2009 Factory Sony Nav system

Just wanted to start a topic on that newer 2009 Sony factory nav system. I wonder if anyone will be swapping their current factory Pionner nav for that new 2009 Sony nav with Travel Link and backup camera? I played with it this weekend in one of those icky Flex's and it looked pretty nice. Clean interface is way more "modern" feeling - colors, buttons shapes and styles, flow of interface, etc. As well, it has that bitchen Travel Link and I was able to get some weather data and gas prices real time. very cool. plus, I did not know this until I saw it, it has an backup camera integrated with the nav screen as well - something we do not have on our factory navs (unless you want to send the nav unit out to get the motherboard altered). and of course, Sync integrated etc.

So, it kind of begs the question if it will be possible to swap plug and play upgrade to this unit IF you wanted to spend the money. Several of these feature: keeps it Sync capable (without having to use modules/hacks), backup camera ability/intergration in the nav screen, Travel Link features, more modern interface. Heck, it 'might' even have a newer and better DVD map system (more/better streets and POIs) then the one we have now (Navteq 6p or 7p). Not sure about that yet and hoping this thread can evolve into more detail on 2009 Sony factory nav system.

I would be curious about IF the size would fit where our screen is now, if it is even swappable, etc. I mentioned elsewhere that the actual camera unit is part of the rear emblem (it is embedded just under the emblem) so that could be a cool possible clean integration as well if it is the same size and form factor as ours.

if anyone learns more about this part, post up. I will as well as it could be a way to get a more modern nav that is Sync friendly and backup camera possible and supported by Ford.

Yep.. Sony now.. they make it very clear to you when the nav starts up :)

also, IIRC, there is not even that annoying disclaimer screen you must acknowledge about being an adult and making smart decisions while driving blah blah :rolleyes: before you can access the nav system

so yeah, not sure if it is the same dimensions or harness change. I have made friends with the fleet guy at my dealer - both avid runners - and he is going to do a little research for me I will pass on.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Based on a question I was PM'd, I kind of want to revive this topic.

When I first bought this topic up, the units were announced and about to starting to come out so very little was know other than press release info and stock photos. there was some speculation and unknowns at the time. Also, based on what I understood back in July, it would not be doable - from Ford, from fleet managers, from some other web links I found (I do not recall or bookmark them).

Back then, at the time, the speculated issue would have been that the form factor is different. That is, actual size of the nav unit may be a different opening. thus, not sure how it would line up and fit into existing opening. Speculation was the new 2009 nav unit is wider for example and has another button option called "I" for "Info", so that would mean the nav unit is also likely taller. so the thought was that both of these may have ramifications on the entire center console fitment. That is, pulling off the center console and then pulling out the 2008 nav unit is no problem, but then to just plug and play in a 2009 nav unit with a potential different form factor into the opening and having your center console also fit around it.. you see.. there were concerns it would not be possible.

well now, many months later, I would say it likely is possible. I have since seen actual photos of the units in cars, touched & used one, and the form factor looks the same to me. yes, buttons have been moved around, some removed, new ones added, but all what looks to be in the same form factor from true install photos in true existing cars - not press mock-up photos from the auto shows.

So now, my only concern would be the behind the scenes under pinnings of the system we cannot see in these photos. the wiring. is it different now? not likely, but it would be costly to buy that unit and find out. also, how does Sync now interact with those units given they have different abilities? the "info" button and "travel link" data for example. would Sync know this when you plug in a 2009 unit into a 2008 system? one would assume yes, as there are not several different sync systems and the commands are likely just tucked away and not used in a 2008 system but called upon in a 2009 system, but not 100% sure. and there was the recent 1.1 and 1.2 Sync updates. how do those play into it. these would now be my concerns, and not so much the form factor as it was a concern early on.

also at the time, and never talked about in anything I ever read, is that Sirius users now have to pay additional costs to get the Travel Link services. This is known now, not talked about then as it was kind of insinuated that as a Sirius subscriber, which is what you need to get the Travel Link cool data, you got it as part of the service you paid for as it travels in on the same data feed. Not so, it is an additional $7 a month for all that fun cool data - not all that surprising I guess.

post-2453-1229968550_thumb.png post-2453-1229969528_thumb.png

Edited by Lex Talionis

Lex, you've got some great enthusiasm, but I think you're grossly underestimating the task here. These modules are all hooked up on the CAN network. They talk to each other through codes and expect certain codes in response. The wiring is the easy part, it's getting the configurations set up that is difficult. You need to tell the car that it has a new NAV system and need to be sure the cluster, the PCM, the ABS module and others are sending the right signals for the NAV to interpret. I might be possible, but there will be a lot of tails.

