AC blowing hot when sitting but cold while driving?

4x4

Turn on the engine when it's cold and turn the A/C on max. Both fans should come on. If they don't it's the fans.

A/C blowing hot is a classic symptom - it means there is no air being drawn across the condensor coil so no cooling. When you start moving you get airflow over the coil.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

2009 Ford Edge AWD Limited. I have the same issue: AC is cold while car is moving. No overheating issue as of yet (fingers crossed). I think I will first troubleshoot the fan issue. I already refilled the refrigerant last summer and used AC Manifold Gauges to confirm pressures. So I am narrowing it down to the fans or the ac clutch. Any tips or advice as to replacement of the fans?

Pretty straightforward. Only thing you might have to watch out for is the possibility of a bolt at the bottom of the radiator that needs to be removed before the fans will come out. Also, flush out the Specialty Gold coolant. Replace with Motorcraft Specialty Green OR an extended life universal coolant from Peak, Prestone, Zerex, etc. Should meet the specification stated in the owner's manual for the coolant. Specialty Gold coolant has been found to cause cooling system corrosion, that is why Ford has a procedure in place to replace it with Specialty Green.

Ā 

Specialty Gold, RIP.

Ā 

2011 Edge, but yours should be very similar

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

Pretty straightforward. Only thing you might have to watch out for is the possibility of a bolt at the bottom of the radiator that needs to be removed before the fans will come out. Also, flush out the Specialty Gold coolant. Replace with Motorcraft Specialty Green OR an extended life universal coolant from Peak, Prestone, Zerex, etc. Should meet the specification stated in the owner's manual for the coolant. Specialty Gold coolant has been found to cause cooling system corrosion, that is why Ford has a procedure in place to replace it with Specialty Green.

Ā 

Specialty Gold, RIP.

Ā 

2011 Edge, but yours should be very similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9P63Ju2B78

Thanks for the video and coolant advice. I was able to check the car yesterday, and it was definitely the fans. No movement at all. I will be ordering the part and replacing this ASAP. Of course it has to happen during a heat wave this week!

• Like 2