Compass display is not correct

I am wondering if others have the same compass display error.

On the right dash screen when the compass is being displayed, the directions are not correct. For example, when I am proceeding westbound the display shows N-W-S, 180 degrees from what is correct S-W-N. If that example is not clear consider when proceeding North the display shows E-N-W (East is left and West is right which is 180 degrees from what is correct). Anyone else?

I am wondering if others have the same compass display error.

On the right dash screen when the compass is being displayed, the directions are not correct. For example, when I am proceeding westbound the display shows N-W-S, 180 degrees from what is correct S-W-N. If that example is not clear consider when proceeding North the display shows E-N-W (East is left and West is right which is 180 degrees from what is correct). Anyone else?

Hi phlatlander. :D In the Owners Manual are instructions on how to perform a compass calibration procedure. Try performing the calibration procedure to correct the error. If that does not work, then a service visit will probably be necessary.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Consider the compass as a ball that is fixed in space. When you turn, it's actually the vehicle rotating around the compass. Thus when you are going North and turn left (to go west), since the ball doesn't move, you rotate around it to the side that says West. Sounds like everything is correct to me.

Consider the compass as a ball that is fixed in space. When you turn, it's actually the vehicle rotating around the compass. Thus when you are going North and turn left (to go west), since the ball doesn't move, you rotate around it to the side that says West. Sounds like everything is correct to me.

This is the way I see it also, to see for yourself get a piece of paper and put S at the bottom, N at the top, W to the right, and E to the left. This is the opposite of the way a map is normally laid out. Put this paper on a flat surface and then get a toy car :yup: or some object and move the object around the paper and you will see why the display is as it is.

I had to think about it while I was driving and got home and tried the above to see why it is the way it is.

This is the way I see it also, to see for yourself get a piece of paper and put S at the bottom, N at the top, W to the right, and E to the left. This is the opposite of the way a map is normally laid out. Put this paper on a flat surface and then get a toy car :yup: or some object and move the object around the paper and you will see why the display is as it is.

I had to think about it while I was driving and got home and tried the above to see why it is the way it is.

Or just look at any suspended ball compass made for cars. They're exactly the same.

In order to display the compass problem (i.e. N-W-S instead of S-W-N) perhaps this image will better explain it.

The top image is from my Edge dash taken this am. Note the N is left of W. This would suggest that to turn North you would turn left - INCORRECT. When proceeding west, you turn right to head North.

Bottom left is a hand held compass, note W-N-E. Bottom right is an aircraft directional gyro, note W-N-E

Although the Edge compass correctly displays the direction, it incorrectly displays the compass face.

The -11 is -11 Celsius so it's not that cold.

edge_compass.jpg

Wrong again. Waldo is correct. The compasses you showed are ones where you move the dial and the needle stays stationary. So of course those show it the way you expect.

The Edge is emulating a ball suspended in fluid. the ball is stationary and the vehicle moves around the ball. If you turn left, the pointer actually moves to the right and vice versa since the ball doesn't move. Look at these examples. There is no other way for a ball type compass to work.

cg_ball.gif

24-ball_compass.jpg

ss0.jpg

Look closely at that picture of the dial compass in the guy's hand. While it's clear that it's pointing west, which direction is actually closest to the user? If the dial were actually a ball that you couldn't see through, you would only be able to see the E, even though you are pointed W.

The last images ball with clip prove my point as viewed from above.

..........N

...W........E

..........S

24-ball_compass.jpg

When viewed from the front the ball compasses all show W to the right and E to the left, just like the Edge.

It's very simple - if you're going North and want to go West, you turn 90 degrees counterclockwise. 90 degrees counterclockwise on the ball is to the right, therefore W is to the right and E is to the left.

Edited by akirby

Perhaps this photo will clear up the confusion. The Edge is parked in my driveway pointed West, therefore N is to my right. The bottom half of the picture is the Edge map taken minutes ago.

