Wife got into a fender bender, what is the name of that part? (see photo)

morningmist

Hello All,

My wife got into a small fender bender this morning. She basically advanced too soon into another vehicle while waiting at a red light (less than 1 mph!). No one got hurt (thank god) but the damage to the other vehicle (pontiac) bumper was pretty damaged.

It was more of a slow plow into the next vehicle. Anyhow, just the small grille piece below the bumper was damaged. Is is slightly caved in but not entirely broken.

What is the name of that part, model or part # and where online can I buy that? Or should we just bring our ford edge to the ford dealer? (please see attached photo)

Or does that whole section below the bumper need to be replaced? (I am just trying to save money, as our deductible on our insurance is 1000$)

Thanks!

post-22030-0-12861300-1332947865_thumb.jpg

according to fordparts.com it is part number 17K945 and is $22.72 or 51.35, not sure what the difference is in the two, one says with trailer towing and the other is without.

just go on there go to your year and model then body -> bumper -> and view image for what you need.

according to fordparts.com it is part number 17K945 and is $22.72 or 51.35, not sure what the difference is in the two, one says with trailer towing and the other is without.

just go on there go to your year and model then body -> bumper -> and view image for what you need.

Thanks so much! Is that easy to replace? Is it something I can do myself in my garage? I have a pretty extensive tool set, but what is the procedure to fix that?

Do I have to remove the lower bumper to do place that part in ?

no idea, i heard it's pretty easy to take the bumpers off these cars so I'm assuming one can do it them-self if they are handy.

thanks! is it something I can just snap into place from under or in front of the car?

I see that part 17K945 is also used on other ford vehicles like the fusion and mustang. Is that possible?

I'll leave it to someone who has that style bumper, I have a 2012 and I've only had it for a month and a half now. So I don't know how any of that stuff comes off.

edit: this might help you http://mechanixtrix.com/Article/Article.aspx?ArticleId=405

would I be able to buy that part and have a body shop do that for me?

also, what is the difference between the part on ford part's website (trailer towing and the other is without)

I don;t have a trailer on our ford edge.

yes you can buy the parts from that site. as far as any of the other questions i have no idea. talking to a body shop seems to be your best bet right now.

Also, can it be that that part 17K945 fits also the FORD FOCUS? I found that part 17K945 online for the ford focus.

So that same exact part that fits on the ford focus goes on the ford edge ?

Thank you so much for all of your help today.

Please see the attached photos of my ford edge 2010 sel and the damage.

My wife decided to bring it to the dealer to get an estimate.

Is it OK if I follow up later on in this thread to let you all know the progress?

This forum is GREAT! Thanks!

post-22030-0-26016300-1332979185_thumb.jpg

post-22030-0-10620500-1332979203_thumb.jpg

post-22030-0-41393900-1332979222_thumb.jpg

post-22030-0-13364600-1332979247_thumb.jpg

post-22030-0-71455200-1332979270_thumb.jpg

post-22030-0-21935600-1332979296_thumb.jpg

Edited by morningmist

It looks to me like it is the whole bottom of the bumper. If that is the case it could have ripped some of the mounting points I would say you would need the entire front bumper, bottom piece, and lower grill. As far as the reference number I would say if they all share it, it is telling you that it is part of the bumper/grill family. To give you an idea my dad was a Yamaha dealer and all of the Yamaha snowmobile belts had the same number. The only difference was the first 3 digits the numbers just told you it was a belt and the first 3 digits such as 8DN told you which snowmobile it fit.

It looks to me like it is the whole bottom of the bumper. If that is the case it could have ripped some of the mounting points I would say you would need the entire front bumper, bottom piece, and lower grill. As far as the reference number I would say if they all share it, it is telling you that it is part of the bumper/grill family. To give you an idea my dad was a Yamaha dealer and all of the Yamaha snowmobile belts had the same number. The only difference was the first 3 digits the numbers just told you it was a belt and the first 3 digits such as 8DN told you which snowmobile it fit.

Thanks 11edgelimited ! Yes, I first thought it was just the grille but I thought the same thing about the mounting points.

I guess we're looking at about 2000$+ of damage?! Our insurance deduction is 500$ and we have to pay for the rental car because it's my wife's fault.

Anyhow will keep you guys posted on this in the next few days and weeks... this forum is really great!

Built Ford Tough is right!

Thanks 11edgelimited ! Yes, I first thought it was just the grille but I thought the same thing about the mounting points.

I guess we're looking at about 2000$+ of damage?! Our insurance deduction is 500$ and we have to pay for the rental car because it's my wife's fault.

Anyhow will keep you guys posted on this in the next few days and weeks... this forum is really great!

Built Ford Tough is right!

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...