Replacing stock subwoofer

Is there a difference between the 08-10 and the 11-13 sub enclosure?

I just put a '11 MKX sub in my wife's '09 Edge, so I would say there is no difference. Hers has no sub, but I was able to easily detach the cubby from the back of the trim panel by cutting off the melted over pins on the back of the 'bucket'.

Does anyone know where to get a decent looking grille to cover the hole? I like the idea of it looking OEM. Also, I bought a harness adapter off Ebay and it came with a line level converter. I found a connector behind the front passenger kick panel that this connector fits, but when the connector is separated, the stereo operates normally, so I have my doubts whether this is the right connector. Any thoughts?

Leigh

Well, I got it done, without using the connector. The speaker connector is there behind the passenger kick panel, but it's forward of the connector that the Ebay seller supplied. I found the wire colours in another post, so I soldered the line level converter to the RF and RR speakers to maintain some sort of Fade control. The Remote signal wire is also there, just a single wire in its own conector, just above the other two large connectors. I had a lot of extra length on the RCA cable so I was able to tuck the converter away at the top of the kick panel and all I have to remove to get to it is the fan cover to get to it. Just two fir tree fasteners hold that in place, so easy adjustments to the sub level can be made.

I used a Kenwood 250W amp screwed directly to the back of the OEM sub and powered it via a 10ga wire directly to the battery side of the 100A megafuse in the engine bay fusebox.

Thank you Ford for not requiring dash removal to do simple add-ons to the stereo system in the Edge!

• 2 months later...

Regurgitating a bit more on this thread. I want to do the same as many of you, but I don't want to go as big. I want to use all stock amplifiers and just upgrade the sub. I'm only wanting to do this for the low frequency that I'm missing out on. A 8" bottoms out at roughly 35 Hz and a 10" will go down to around 24 Hz. How will the stock amp running a Kicker S10C4 sound?

I have an extra US Amps AX600DE and Image Dynamics IDMAX 12", but I'm mostly looking to keep it low key and utilize my trunk space for parent things. 14 week old...

Anyone upgrade the sub and use the stock amp? I'm guessing that the stock stereo plays the full bandwidth, I should be ok. I'm just wondering if anyone has $.02 for me. Please, thanks

I did something like that years ago in my Navigator. Had the stock 8 with the bolted back plate. Take it out, cut the bolt area and then JB Weld with silicone and plexiglass, modify the front for a 10. Worked really well for what it was. Of course, it's not likely you can get the exact volume specs for a 10, but it's better than an 8. I hate crap systems, but honestly the system in the 11 Sport I just bought is Dam fine compared to most any stock system I have ever heard. The bass is a little lacking, but overall i find it quite pleasing. My days of license plate rattling are long behind me now..... :drop:

I think you'd be surprised how thin you can make a box with the right sub and enough height. I'm building a sealed box for my 15" that currently takes up a ton of space. The box will only be 12" deep, but run across the whole of the driver's side trunk panel leaving plenty of room to store stuff to the right of it. If you were to replace the stock sub, I'd probably build a new enclosure, or buy a stealthbox... quality is 99% enclosure. I'm sure you could fit a ten in if you're willing to cut the plastic, but I'd be careful to say ALL tens go down "so" low.

• 1 year later...