Which draw tite hitch to go with.

On the hidden one I just loop the 4 pin through the chain hooks when its not in use, if it is then just grab a rubber band and strap it to the receiver. You could also get a mount from the store that you can glue onto a side of the receiver. Or since the heat shield has to be removed you could attach a mount to one of the holes on the diffuser.

Edited by Beezz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was looking at these also. Question I have is with the hidden hitch you have to remove the heat shield which also looks like it protects the rear bumper from debris as well. Has anyone put on the hidden hitch and had problems? I know I like the look of it but don't like the idea of removing that heat shield.

Would not mind hearing from someone who has one installed hidden or exposed. Not concerned about which one looks better more so about how it is when installed. Kick sensor is not a big deal breaker for me used it maybe twice in 9 months.

Hey Akirby. I was watching the install video on etrailer and it looked like the bar on the Draw-Tite would rest on the center screw that holds the shield. The installer actually had to cut off the end of the screw so the hitch would fit.

Maybe the MKX is different on the underside? The 2016 etrailer shows them removing the bumper (sounds extreme)

The piece I am talking about is attached to the rear bumper and has a vertical shield that slides up in behind the bumper.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Edge/2016/75234.html?vehicleid=201642260

Do the cars that came with a hitch have anything else installed from the factory like a transmission cooler? Or different springs?

I believe it's additional tranny and oil coolers. I don't think the springs are different but you can go to fordparts.com and see if they have different part numbers for springs with and without towing pkg.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can say for sure the hidden hitch doesn't block the kick to open liftgate sensor at all. I've heard complaints about the other models (curt, draw-tite) blocking it more and that was the case for sure on our 2014 Escape.

I just had a Draw Tite installed on my 2017 Titanium and the "kick to open" works just fine.