Ask A Professional Detailer?

I've got some OPT No Rinse but I was wondering what's the preferred standard shampoo for those days when I do have the hose out.

Any recommendations?

Wilson, you're an American I see. An excellent wash that's available OTC is Duragloss 901. Carquest carries it. one ounce per gallon of water

Edited by richy

Wilson, you're an American I see. An excellent wash that's available OTC is Duragloss 901. Carquest carries it. one ounce per gallon of water

Ha! I see you are an American also! North American that is.

Thanks for the recommendation Richy

Now that you mention it, I think I recall you saying something about 901 before.

Edited by wilsons66604

Today I noticed that somebody had scratched the pastic exterior molding along the bottom of the driver door. I'm not sure how it happened but it looks like a razor blade cut, about 4 inches long. Is there anything that could be done to correct or minimize the scratch? I'd even be up for replacing that section if that is an option. Any help is appreciated!

Edited by sd3000

Today I noticed that somebody had scratched the pastic exterior molding along the bottom of the driver door. I'm not sure how it happened but it looks like a razor blade cut, about 4 inches long. Is there anything that could be done to correct or minimize the scratch? I'd even be up for replacing that section if that is an option. Any help is appreciated!

If it's a deep scratch then you'll have to fill it. The paint pens from paintscratch.com work well. If it's a very light scratch you might be able to rub it out with rubbing compound (clearcoat safe) but be careful.

Any chance you can take a pic of it and post it here? I would be able to advise much better if I can see a picture of what we are dealing with. :)

Any chance you can take a pic of it and post it here? I would be able to advise much better if I can see a picture of what we are dealing with. :)

Absolutely! Here is a pic. This morning i found more along the body of the car, but this is the only place in the plastic that is damaged.

Thanks again.

post-12118-024630500 1289863201_thumb.jpg

Edited by sd3000

It's hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like it's a textured plastic moulding piece, correct? If so, there really is no simple fix if you want it to look like new. You might be able to "improve" the appearance by sandinng the area, prime it, and paint it with an aerosol can that matches the original sheen of the molding the best. Working with textured plastic moulding is not easy. If it bugs you that much check to see how much it would cost to replace that particular piece.

Absolutely! Here is a pic. This morning i found more along the body of the car, but this is the only place in the plastic that is damaged.

Thanks again.

This lower plastic was one reason I opted for a non-Sport model. I figured it could stand up to my rough treatment better than the Sport's body kit.

Don't they make repair kits for this stuff? Like some kind of filler?

This lower plastic was one reason I opted for a non-Sport model. I figured it could stand up to my rough treatment better than the Sport's body kit.

Don't they make repair kits for this stuff? Like some kind of filler?

Yes, there is definitely a filler you can purchase, which I forgot to mention in my last post. It will "improve" the appearance for sure, but it's very difficult to make it look like new again.

Yes, there is definitely a filler you can purchase, which I forgot to mention in my last post. It will "improve" the appearance for sure, but it's very difficult to make it look like new again.

I'll check on the cost to replace it. It is quite annoying to see it every time I get into the car.

Thanks for your feedback!

I'll check on the cost to replace it. It is quite annoying to see it every time I get into the car.

Thanks for your feedback!

In case anybody is curious, the Ford dealer here in San Diego charges $65 for these plastic parts. Not too bad to replace them if they get messed up.

Hi Canuck,

I'm looking into car care/detailing kits to request one for Christmas :stats:

I've seen a lot of praise for Groit's Garage products around the internet, so I was looking at a package like this from them.

What do you think of Groit's Garage car care products? Are there any other all-inclusive kits out there you'd recommend? Looking to spend no more than $200.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by hunter4814

Hi Canuck,

I'm looking into car care/detailing kits to request one for Christmas :stats:

I've seen a lot of praise for Groit's Garage products around the internet, so I was looking at a package like this from them.

What do you think of Groit's Garage car care products? Are there any other all-inclusive kits out there you'd recommend? Looking to spend no more than $200.

Thanks a lot!

I personally haven't used Griot's Garage products so unfortunately I can not comment on them from personal experience. I've heard they make great products though. I can certainly help you choose a good car care detailing kit though. Are you located in the US or in Canada?

Hi... I have my 2011 Edge Black/Black for 3 months now... I have been successful keeping it swirl free so far following advise from these posts and other readings so far... as you know winter is right around the corner and I am concerned about clearing the snow off using a snow brush... is there any way I can minimize the damage? Any soft snow brushes or other products you can recommend to make it through the winter with minimal damage? Thank you in advance!

Hi... I have my 2011 Edge Black/Black for 3 months now... I have been successful keeping it swirl free so far following advise from these posts and other readings so far... as you know winter is right around the corner and I am concerned about clearing the snow off using a snow brush... is there any way I can minimize the damage? Any soft snow brushes or other products you can recommend to make it through the winter with minimal damage? Thank you in advance!

Winter around the corner? Where are you? It has been beating me up for two months already.

