Struts - plus what else?

All,

I just purchased 2 KYB Excel-G front struts for my '11 Ltd AWD. Bought them from a member here, still in the box brand new both for $85. While I won't be needing them for a while (71k miles currently) it was too good a deal to pass up. In doing some research I have found that it is typical to also do front end links & bushings, strut bearing mounts, bump stops and bellows when doing struts. My question is: Anything else? sway bar bushings maybe? I don't want to get into putting a new front end on it but I just need to know what are the typically ancillary items when doing front struts? I do not intend to do the coil springs.

Thanks for any feedback!

There are only struts and strut bearing mounts. Buy the motorcraft strut bearing mounts. By the greaseable MOOG sway bar links. Forget everything else. They do not have bellows, or bump stops on struts. Never replaced a set of sway bar bushing yet, especially at your low mileage. You should buy rear shocks also.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 2

Yep, as always. I've settled on the struts (in hand), new strut bearings, strut mount bushings, and the Moog Problem Solver end link kit. I think I will also need strut boots tho. The front end all told will come to about $240 with the great deal I got on the struts. I am very happy about that. I do intend to do rear shocks while I'm at it also. As I said, this job will be a while off but I just could not pass up new KYB struts for $90.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There are only struts and strut bearing mounts. Buy the motorcraft strut bearing mounts. By the greaseable MOOG sway bar links. Forget everything else. They do not have bellows, or bump stops on struts. Never replaced a set of sway bar bushing yet, especially at your low mileage. You should buy rear shocks also.

I noticed in an older post you were recommending moog strut mounts, why have you changed your mind? I am getting ready to install new shocks and struts and was thinking of going ahead and doing the mounts as well. Just making sure I get the best bang for my buck. Thanks

I noticed in an older post you were recommending moog strut mounts, why have you changed your mind? I am getting ready to install new shocks and struts and was thinking of going ahead and doing the mounts as well. Just making sure I get the best bang for my buck. Thanks

I have found the motorcraft to be a better choice and better strut bearing mount than the moog over time.

• Like 1

Haven't ordered yet, but do the motorcraft strut mount come with the upper insulator and does anyone have a source for the lower insulator? Everything I find online says upper insulator. I am thinking the kyb kit I found is just the mount and upper insulator. or is the upper insulator actually the lower that I need? Ford parts online doesn't even list anything in between the mount and spring but they do list the lower but none of the parts stores list them.

Edited by chrissnow

Haven't ordered yet, but do the motorcraft strut mount come with the upper insulator and does anyone have a source for the lower insulator? Everything I find online says upper insulator. I am thinking the kyb kit I found is just the mount and upper insulator. or is the upper insulator actually the lower that I need? Ford parts online doesn't even list anything in between the mount and spring but they do list the lower but none of the parts stores list them.

You are making this harder than it needs to be. Just order the struts and strut bearing mount. Everything will work out. Never bought an insulator for any Edge just reuse and and it will be fine.

You are making this harder than it needs to be. Just order the struts and strut bearing mount. Everything will work out. Never bought an insulator for any Edge just reuse and and it will be fine.

ok thanks, i was just wanting to make sure I had everything I needed. I don't mind replacing it all while it's tore apart,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...