Note along the top right, reading left to right: W View Dest. W is the direction the car is pointed - correct.

The car position is the red triangle/arrow with a circle around and it is pointing West - correct.

Note the larger red triangle arrow in the upper left hand corner and it is pointing North (or to the right if you prefer) - correct.

On the compass, which is pointing West, N is to the left - incorrect.

edge_map.jpg

Listen, I understand EXACTLY what you're saying and I agree that having N to the left and S to the right looks backwards. But it has to be that way for the compass to work like a ball compass.

Picture the ball inside being stationary. If the vehicle is pointing West like your picture, and you turn left to go South then the car rotates around the compass counterclockwise and it now points South. That's the only way it can work.

Try this - in a parking lot face North. Then make 4 ninety degree turns. The compass will be correct at all times. If the directions were reversed like you're suggesting then it would be wrong.

The ball compasses in my pictures look reversed to just like the one in the Edge, but that's just how they have to be made.

The compass display is made to represent the way a old style ball compass works. For that purpose the display is correct and works the way it should. That is the way Ford designed it. The pointer show the correct direction that the front of the car is pointed, it is NOT intended to do anything else.

Perhaps this photo will clear up the confusion. The Edge is parked in my driveway pointed West, therefore N is to my right. The bottom half of the picture is the Edge map taken minutes ago.

Note along the top right, reading left to right: W View Dest. W is the direction the car is pointed - correct.

The car position is the red triangle/arrow with a circle around and it is pointing West - correct.

Note the larger red triangle arrow in the upper left hand corner and it is pointing North (or to the right if you prefer) - correct.

On the compass, which is pointing West, N is to the left - incorrect.

You are comparing a ball compass to a map??

I think Kirby's initial explanation said it all. The ball stays in one place and the car rotates around it.

Look at another way. Picture a cube sitting on the ground with the direction you're facing printed on each vertical face. It looks like this:

------S-----

------------

E---------W

------------

-----N-----

As you walk around the cube, you are facing the correct direction as noted on the cube. But if you notice when you're facing North and looking at the adjacent cube faces - E is to the left and W is to the right.

It obviously works as Ford intended, the compass display is made to represent the way a old style ball compass works.

Regardless, I would prefer a map oriented compass. I agree with Philander.

He wasn't talking about preference, he said it was incorrect, there is a difference. It may not work the way we prefer it to, but it is working correctly for what it is, an image of a floating ball compass. I do agree that first impression is that it is not right, but after studying the view it is correct for what it was intended to be.

I don't know that if I had an option it would be my first choice but it is what we have for now. :beatdeadhorse:

Edited by curlysir

Guess I'm getting slower (now that I am officially a senior citizen) but I finally get what is meant by a ball compass so thanks for contributor's inputs and patience

ford_edge.jpg

I still don't like the Edge display and would prefer a map/compass presentation. As the system is digital it should not be difficult to give the owner a choice.

And Curlysir, thanks for the "beating a dead horse" gif...

Edited by phlatlander

• 4 months later...

I think when you spend 30-40K for a vehicle, the compass should be correct. I have a NISSAN PATHFINDER (2004) which has a compass that actually is correct. I used it a lot. I am directionally challenged and thought I could depend on this technologically advanced vehicle. NOT. I am not happy about this. I know it is a small problem, but it is very annoying. I have not taken it to the dealership to see what they say, but when I do, I will repost. Should be interesting. I don't know how they can explain it. In the owner's manual, there is a procedure to recalibrate the compass. However, all of the 'buttons' listed to 'push' are not available. Strange, I'd say.

• 2 years later...

:doh: Same Problem on my 2011 Fusion. By any chance did you happen flip the mirror. I sit up pretty high and my mirror rides kinda low and I flipped it and NE became NW. It seems the N and S are correct but the East and West are backwards. My sensors for the compass are hidden in the rear view

Mirror and I flipped it back around and all the world was once again right. Just a thought.

--Wook