobile phones, displayed on a Nav/Radio screen. The Edge achieves part of it's built in quietness due to increased window thickness, but I don't think that will bring back an awareness of greater song fidelity/quality that people strived for until the advent of MP3's.

Sync fills a purpose towards the end of this decade. Frees your ear of making you look like a Borg/Cyborg. Might also cause a decrease in accident rates while people juggle a phone while driving. Perhaps bridging/morphing technologies. You can believe their are electronics firms heavily involved in this as we speak.

I can see Sync evolving along side radio's, that start to incorporate Hard-drives. Land phone lines are declining. Mobile phones increasing. Maybe in 15 years, I might not be using a desktop at home, but a laptop PC, with community WiFi. My Car radio acting as an answering machine, allowing me to also pull song's from the net and storing them, displaying a map when I voice command it to retrieve one from the nearest WiFi enabled Library media server. A lot of people already use a vehicle as a mobile office and can fax and retrieve on the road.

I have already gotten too far off topic myself. Sync as a retrofit/addon. I don't think so. it will require a Microphone, and button interface and new head unit. But that won't stop a few people on this forum from doing it, they have already done the turn-signal mirrors. :)

*= BTW I met and shook hands with the inventer of the 8-track, and he also offered me a job, when I was younger, His name was Bill Lear, the same man, who invented the Lear Jet.

What seems to be a first for Ford, is that they have something that no other competitor seems to have yet. Sync. I've been asked why the radio doesn't support HD radio and I agree. I believe it is cheaper to pick up a satellite signal and decode it, rather than waiting for the price of HD radio electronics to drop enough that the auto manufacturers start to add that option into the head unit's.

This goes back a few years to here:

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_dis...m?release=20129

However, technology moves too quickly and by the time it ends up in a vehicle it's usually outdated and so all these radio navigation/media systems will be in a few years also. Does anyone remember a phonograph player that mounted onto the transmission hump of a car? Supplanted by the 8-Track*, then cassette, then CD/DVD, now iPOD, soon mini hard-drive, flash cards. Not to mention clothing that already has built in media storage/player. What happened to the Pager craze of just 10 years ago?

Since mobile phones store song's, might sync pull a song off your phone and play it thru the car system? Is an iPOD WiFi enabled yet? If not perhaps v2.01 will be.

With a THX II car audio systems, you should be able to hear how poor the quality is in your MP3's now. Flash Cards, cheaper daily, Navigation maps delivered thru mobile phones, displayed on a Nav/Radio screen. The Edge achieves part of it's built in quietness due to increased window thickness, but I don't think that will bring back an awareness of greater song fidelity/quality that people strived for until the advent of MP3's.

Sync fills a purpose towards the end of this decade. Frees your ear of making you look like a Borg/Cyborg. Might also cause a decrease in accident rates while people juggle a phone while driving. Perhaps bridging/morphing technologies. You can believe their are electronics firms heavily involved in this as we speak.

I can see Sync evolving along side radio's, that start to incorporate Hard-drives. Land phone lines are declining. Mobile phones increasing. Maybe in 15 years, I might not be using a desktop at home, but a laptop PC, with community WiFi. My Car radio acting as an answering machine, allowing me to also pull song's from the net and storing them, displaying a map when I voice command it to retrieve one from the nearest WiFi enabled Library media server. A lot of people already use a vehicle as a mobile office and can fax and retrieve on the road.

I have already gotten too far off topic myself. Sync as a retrofit/addon. I don't think so. it will require a Microphone, and button interface and new head unit. But that won't stop a few people on this forum from doing it, they have already done the turn-signal mirrors. :)

*= BTW I met and shook hands with the inventer of the 8-track, and he also offered me a job, when I was younger, His name was Bill Lear, the same man, who invented the Lear Jet.

Thanks for an enjoyable trip down memory lane, MKX! Brought back a few memories for me, that's for sure!

1. Interested in Sync for showing Ipod Track and controlling and showing that on display

2. How do you get turn signal mirrors, for Lincoln model? :)

Greetings:

#1, I have the Navigation unit, and it has a space at the end of the 'Media' panel for auxiliary. Inside the center console is a built in plug receptacle for your iPOD. I however do not have an iPOD, so I can't go further into the operation for you. But I wouldn't be surprised if some options pop up once an iPOD is plugged in that you can scan it by group. And I'm sure you'll be able to cycle thru the songs from the steering wheel. Others would have to tell you how it works.

#2, Maybe do a search on here for mirrors? Was it Salean that installed turn-signal mirrors in his/hers Edge? I do know their are 2 photo's of it and a description of how it was done. Good question on doing it for a Lincoln, as the outside mirrors are also Auto-dimming/heated mirrors too.

While not completely sure if this is how it works, I can say that my wife's iPod does not show any song titles or other information on the Nav screen. You can't even go to the next song using the steering wheel controls. Everything (except volume) must be done through the iPod itself.

Anyone else have different results?

While not completely sure if this is how it works, I can say that my wife's iPod does not show any song titles or other information on the Nav screen. You can't even go to the next song using the steering wheel controls. Everything (except volume) must be done through the iPod itself.

Anyone else have different results?

Your iPod's working correctly, same as mine....I think 07MKX was referring to the way the Sync system might work with iPods in the 2008 model.

Anybody think I can add this to my 2007 Nav/Audiophile system in the future? Other than not having a phone button on my steering wheel, I am wondering if an interface or dealer install may be down the pike

Theoretically possible, but would cost you lots of money (new Nav headunit, lots of custom installation costs)... So effectively, no.

• 2 months later...

most edge with a AUX buton or SAT can use this ipod interface i seen it show text on the radio display

http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-374-112-pie...-2005-2007.aspx

about the navigation sync

IT WILL better to install a aftermarquet radio from alpine,pioneer or kennwood they have ipod cables for the radio for under $50.00 they also have voice comand modules for under $100.00

and stering remote and a lot easy to install i am sure the factory unit will work but it will cost a lot more to piece it all together or find all the parts that you need

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/p...3070352,00.html