Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ask A Professional Detailer?

• Please log in to reply
448 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CanuckG35

CanuckG35

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

So Canuck ~ Just thought I would let you know that I washed my baby for the first time. I will only tell you that I did it myself with a hose (it is above freezing today), but I won't horrify you with any other details. Just be proud I did it myself and no drive through. :)

Good for you, I am most definitely proud of you! :) Posted ImagePosted Image

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   johnd01

johnd01

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hi Canuck,

So when should someone put a sealant on new car paint? I'm in Minnesota and pending confirmation from the dealer should be picking up my new ride early-mid November, and the average high temp is 40F. I'm hoping that the factory paint/treatment job will last until spring (April/May). What is your advice?

#23 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,137 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:53 PM

Hi Canuck,

So when should someone put a sealant on new car paint?

Immediately.

#24 OFFLINE   CanuckG35

CanuckG35

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

Hi Canuck,

So when should someone put a sealant on new car paint? I'm in Minnesota and pending confirmation from the dealer should be picking up my new ride early-mid November, and the average high temp is 40F. I'm hoping that the factory paint/treatment job will last until spring (April/May). What is your advice?

When should apply a sealant on new car paint? Immediately. There is no paint protection applied from the factory, which is why it's always recommended to do it right away. Regarding the application in November and for longevity reasons, it's typically recommended to apply a sealant at a temperature of at least 50 degrees. If you have a heated garage or know someone that does, it would be optimal. With the lower temperatures, it will just take longer for the sealant to haze before you can wipe it off. Like you, I will be taking delivery in November (late November), and the first things I will be doing is claybarring it, polishing it, and then sealing it with Menzerna Power Lock.

I hope this helps. :)

#25 OFFLINE   johnd01

johnd01

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the info Canuck. If the dealer offers a sealant application should I take it, or find a local detailer, or try to do it myself? If the dealer offers it, can I use your method & product selection as a benchmark? How do I know the dealer isn't going to just spray WD40 on it an call it a day?

I'm a bit leery about doing it myself because I've built furniture before as a hobby, and if I screwed up the finish I could just take it down a little and start again. i don't think you have that option with car paint finishes, especially if it's a funky metallic/glass Tuxedo Black.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by johnd01, 04 October 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   CanuckG35

CanuckG35

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for the info Canuck. If the dealer offers a sealant application should I take it, or find a local detailer, or try to do it myself? If the dealer offers it, can I use your method & product selection as a benchmark? How do I know the dealer isn't going to just spray WD40 on it an call it a day?

I'm a bit leery about doing it myself because I've built furnature before just for fun, and if I screwed up the finish I could just take it down a little and start again. i don't think you have that option with car paint finishes, especially if it's a funky metallic/glass Tuxedo Black.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

If your detalership offers you their "1 year" paint protection, don't waste your money. Not only is it overpriced, but it doesn't have anywhere the durability that they claim. A detailer like myself will always clay bar, polish, seal, wax a new vehicle, however the average DIY guy can easily get away with simply applying a sealant. Applying a sealant like Menzerna's Power Lock is fool proof. If you are using some decent microfiber towels, there is really no way you can do harm applying a sealant. Just know that applying a carnuba wax or a sealant can always be easlily removed unlike your oil based wood based finishes you mentioned above. Any other questions, just let me know. :)
  • PrinzII likes this

#27 OFFLINE   alboone

alboone

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:55 PM

Good question. If I had to purchase an over the counter product, it probably would be the Tech Wax 2.0.

Brands like Poorboys, Menzerna, Chemical Guys, Zaino, Blackfire, Klasse, etc are not available over the counter and are only available at detailing stores. While detailing is more than just a hobby for me, I only purchase products from professional detailing stores. For the US, I would highly recommend www.detailedimage.com and in Canada I would recommend www.eshine.ca

Canuck, thanks for all your helpful info.

I was checking out the carnauba waxes on www.detailedimage.com, but there are a lot of brands I have never heard of. What would you recommend for my platinum white edge? I would like something that has a high shine; and I do wax my cars regularly.
Thanks.

#28 OFFLINE   zoravar

zoravar

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:45 AM

I pick up my MKX this week. Looking forward to it!

I'm looking at polishing and sealing my car this weekend.

I looked up the Menzerna Power Lock on eShine.ca They're recommend using an orbital polisher.. I only have have terry cloth towels.

Other then saving time in application, are there any other advantages to using a polisher when applying a sealant?

Also, for a black finish, do you have any recommendations for a polish? I want a super duper high gloss :D

#29 OFFLINE   wilsons66604

wilsons66604

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Member
  • 1,812 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:24 AM

I haven't seen any mention of the care for the plastic body parts around the bottom of the car. What's the best way to care for that? I want mine to stay black.

also

What are your thoughts on the California Duster? It seems like it would scratch the finish.

#30 OFFLINE   CanuckG35

CanuckG35

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

Canuck, thanks for all your helpful info.

