Black Rims on 2012 Limited

ttusomeone

I bought a 2012 Edge Limited last month. It came with the stock 18'' chrome wheels. It's the Ruby Red color and I think it would look great with 20" black wheels. From what I've seen so far, I think the TSW Donington looks the best. Does anyone have an opinion on what other wheels may look good or have some pictures of an Edge with a similar color with 20" black wheels so I can get an idea of what it would look like? I've looked through the gallery and there are some nice looking Edge's in there with black wheels. Also, if anyone is interested in buying my stock 18" chrome wheels or tires, let me know (it would be easier to convince my wife I need new wheels and tires if I could sell the stock ones). I would be willing to sell the wheels and tires separetly if someone was interested in one or the other. I'm located in Nashville, TN and would be willing to ship (I also posted an add in the classified section). Thanks!

I bought a 2012 Edge Limited last month. It came with the stock 18'' chrome wheels. It's the Ruby Red color and I think it would look great with 20" black wheels. From what I've seen so far, I think the TSW Donington looks the best. Does anyone have an opinion on what other wheels may look good or have some pictures of an Edge with a similar color with 20" black wheels so I can get an idea of what it would look like? I've looked through the gallery and there are some nice looking Edge's in there with black wheels. Also, if anyone is interested in buying my stock 18" chrome wheels or tires, let me know (it would be easier to convince my wife I need new wheels and tires if I could sell the stock ones). I would be willing to sell the wheels and tires separetly if someone was interested in one or the other. I'm located in Nashville, TN and would be willing to ship (I also posted an add in the classified section). Thanks!

Check out my Gallery.. I have the 22 TSW Snettertons and I think they look sick. I tried the Donningtons and didn't like them.. My Discount Tire Company happened to have a set in stock and put them on.. Also, if you aren't too sure about Black Rims then just get them in a Hyper Silver [NOT CHROME] and coat them in Plasti Dip. Tons of members on this forum has been playing with Plasti Dip and its amazing. Basically plastic spray paint that you can peel off if you don't like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out my Gallery.. I have the 22 TSW Snettertons and I think they look sick. I tried the Donningtons and didn't like them.. My Discount Tire Company happened to have a set in stock and put them on.. Also, if you aren't too sure about Black Rims then just get them in a Hyper Silver [NOT CHROME] and coat them in Plasti Dip. Tons of members on this forum has been playing with Plasti Dip and its amazing. Basically plastic spray paint that you can peel off if you don't like it.

Thanks Eatinitup. I checked out your gallery and also checked out the other TSW wheels (along with just about any black wheel I could fine on the web). In the end I decided to go with some 18" Montegi MR118, which I'm very happy with. I now have the stock chrome wheels for sale, which I plan to post in the classified section later.

post-21643-0-15818000-1334150592_thumb.jpg

Thanks Eatinitup. I checked out your gallery and also checked out the other TSW wheels (along with just about any black wheel I could fine on the web). In the end I decided to go with some 18" Montegi MR118, which I'm very happy with. I now have the stock chrome wheels for sale, which I plan to post in the classified section later.

Great choice!! In the end, its what you like and not what we tell you to like. You did a good job and the Edge looks AMAZING. Smooth and happy riding for you my friend! :rockon::rockon:

I think my next step will be to black out the chrome on the grille and along the top of the door. I'm thinking I'll give the 3M wrap a try to black it out.

The 3M Products really are great and the best all around to work with. Vinyl wrapping is literally like riding a bike.. You are going to screw a few pieces up but once you get the hang of it... It's an art that is good to have! Just don't tell too many friends you know how to do it.. They will consult you like you are their I.T. neighbor.. haha happy%20feet.gif:hysterical:

if matte black is what you are looking for your best bet is to buy some plasti dip spray and do that. it's cheap and easy to pull off if you don't like it.

I agree with C_Bova. It literally is a spray on plastic application. Review it on youtube. You can clear coat it and wet sand the stuff as well and it won't hurt it and it peels off like a sticker.. Literally.