Lex, you've got some great enthusiasm, but I think you're grossly underestimating the task here. These modules are all hooked up on the CAN network. They talk to each other through codes and expect certain codes in response. The wiring is the easy part, it's getting the configurations set up that is difficult. You need to tell the car that it has a new NAV system and need to be sure the cluster, the PCM, the ABS module and others are sending the right signals for the NAV to interpret. I might be possible, but there will be a lot of tails.

yeah.. I think we agree on the underpinnings being the unknown... to a degree. the last part of my last post says as much.

BUT, putting a new nav system in the car and telling it are pretty easy. read these forums & web search, many people have taken out the stock head unit nav systems and swapped in new head unit nav system and gotten modules that allow them to talk to an ipod, steering wheel controls, Sirius, etc. heck, here is just a recent one with some specs. so, that is not really an issue. the issue is really if the harness from the system will mate up to that 2009 nav unit and or if not, what about a harness adaptor. that is what I think.

and think about this..

1. new or replaced or OEM or after-market Nav units can work. that is proven. people have done it. many times. so that is covered.

2. Sirius - modules can be attained to tie your new nav unit into the existing Sirius tuner. so that is covered

3. get the travel link data - once you get the module that allows your new head-unit to talk to the installed sirius tuner, that will come in on the same signal IF you pay $7 a month. so that is covered.

4. you can get modules to tie certain nav units to the steering wheel system. so that is covered.

5. Sync... well, there is an issue agreed

so.. I certainly think there are hurdles, but not exactly the ones you mention or seem to think or ones that cannot seem to be overcome. "cluster", "pcm", "abs" - seems these are all covered as people are taking out the stock nav system - if we just focus on that fact alone - they do not like and putting in after-market, and they are working. so not sure what to tell you there.

Edited by Lex Talionis

• 1 month later...

I recently picked up a 2008 LTD AWD with Nav, I didn't learn till after I brought it home that it was a 2009 version nav. Originally this vehicle came from the factory with the 6 dis CD changer. Unfortunatley there are some issues with this setup. No Sync access, no USB, no bluetooth. The travel link, gps nav, steering wheel controls and siruis work well. Through some digging I found out that a aftermarket audio company in Denver( Cartoys) installed this unit. I willbe incontact with them to see if they have any insight on getting some of the other features to operate.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I recently picked up a 2008 LTD AWD with Nav, I didn't learn till after I brought it home that it was a 2009 version nav. Originally this vehicle came from the factory with the 6 dis CD changer. Unfortunatley there are some issues with this setup. No Sync access, no USB, no bluetooth. The travel link, gps nav, steering wheel controls and siruis work well. Through some digging I found out that a aftermarket audio company in Denver( Cartoys) installed this unit. I willbe incontact with them to see if they have any insight on getting some of the other features to operate.

Any update? Seems like the Sync module isn't communicating with the navigation unit.

• 1 year later...

I installed a 2009 Nav unit in our 2008 Edge with factory navigation unit. I had to reprogram the radio using a VCM and IDS software. I used the 2009 Ford Expedition as-built codes with the same options and it also included the backup camera option. All the steering wheel controls work as well as sync and travel link. So It can be done.

post-4593-086708800 1282578506_thumb.jpg

post-4593-037344500 1282578534_thumb.jpg

post-4593-081710300 1282578572_thumb.jpg

post-4593-078692200 1282578595_thumb.jpg

post-4593-017070900 1282579034_thumb.jpg

post-4593-058214000 1283269368_thumb.jpg

Edited by er65nsunny

Was any special wiring required for the steering wheel controls ? ( it was on the 08 to 08 swap ). Or was it program, plug and pray ??

Since the 08 had the steering wheel controls no special wiring was required. I had to program the radio so the vehicle would comunicate with it. The wiring for the radio is the same for a 08 and 09.

I purchased the unit off Ebay. The person removed it from an Edge. The part number is AL1T18K931AD which I found out is actually for the 2010 model year for the Edge, F-Super Duty, Econoline and Expeditions. When I hooked up the unit everything seemed to work. I then hooked up the VCM and used the IDS software and it showed DTC's for the radio. When you first use the VCM and IDS it scans the vehicle according to the VIN number It then asks if the Vehicle is a 2008 or 2009 I tried to reprogram the radio using 2008 but it would not program the radio you have to choose the 2009 because the NAV unit is used in the 2009 - 2010 model years. Then you have to go under program moduals and reprogram the radio. As long as the vehicles have the same options it should work. You just need the VIN number and go to http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/SPubs/default.asp?pageid=spubs_as_call&menuIndex1=34 Type in the VIN and it gives you the AS-Built code look for code 727 which is for the ACM "audio control module" Their are six codes you have to type in using the IDS software. So I used the Expedition and I didn't know the Expedition had the camera option till I hooked up the rear camera. But everything works and now their are no DTC's using the VCM and IDS. If you look at the scans of the IDS it shows that the ACM passes both the optional equipment modual test and network test which means the ACM is communicating with the vehicle.

post-4593-023747000 1283004527_thumb.jpg

post-4593-063508100 1283004541_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Just to push this back up to the top and throw in a bit of a curve, I figured I'd check in here.

