HITCH Install

I have seen many aftermarket hitches around for about 99-120. How much do you think it will take to install. It looks like youll have to take the heat shield off and cut it, drop the exhaust and a few other things. Im lazy.

I doubt that a Reese after market hitch would not be shaped to get around these objects. I ordered mine from the factory for the transmission cooler and the heavier battery. Check the Reese hitch website.

I have seen many aftermarket hitches around for about 99-120. How much do you think it will take to install. It looks like youll have to take the heat shield off and cut it, drop the exhaust and a few other things. Im lazy.

I had a Draw-Tite installed on mine. They did just as you described. I paid $210 for the hitch and labor. Only problem was there was no aftermarket wiring available at the time. About 2 weeks later, Draw-tite had one available and I paid another $97 for the harness and installation. They had to run a wire to the battery as there is no adapter to plug into the factory rear lighting harness yet. The shop that did my install had done some hitches for a local dealer as well.

I didn't want the factory hitch as I already had the 2" accessories including a basket. I don't tow much anyway so the other factory added extras didn't appeal even though they would have been nice to have.

post-1226-1188156189_thumb.jpg

After some research into after market hitches I have found out that DrawTite, Reese and Hidden Hitch are now all the same company and that there hitchs for the Edge are identical except the name. I purchased a Hidden Hitch from E-trailer.com and installed it myself in my driveway. The directions are simple and precise. You will need to trim the heat shield to allow room for the new mounting bolts. Here are some pictures with a Thule T2 bicycle rack mounted. The rack has been milled 1/2" so the rear hatch can open, the plastic wheel hoop was trimmed and I have only one of the bike trays on.

post-1238-1188488425_thumb.jpg

post-1238-1188488456_thumb.jpg

Edited by lml427

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...