One good thing to do is tape a Microfiber towel around your snow brush making sure none of the bristles of the brush are exposed. And just to be on the safe side, try and leave a cm or so of snow so that nothing physically touches your panels. The remainder of the snow will likely blow off anyways. :)

One good thing to do is tape a Microfiber towel around your snow brush making sure none of the bristles of the brush are exposed. And just to be on the safe side, try and leave a cm or so of snow so that nothing physically touches your panels. The remainder of the snow will likely blow off anyways. :)

That's a good idea... I guess I need to tape it in such a way that the tape does not touch the panels either... have you used this method yourself? Just regular tape? Thanks!

That's a good idea... I guess I need to tape it in such a way that the tape does not touch the panels either... have you used this method yourself? Just regular tape? Thanks!

I've done it to show customers, however I've never had to actually use it as I've always garaged my vehicles. And yes, you'll need to tape it perpendicular to the bristles so that it doesn't touch the paint. I use duct tape as it holds well. I can do this to a snow brush that I have here and take a pic if you want.

I personally haven't used Griot's Garage products so unfortunately I can not comment on them from personal experience. I've heard they make great products though. I can certainly help you choose a good car care detailing kit though. Are you located in the US or in Canada?

That would be great! I am located in the US.

I like to keep me vehicles spotless (I'm known on the block as the vehicle perfectionist), although the methods I use to do so would probably make you squirm. I use one bucket, wash with with an old dish towel, dry with an old bath towel, etc. I have recently upgraded to micro-fiber cloths for the detailing, though, although it's usually only to apply a spray on turtle wax... :sos:

I've never realized how improper my methods are, and it's kind of confusing because it doesn't seem to be doing any harm... Anyways, I'm ready to move on to some higher quality car care products. I don't really think my vehicles need polishing (although I'm probably not qualified to make that judgement), but I think they definitely need a sealant, which I have never used before. An interesting option from Griot is a one-step polish and sealant.

So, what do you recommend for me to start upgrading my car care methods? Should I start with a general car care kit, or a sealant kit, etc.?

Thanks so much for your help!

That would be great! I am located in the US.

I like to keep me vehicles spotless (I'm known on the block as the vehicle perfectionist), although the methods I use to do so would probably make you squirm. I use one bucket, wash with with an old dish towel, dry with an old bath towel, etc. I have recently upgraded to micro-fiber cloths for the detailing, though, although it's usually only to apply a spray on turtle wax... :sos:

I've never realized how improper my methods are, and it's kind of confusing because it doesn't seem to be doing any harm... Anyways, I'm ready to move on to some higher quality car care products. I don't really think my vehicles need polishing (although I'm probably not qualified to make that judgement), but I think they definitely need a sealant, which I have never used before. An interesting option from Griot is a one-step polish and sealant.

So, what do you recommend for me to start upgrading my car care methods? Should I start with a general car care kit, or a sealant kit, etc.?

Thanks so much for your help!

Yikes, let's get that corrected right away! :) :shades:

Here are a couple of packages from Detailed Image that would be good to start with. George at DI is fantastic to deal with and their customer service is top notch.

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-M29/Washing-and-Drying-Starter-Package-P148/

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-M29/Sampler-Towel-Kit-P345/

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-M29/Polish-and-Protection-Starter-Kit-P150/

Ok, here's my washing routine which some of you may remind of "nails on the chaulk board"

I live in a condo and must wash my car at a car wash. I use a single bucket and microfiber sponge. I dry the car with a chamois and microfiber towels. I use both Meguiars and Turtle Wax Ice. Cars look pretty good.

My worst problems because I park the car in a lot, water spots from sprinklers.

Ok, done dragging my fingers nails across the chaulk board.

Yikes, let's get that corrected right away! :) :shades:

Here are a couple of packages from Detailed Image that would be good to start with. George at DI is fantastic to deal with and their customer service is top notch.

http://www.detailedi...r-Package-P148/

http://www.detailedi...Towel-Kit-P345/

http://www.detailedi...arter-Kit-P150/

Yikes!!

Welcome back to the thread Canuck!

Any thoughts on the your new Edge's paint finish?

I was really pleased with my Black. It's loaded with so much flake, it looks almost dusty at times.

Yikes!!

Welcome back to the thread Canuck!

Any thoughts on the your new Edge's paint finish?

I was really pleased with my Black. It's loaded with so much flake, it looks almost dusty at times.

Thanks Scott! :)

Ever since I picked my Edge up last week, the roads have been a little on the crappy side with rain and a little bit of snow. Needless to say, it hasn't exactly been clean since I drove it out of the showroom. I plan on doing my detail (wash/claybar/polish/sealant/carnuba) this weekend in the garage so I'll have a better idea of what the paint is like. I'll also take a measurement with my paint thickness gauge to see how is measures up to other vehicles. I'll report back and hopefully take pictures this weekend.

Edited by CanuckG35