C/D Pillar speakers

i popped the pillar covers off and if those are 3.5" speakers under there then they are the smallest 3.5" speakers I've ever seen. I have not pulled them out yet but they look like nothing more than a tweeter.

I replaced mine with these. Again, not guessing...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CF8QFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bostonacoustics.com%2FPDFs%2Fmanuals%2FSE35_Man.pdf&ei=Z4uoT6C6LoTs8wTP1bi2Aw&usg=AFQjCNH9O_g1kkUb7rHWh95-BHgG2kzHuw

My audio shop guy threw a shit fit when I asked him to have his people install my infinity 32.9 3.5" speakers in the pillars. He's a purist and thinks that after all the other stuff they put in that it was blasphemy to put speakers back there with upgraded tweeters. Something about blasting more highs toward the driver and passenger seats would be too much treble. I have enuf bass to shake parts loose now so I'm not quite sure why the duals would be such a huge deal back there. (I likes me music loud and low!) My theory is that even tho they put a nice Sony system in the stock Sport they are still crappy speakers in real world audio. What is wrong with an upgrade in any situation? They want to put a mid range only speaker back there. I guess I should trust the dude who has been in business making cars sound good for 20 years eh?

is it also a Boston speaker? We went with Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 10-Inch Step Up Shallow S4 Sub and that thing will give you a full body massage all the way up in the front seat. All my mirrors shake to where I can't make much out looking at them when the system is turned up. So Dingo, my Dad can beat up your Dad! ;-)

On another note, I am a bass freak and I want a 12" sub in there so they are looking at doing a custom box in the spare tire area. I may eventually have to keep a couple of cans of the green slime and not carry a spare. Hell, i'll just call Ford roadside service if I ever get a flat! I want my bass!!

Dingo, I got my tuxedo black wrap put on the chrome strips up front and it looks great. I remembered that my wife insures an auto body and paint repair shop so they threw it on for $20! Well worth me not having to do it if you ask me. Thanks for that idea if it was yours because it looks bad ass and it sets my Edge apart from the other two in town.

Hey Dingo, did you happen to take a pic of the stock pillar speaker that you could post up? I'm really serious as to what it actually looks like. And, do you feel like you are being over tweetered by your much higher quality pillar speakers? Or, do you just notice clearer and better sound coming from the back seats? I'm an audiophile and I'm going to hear it if its too much. What's your opinion on the end result?

Edited by Cdpratt69

Yeah, the wrap was me. Glad you like it.

I just looked and couldn't find where I put the old speakers. I think they're in my storage unit, so maybe I'll post pics tomorrow if I have time. And no, they're not overpowering at all. They give a nice subtle fill that's actually barely noticable from the front seats. Let me put it this way... I'm happy that I did them, and if I had it to do again, I still would, but more because I'm anal and want things to match than the sound.

• 1 year later...

I need your help!

We know that the Dash speaker and the two Rear-Pillar speakers are 3.5". Do you think that it possible to make 4" work/fit in these locations? I really would like to make a 4" fit because I don't think Focal makes a 3.5" (90mm) speaker. What would you do?

Edited by ealexharris