2008 Edge SE Projectors

Are there any projectors available for the '08 that use two sets of projectors vs the Spec-D that only has the single set?

My only worry in a single set is that the shutter in the light could potentially stop working and cause failures in the light itself vs having just two sets of projectors that are fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi elricfate. Looking around on hidplanet.com, I've not heard of anyone speaking highly of spec-d tuning lights. Most of the discussion is around light output, which may or may not be of interest to you as you're asking more about longevity. That, I haven't heard much about. I would say, however, that depending on your skill level and/or your budget, you might consider a quality retrofit. I'm in the process of retrofitting projectors into my 2010 SEL. With a quality bi-xenon projector, you shouldn't have to worry about the brights staying on or not working. It takes some patience, getting the lens off, but I think the results make it worth the extra work involved. Otherwise, you can find people online that will do these retrofits for you, through hidplanet.com or even theretrofitsource.com. Here's a photo of my retrofit that I'm working on.

EdgeHID

Mark

• Like 3

Hi elricfate. Looking around on hidplanet.com, I've not heard of anyone speaking highly of spec-d tuning lights. Most of the discussion is around light output, which may or may not be of interest to you as you're asking more about longevity. That, I haven't heard much about. I would say, however, that depending on your skill level and/or your budget, you might consider a quality retrofit. I'm in the process of retrofitting projectors into my 2010 SEL. With a quality bi-xenon projector, you shouldn't have to worry about the brights staying on or not working. It takes some patience, getting the lens off, but I think the results make it worth the extra work involved. Otherwise, you can find people online that will do these retrofits for you, through hidplanet.com or even theretrofitsource.com. Here's a photo of my retrofit that I'm working on.

Mark

That's a damn good looking job. Which projectors are you using for your retrofit?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/bi-xenon-mini-stage-3-kit-d2s.html#.VPTYsfnIbuk

If you click this link, I believe it should take you directly to the complete kit that I bought. I went with the 'X lens' which is the square lens option. I thought it'd look good with the shape of our headlights. I went with the PanaSquare shrouds and found that they need zero trimming for our headlights, which probably has more to do with the size of that opening and not the shroud itself. I'm sure most shrouds will fit in that space with little to no trimming. I received 4300K D2S bulbs with this kit, which is what OEM HID setups run. Thanks for the compliment!

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/bi-xenon-mini-stage-3-kit-d2s.html#.VPTYsfnIbuk

If you click this link, I believe it should take you directly to the complete kit that I bought. I went with the 'X lens' which is the square lens option. I thought it'd look good with the shape of our headlights. I went with the PanaSquare shrouds and found that they need zero trimming for our headlights, which probably has more to do with the size of that opening and not the shroud itself. I'm sure most shrouds will fit in that space with little to no trimming. I received 4300K D2S bulbs with this kit, which is what OEM HID setups run. Thanks for the compliment!

That, right there, that's helpful. Very, very helpful, especially after seeing your application of the kit, extremely helpful. Are you going to do a write-up of your particular install? If not, I'm sure I can go about finding all sorts of information on retrofits, I was just wondering. The square lens and shrouds look really nice with the squareness of our headlights.

If I do the retrofit myself it's about $400ish, that's not terrible.

You can definitely do the retrofit for $400 or less if you do the work yourself. If you go the square route and are thinking about angel eyes, you might go with a different shroud than I did. The angel eyes don't fit flush with the front, so I'm ditching the angel eyes altogether. I'd cut you a deal on them if you decide to go that route. I might put together a write up as I know it was difficult for me to find exactly what I was looking for as I started this. I certainly made my mistakes, which I think everyone could learn from. I'll be ordering a passenger side light soon, so I can retrofit the other projector, and at that time I'll be able to finally mount them on the car for the harness install and projector alignment. I'll try to take as many pictures along the way and post something on here on what to expect. My first piece of advice is to have patience. It's not a one day project, so plan to do this when you don't need your vehicle, or just order some new (or used, or aftermarket) housings so you can really take your time. Getting the OEM lens off was very difficult, where the aftermarket lens came off in an hour for me. The permaseal glue used on these is very difficult to work with, but I'll explain that all in a write up.

• Like 1

i also tried to do a retrofit and boy you aren't kidding, these were the worst headlights to work with in terms of getting the lens off i have ever experienced and i have been doing zeros for years now. I actually ended up scrapping my project all together and selling my kit on eBay. I did end up with the black housing spec d projectors and have used them now for about 7 months. I can say i have had a great experience with them this far but i am selling them because i am going in a different direction as far as looks go, trying to source 2009 sport headlight and forgo the projector altogether, going to take them apart and color match them to my car and i made a custom clear corner for them. Wishing i didn't sell my stock ones after replacing them with these projectors. I have a 55w hid kit in mine and they give out more than enough light for the dark roads of north western IL

• Like 1

i also tried to do a retrofit and boy you aren't kidding, these were the worst headlights to work with in terms of getting the lens off i have ever experienced and i have been doing zeros for years now. I actually ended up scrapping my project all together and selling my kit on eBay. I did end up with the black housing spec d projectors and have used them now for about 7 months. I can say i have had a great experience with them this far but i am selling them because i am going in a different direction as far as looks go, trying to source 2009 sport headlight and forgo the projector altogether, going to take them apart and color match them to my car and i made a custom clear corner for them. Wishing i didn't sell my stock ones after replacing them with these projectors. I have a 55w hid kit in mine and they give out more than enough light for the dark roads of north western IL

You have a picture of how they actually look on a real (not showroom) car?

yea go here http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13407-what-have-you-done-towith-your-edgemkx-today/page-14

Page 14 and 15 i have a few different posts with the light on and off and different angles and so forth. just follow the transformation pics i tricked my edge out pretty heavily. Unfortunately mostly iPhone pics so they aren't the best pics to look at but you'll get the idea of how they look. you'll also notice the top led bar in the headlight not on in if the later pics that because i rewired to turn signal wire so that the halos shine by themselves at night with my led driving bar.