I just bought an '08 MKX with the Nav/Sync unit, but really would like to upgrade it to the 09/10 model instead. I spent a lot of time test driving new ones before getting a great deal on a used one, and got spoiled by the Sony nav unit. So, like the original poster asked: what's really involved in a swap? Is the harness the same, and is there anything else I need to get to make this work? I know there's some programming involved to get it to cooperate with the car, but is that all? I'll do it if there's not a lot of additional parts (amps, new harness, etc) and as long as all of the functionality is still there.

If somebody has done this and figured out how it works, please let me know. If you would rather PM me, that's cool. I'm not going to hold anybody accountable here, just want to get a good understanding of what's involved so I can decide whether it's worth the money and work. If it's an easy swap with maybe a day of work to get it going, that's totally worth it to me. I might even wire up the backup camera while I'm at it.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi all,

Just to push this back up to the top and throw in a bit of a curve, I figured I'd check in here.

I just bought an '08 MKX with the Nav/Sync unit, but really would like to upgrade it to the 09/10 model instead. I spent a lot of time test driving new ones before getting a great deal on a used one, and got spoiled by the Sony nav unit. So, like the original poster asked: what's really involved in a swap? Is the harness the same, and is there anything else I need to get to make this work? I know there's some programming involved to get it to cooperate with the car, but is that all? I'll do it if there's not a lot of additional parts (amps, new harness, etc) and as long as all of the functionality is still there.

If somebody has done this and figured out how it works, please let me know. If you would rather PM me, that's cool. I'm not going to hold anybody accountable here, just want to get a good understanding of what's involved so I can decide whether it's worth the money and work. If it's an easy swap with maybe a day of work to get it going, that's totally worth it to me. I might even wire up the backup camera while I'm at it.

Thanks,

Scott

I installed the 2009-2010 nav unit in our 2008 Ford Edge that had the nav unit with the steering wheel controls. I purchased the unit off Ebay which was removed from an 2010 Edge, It included the external amp, I had to purchase an extension cable for the sirius antenna since that gets plugged into the radio instead of the sirius module. The wiring harnesses are the same so no modification is needed. I reprogrammed the radio myself because the dealers said that installing the newer radio could not be installed in the vehicle, I think only because they do not know how to do it. I bought a VCM and the IDS software which hooks upto the vehicle and is used to reprogram the radio. If you could find one to use that would save you some money they run about $1500 I used a 2009 Ford Expedition as-built codes for the radio because the Expedition had the backup camera option. But I am not sure If the start up logo would change with the as-build codes. It is fairly an easy swap and can be done. I think the layout of the new nav unit is much better than the 2008 model I am very pleased how it turned out and everything works, sync, sirius and the backup camera.

I installed the 2009-2010 nav unit in our 2008 Ford Edge that had the nav unit with the steering wheel controls. I purchased the unit off Ebay which was removed from an 2010 Edge,

Do you have the part number for the 2010 nav unit? I'm not having much luck locating a 2010 unit on eBay. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms or something.

Do you have the part number for the 2010 nav unit? I'm not having much luck locating a 2010 unit on eBay. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms or something.

The part number is AL1T18K931AD which I found out is actually for the 2010 model year for the Edge, F-Super Duty, Econoline and Expeditions

post-4593-082872400 1283792075_thumb.jpg

Edited by er65nsunny

I installed the 2009-2010 nav unit in our 2008 Ford Edge that had the nav unit with the steering wheel controls. I purchased the unit off Ebay which was removed from an 2010 Edge, It included the external amp, I had to purchase an extension cable for the sirius antenna since that gets plugged into the radio instead of the sirius module. The wiring harnesses are the same so no modification is needed. I reprogrammed the radio myself because the dealers said that installing the newer radio could not be installed in the vehicle, I think only because they do not know how to do it. I bought a VCM and the IDS software which hooks upto the vehicle and is used to reprogram the radio. If you could find one to use that would save you some money they run about $1500 I used a 2009 Ford Expedition as-built codes for the radio because the Expedition had the backup camera option. But I am not sure If the start up logo would change with the as-build codes. It is fairly an easy swap and can be done. I think the layout of the new nav unit is much better than the 2008 model I am very pleased how it turned out and everything works, sync, sirius and the backup camera.

OK, cool. Thanks for the info. How big is the external amp and where does it go? Does it just get crammed back behind the nav unit or is there another place for it somewhere? I'm fine with doing the work, and can track down the Sirius cable. I found a guy on eBay who can program these units if you give him the necessary info, so that should save me from either buying the equipment myself or buying a lot of beer for the local guy...although I don't really mind the latter. I know I'll have a little harder time tracking down the silver-colored Lincoln version of the Nav to make it look like it belongs in the dash, but I'm OK with that. Aside from the Sirius cable, it sounds like an easy deal to do at home.

So now I have to start looking for the nav unit. I'll post my results here once I get it.