I was checking out the carnauba waxes on www.detailedimage.com, but there are a lot of brands I have never heard of. What would you recommend for my platinum white edge? I would like something that has a high shine; and I do wax my cars regularly.
Thanks.

One of the best carnuba waxes for the money is Natty's Paste Wax. For your colour, I would recommend Natty's Red. Dodo Juice Diamond White and Pinnacle Souveran are extremely good as well, but significantly more expensive.

#31 OFFLINE   CanuckG35

CanuckG35

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

I looked up the Menzerna Power Lock on eShine.ca They're recommend using an orbital polisher.. I only have have terry cloth towels.

Other then saving time in application, are there any other advantages to using a polisher when applying a sealant?

Also, for a black finish, do you have any recommendations for a polish? I want a super duper high gloss :D

Duplicate post.

Edited by CanuckG35, 05 October 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   CanuckG35

CanuckG35

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

I never use an orbital when applying or removing a sealant, but you certainly can. The advantage of using an orbital when applying a sealant is that it provides a more even coverage than doing it by hand. You end up using more product though. One note though, DO NOT use terry cloth towels when applying or removing your sealant. They will definitely cause scratches on your paint. Pick up some good MF towels from Detailed Image.

If you are polishing though, a orbital will definitely be required. :)

#33 OFFLINE   CanuckG35

CanuckG35

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

I haven't seen any mention of the care for the plastic body parts around the bottom of the car. What's the best way to care for that? I want mine to stay black.

also

What are your thoughts on the California Duster? It seems like it would scratch the finish.

303 Aerospace or Poorboys Trim Restorer are great products for your black trim.

Personally, I am not a fan of the California Duster. A safer way to remove light dirt, dust, bird bombs, etc is to use Poorboys Spray & Wipe along with a couple of MF towels.

#34 OFFLINE   ttonyrob

ttonyrob

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

hi, CanuckG35
thank you for those information. They are very useful for a newbie like me.
Though my new edge is on the way to my home, I started to think of it, including the paint care.
Do you know how much do i need roughly for a 2011 edge to clay-caring, polishing and sealing, if I use Menzerna final polish PO85RD and power lock polymer sealant?

#35 OFFLINE   CanuckG35

CanuckG35

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

hi, CanuckG35
thank you for those information. They are very useful for a newbie like me.
Though my new edge is on the way to my home, I started to think of it, including the paint care.
Do you know how much do i need roughly for a 2011 edge to clay-caring, polishing and sealing, if I use Menzerna final polish PO85RD and power lock polymer sealant?

If you are looking to claybar/polish/seal your new Edge, you'll need the following products.

PC7424 (or something similiar)
pads
claybar
claybar lubricant. (Poorboys Spray & Wipe is what I use)
polishes
sealant
MF Towels

You are probably looking at least $300 to get initially setup with those products. It's a fair bit of money, however consider it an investment and they will also last you a long time. I can put together a proper package for you if you want.

#36 OFFLINE   ttonyrob

ttonyrob

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

If you are looking to claybar/polish/seal your new Edge, you'll need the following products.

PC7424 (or something similiar)
pads
claybar
claybar lubricant. (Poorboys Spray & Wipe is what I use)
polishes
sealant
MF Towels

You are probably looking at least $300 to get initially setup with those products. It's a fair bit of money, however consider it an investment and they will also last you a long time. I can put together a proper package for you if you want.

For both Final polish PO85RD and Power Lock sealant, they have 32Oz package. Is that one package is enough for the whole EDGE, or 2 ~ 3 more will be needed?
thx

#37 OFFLINE   CanuckG35

CanuckG35

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:13 PM

For both Final polish PO85RD and Power Lock sealant, they have 32Oz package. Is that one package is enough for the whole EDGE, or 2 ~ 3 more will be needed?
thx

A 32oz will not only do an entire Edge, once, it will do it several times over. Even the 16oz will last you quite awhile. :)

#38 OFFLINE   ttonyrob

ttonyrob

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

A 32oz will not only do an entire Edge, once, it will do it several times over. Even the 16oz will last you quite awhile. :)

thank you, CanuckG35 :hyper:

#39 OFFLINE   11Sport

11Sport

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

I dont see any clay bar for glass on detailimage. Do they carry it? I dont care for the glass srub. Griots does.

Canuck want to do you think about Griot's garage products? I havent use them or any of the others. its alway been Meguiar's. But Im going to get some PB wheel sealant and would like to get a clay bar for glass or something has good. Any ideas?

#40 OFFLINE   CanuckG35

CanuckG35

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

I dont see any clay bar for glass on detailimage. Do they carry it? I dont care for the glass srub. Griots does.

Canuck want to do you think about Griot's garage products? I havent use them or any of the others. its alway been Meguiar's. But Im going to get some PB wheel sealant and would like to get a clay bar for glass or something has good. Any ideas?

Claymagic's Fine Grade works extremely well on glass, and Detailed Image carries that.

Regarding Griot's Garage products, I've personally never used them. Having said that, I know a lot of people that use them and speak highly of them. Codyyfz here on this forum uses their products exclusively, maybe he can chime in and give his opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users