AutoNation (Mike Shad) Ford Jacksonville

I am generally the type who gives great leeway to dealers because I worked in various dealerships for many years and I know the kind of problems they experience. However, I will say that in general, import dealerships tend to go the extra mile to satisfy customers much more than domestic dealers. This was especially true in the 80s and 90s but is still evident today.

That said, I finally had the last straw with our local AutoNation (Mike Shad) Ford dealer after getting the Edge's turn signal switch replaced under warranty a few days ago. Unfortunately, I ended up so furious at them that I probably said some things I shouldn't have. But as I said, this was not a single incident but rather a chain of events involving two vehicles we purchased and have been having serviced there.

Despite having an appointment, the T/S switch replacement took four hours to complete... it's a 0.6 (36 minute) job. The service writer kept trying to convince me that it was a two hour job despite the fact that I had read the service manual instructions (three bolts, remove trim panel, two bolts, remove switch, reverse to install). I don't abide being lied to (more on that in a moment). The real kicker was that when we finally got the vehicle back, the trim panel had not been reinstalled properly so we had to go back to get it fixed. What kind of quality control is that?

The problems originally started with my '11 Mustang for which I bought a maintenance contract that covered ten oil changes and tire rotations for only $300. Each appointment included a multi-point inspection and fluid top-ups. I was getting these oil changes every 5K miles mostly for the tire rotations (the oil can go much longer than that) until the service writer told me that they only rotate every other service (10K miles) because more often was not necessary. With 30,000 miles on the car, I went to a local tire store to get all four new tires. The tech there brought me into the shop to see that all four tires were completely bald on the inside edge. Not only does that mean I needed an alignment but also that the tires had been rotated in that worn condition without the dealer ever advising me that they were wearing unevenly. Again... quality control? The same dealer service adviser tried to convince me that road hazard warranties only cover manufacturer defects and not things like nail punctures - totally false but I gave up trying to argue with him.

The Edge had a noise in the steering when turning left that the dealer ended up replacing rack, pump, reservoir and hoses four times to resolve. What are the chances that four complete power steering systems all had the same problem? Or was it incompetent technicians again? Beyond that, we got a call from Enterprise that Ford was not going to pay for the rental they gave us as a loaner while the Edge was in the shop. We ignored it and I guess Ford eventually ended up covering the cost of their "loaner".

The sales department was equally annoying. Buying a new vehicle is always an aggravating experience so I made allowances that maybe they really weren't any worse than other dealers... despite the fact that the deal was X-plan fixed pricing so it should have gone smoother. But the finance guy (who we could not avoid even though we had pre-approved financing) tried to sell us a "comprehensive" maintenance plan that covered all scheduled maintenance for 100K miles. It was an $1,800 contract but we would save so much money because it covered the "expensive" 500 mile service, 10,000 mile service, 25,000 mile service, etc. We would save hundreds of dollars. Of course, most of you know that there are no such service requirements on new Edges. In fact, other than oil changes, tire rotations and the occasional filter replacement, there is no scheduled service for the first 100,000 miles! This was the most bald-faced lie I have ever experienced in a dealership yet when I later complained to the finance manager, they didn't care.

So, the end result was that I told them I wanted the balance of the oil change contract refunded so that we would never have to return to this dealer. It's a shame because they are so conveniently located but we just can't trust them.

Edited by TheWizard

It's too bad you have to put up with this kind of stuff. I am sure just about every owner has a tale or two regarding poor service, sales, or finance experiences. There are good dealers out there, it's just a matter of finding them.

The tech there brought me into the shop to see that all four tires were completely bald on the inside edge. Not only does that mean I needed an alignment but also that the tires had been rotated in that worn condition without the dealer ever advising me that they were wearing unevenly.

When I have had a dealer do The Works (oil change, filter, tire rotation) it also included the multi-point inspections. I was always given a seperate sheet with brake pad condition, battery condition, tire condition and thread depth, etc. Sounds like your dealer was taking a short cut and not providing you with a compete multi-point inspection.

Hope you get something resolved with them or can find a more competent dealer.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to get the oil changed today (25000 miles) at a dealer because it has been too cold here to do it myself. I went to a dealership I've used in the past and know their tendency to try and sell other services. They are very big on trying to sell the motor flush, radiator flush, transmission flush, power steering flush, brake fluid flush, and coolant flush (ZAK fluids used). They try to say about 25000 miles or so on some of these "maintenance" requirements.

I am also familiar with their throttle body service and cleaning sales pitch. I always refuse these extras because they are not necessary in my (or most other owners) situations. The owners manual spells out exactly what REALLY needs to be done and when, and under what type of driving conditions. I do 5000 mile oil/filter/tire rotation, and usually do all of the maintenance items myself. This is a bit on the early side but I believe in the long run it's worth it.

I heard a new up sell from them today. They recommended the usual throttle body cleaning and service ( I refused even though they said it was necessary at 25-30000 miles) The service adviser then told me I needed to have the tires balanced.

Part of the Works Package is a tire inspection so I asked him to show me on the report where it said I had uneven wear on the tires. He said they were wearing perfectly. I then asked him why I have NO VIBRATION when driving even at 75 MPH (legal speed limit on many highways here) if I needed wheel balancing. After a few UH, Well, etc he said tires need to be balanced every 10-15000 miles. I told him no thanks, paid the $39.95 for the Works Package, and left.

They also messed up the tire rotation just going front to back, back to front. I specifically asked for front to back, and back to front and crossed as shown in the manual. This order was noted on the write up before any work was done. I've done every vehicle I've owned for the last 20 years or so with this pattern, and have had great results. I was able to watch as they did the rotation, and had the "mechanic" correct the order before he tightened the lug nuts.

I feel sorry for uninformed owners who don't know any better and waste money on unnecessary work.

Edited by ls973800

And the sad part is that Ford is powerless to do anything about it thanks to state franchise laws.

If you have to go back tell then you want the blinker fluid flushed.

Maybe that is what took them so long... they replaced the blinker fluid while they were changing the switch. I hope they used the good stuff...http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22

Hey all! I just want to let you know I'm able to document dealer feedback (both positive and negative) for internal review. If this is something you're interested in, please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, servicing dealership, and details of your visit (if you haven't posted them in a thread already).

Todd

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Does this offer still stand? I couldn't be more dissatisfied with the dealer in my area. Not anything related to my edge Sport though. This is all about poor, incompetent service I received on my F250.

Hey all! I just want to let you know I'm able to document dealer feedback (both positive and negative) for internal review. If this is something you're interested in, please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, servicing dealership, and details of your visit (if you haven't posted them in a thread already).

Todd

Does this offer still stand? I couldn't be more dissatisfied with the dealer in my area. Not anything related to my edge Sport though. This is all about poor, incompetent service I received on my F250.

Good morning yzfman,

This offer always stands. I'm here to document any feedback - positive or negative. Just shoot me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, dealership name, and experience details.

Todd