I've looked into the stuff a little. Would I have to remove the front grille to put it on (may be easiest in the long run)? Also, if I used plasti dip on the grille, I still think I would use the 3M wrap on the chrome piece above the grille and along the doorframe (correct?).

You can still use the 3M or you could just take the chrome pieces off or simply tape them off with painters tape and some newspaper. The plasti dip is some what thick so you don't have an over spray or mist to worry about in most cases. Once it dries, if you don't like it.. Peel a corner and peel it off. At roughly 9$ a can.. Its definitely the cheaper route to take.

I've decided to do plasti dip on the grille and see how easy it going on. That will help me deside if I want to do 3M on the other pieces or plasti dip them. Either way I'm planning to tackle this project this weekend and I'll definitely post pictures and let everyone know how (hopefully) easy it was to do.

I've decided to do plasti dip on the grille and see how easy it going on. That will help me deside if I want to do 3M on the other pieces or plasti dip them. Either way I'm planning to tackle this project this weekend and I'll definitely post pictures and let everyone know how (hopefully) easy it was to do.

It is really easy stuff to use. Just remember, don't spray too close and don't GLOB it on.. Soft, smooth spray strokes at a reasonable distance and overlap it ever so l lightly. Make sure you don't get ahead of yourself and prep things properly. Spray in an area were there is little to no wind. Good luck, let us know how it looks.

Over the weekend I plasti dipped all the remaining chrome on my Edge (grill, chrome strip along door, chrome on back, and chrome lettering). It was actually much easier than I had thought. It took much longer to actually prep everything than to actually do the painting. I ended up putting on four coats, and I think it turned out really well. The main takeaway I had is when taping up around what you are painting, leave some space between the tape and the edge of what you're painting. For example, on the chrome strip at the top of the door, I taped it where the edge of the tape was going under the chrome peice to protect the window seal. However, when removing the tape, it was very difficult to keep it from pulling the plasti dip off the chrome piece I just painted. In hindsight I should have left a gap and just pulled the excess plasti dip off (It was very easy to remove the access on the other places).

post-21643-0-57481500-1334586101_thumb.jpg

post-21643-0-95221200-1334586111_thumb.jpg

post-21643-0-03987800-1334586124_thumb.jpg

post-21643-0-53198800-1334586143_thumb.jpg

post-21643-0-38243800-1334586160_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Over the weekend I plasti dipped all the remaining chrome on my Edge (grill, chrome strip along door, chrome on back, and chrome lettering). It was actually much easier than I had thought. It took much longer to actually prep everything than to actually do the painting. I ended up putting on four coats, and I think it turned out really well. The main takeaway I had is when taping up around what you are painting, leave some space between the tape and the edge of what you're painting. For example, on the chrome strip at the top of the door, I taped it where the edge of the tape was going under the chrome peice to protect the window seal. However, when removing the tape, it was very difficult to keep it from pulling the plasti dip off the chrome piece I just painted. In hindsight I should have left a gap and just pulled the excess plasti dip off (It was very easy to remove the access on the other places).

SICK!! You did an amazing job my friend. The 3M Products look really good but to be honest, they take a skill that not a lot of people have. The Plasti-Dip works really well and the more you use it, the better and better your technique gets.. I am so glad to hear that you wen't that direction, and it looks really good. Great MOD and a great JOB! +1

I can't speak for Arizona sun, but I do however live in Orlando Florida and I am sure we can compete with some of your sun, especially the Humidity. Other members have mentioned that it lasts a long time. Hell, at 8$ a can.. If it doesn't last, then just spray a new coat on there... There is a video on Youtube, were a kid sprayed his entire ROOF and WINDSHIELD of his car, just to demonstrate how easily it comes off.. It literally peeled off like a bandaid, LOL!

Now that I've done it once, I think I could do it again much quicker. That being said, like Eatinitup said, as cheap as it is (I found it as Lowe's for $6 a can), if it only lasts a year or two I'll take the few hours to paint it again. $20 and a couple hours of my time isn't much if I only have to do it every year or so (although I would expect it would hold up much longer than that).